Increase font size
Topic Title: allergic to work?
Topic Summary: intolerance testing
Created On: 14 June 2012 11:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 June 2012 11:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

Edit: This is an old thread but I am updating on 16/5/13

I'm allergic to a few things that I know about but it has been getting worse over the past few years and especially this year so I have had a detailed intolerance test done recently. On line',not through the GP because we don't have time for that do we? Had to send them a lock of hair.

There's alot about food on there which could be the cause, but they also run some non food tests. Things we touch or breathe.

The funniest one is direct contact with pigs, which tickles me. But mouse epithelium (? skin cells? will google later) and some bugs and beetles and chemicals show up. So I'm thinking about those lofts we go in. and the dust behind the sofa etc. Only today was I in a loft leaning on my fore-arms through long sleeves and right now I look as though I have been picking nettles.

It might be of interest to you, I shan't put the company name on here but if you do a google on intolerance testing they'll come up as obvious. based in Derbyshire.

Ha! not allergic to chocolate or champagne but forget the chamomile tea (brilliant, never again).

Zs

Edited: 16 May 2013 at 06:21 PM by Zs
 14 June 2012 11:23 PM

Legh

Stick your nose up a diesel exhaust, while wrapped up in fibre glass insulation eating a macdonalds burger.
that should sort out any problems you might have with allergies
As for shampoo and Belgium chocolates they do get boring after a while rather than dangerous .

You're probably suffering from a bout of hedonistic over indulgence....

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 14 June 2012 11:36 PM

sparkingchip

You'll get me going!

The sandwich shop in Malvern today had a special on offer " Brie, grapes and walnuts with mayonnaise" under this was the warning that it contains nuts.

The chip shop around the corner in Worcester has a jar of pickled eggs on the counter, on its label is the allergy warning that it contains eggs.

Andy
 15 June 2012 07:57 AM

Jobbo

My sister tried those intolerance, one via her GP and another online. Amazingly they came up completely different. Now she don't know what to believe. Me I'm starting to become allergic to work
 15 June 2012 10:26 AM

Zs

yes, i'm interested but mildly suspicious. Cats and red wine did not show up and both are hospital cases for me but long since avoided so possibly not in my DNA or whatever they use. However, there are some surprises on the list which feature daily so worth a whizz before the next phase which will be tiny injections of the key suspects.

But from the perspective of us jobbing electricians, which is why I posted; I have now looked up the latin names for types of mould and little creatures. They are indeed things with which we come into contact frequently whilst crawling around and sweeping up. One of the spiders is that beige one with the small body and really long legs. They are everywhere this year, moreso than in previous years.

Zs
 15 June 2012 10:50 AM

marclambert

My sympathies Zs,
weirdly enough I'm allergic to galv conduit..but not trunking it seems.
Even wearing gloves and coveralls doesn't help. Only need to be in the same room when it's being cut, tapped or generally handled.
Oh and work of course, that's why I teach now
 15 June 2012 07:44 PM

sparkingchip

Mind you, a few weeks ago I thought I had been bitten by bugs in a loft, the out of hours doctor said it was a allergy and take antihistamine, it turned out to be Chickenpox which appears to be finally clearing after about seven weeks and three outbreaks, the last being over last weekend.

Add that to the rain allergy I seem to be developing and the last couple of months ain't been good.

Andy
 16 May 2013 06:19 PM

Zs

Still rumbling along with this and today I spent the day at Imperial college being stabbed with all sort of things. I did not tell them what I do for a living.

The net result is that I feel like poo and am off to bed with a bumper pack of ventolin and looking something like a voodoo doll or a pincushion.

But you need to know these if you suffer at the end of a day's graft: It can be a rash, or respiratory problems, or swelling such as your ear lobes. Or, as I now know...all three. I do not look very fetching right now but it was worth it.

These are the contact and airbourne ones relevant to what we do. I'll not go into the foody ones.

Two different types of mould. One found in garden leaves and one was described to me as the black mould you see on damp walls and shower curtains.
All types of furry animals and their skin cells
House dust and dust mites. Reaction to those two was shocking, hence off to bed with an inhaler.

I'll tell you how they do it so you can test for yourself if you are allergic to work. It is so basic.

They write the names of things on a piece of surgical tape and stick it on your, cleaned with water only, fore arm. Then they put a drop of some elixir they have which is concentrated dog hair for example on the skin and prick through it with a tiny sharp point. No more than a pin prick. For things I took with me, such as squid and white wine,.they just put a mashed bit on my arm, pricked through it and then squished some of it into the pin prick. Their controls are a drop of histamine and a drop of water.

Fifteen minutes with no scratching and if a lump more than 2mm diameter comes up ( you will know cos it itches like mad), that is an allergy. You get a tiny reaction to the pin prick hence the 2mm rule. If you press a see-through ruler onto the bump it goes white. They feel the marks with their fingers and are looking for a raised bump.

They would not do the metals even though I am very suspicious of aluminium and galv steel, and I am going to do them myself after at least four days.

Medically confirmed, you may send chocolate.

It is a day off work for all this and a schlep into some teaching hospital. Waiting rooms and total guitar magazine all the way from cover to cover... all that. You can do it yourself because at the end all they say is take these pills or put up with it.

Zs
 16 May 2013 06:33 PM

OMS

Not feeling the Mae West then

Hope you feel better soon

OMS

Failure is always an option
 16 May 2013 07:16 PM

Thripster

I'm allergic to bees. It makes me come out in hives.
 17 May 2013 07:35 AM

SherlockOhms

Customers will do it every time for me I'm affraid.
 17 May 2013 11:06 PM

stateit

I'm sh****ng bricks at the thought of one contract I've just pitched for which will put a gang of us in a dusty place for up to three months.

I've tried balancing the equation of many smaller jobs in nice-and-varied places for just me against the waving flag of a nice continual wage for a few of us. In this case I've decided for the good of all and I know it's going to hurt. Hurt me at least.

I wish I'd never pressed the 'send' button at 4 pm this afternoon I'm telling you.

I know exactly how I'm going to feel at the end of each day working in this concrete cavern with 40 years of accumulated crud.

I've learnt to quantify and work around the physical side of it (tennis elbow alternating with golfer's elbow, white finger et al.) but the dust-and-debris side just brings out a different angle of sapping tiredness, torpor and malaise. And, yes, rashes and itchy bits.

The itchy bit is just one of the manifestations of the underlying b####x that's going on in the body. Which rubs off on (if not being a major part of) the general mental wellbeing as well.

I'll sign off now before I top myself...

I'm generally one of life's 'half-cup-full' people as well...

You never know - it may be one of those rare sunny days tomorrow

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.