Increase font size
Topic Title: A reminder Fatally Flawed
Topic Summary:
Created On: 29 May 2012 06:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 May 2012 06:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ToniSM

I know this has been mentioned before but we all need to keep banging the drum for the http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/ campaign.

The sooner we can rid these things the better.

-------------------------
Could there be a better way?

In theory yes, but in practice?
 29 May 2012 07:44 PM

gkenyon

Agreed.

Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 29 May 2012 10:27 PM

Martynduerden

Bump I'm doing my bit whenever I can.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 29 May 2012 10:27 PM

John Peckham

I am doing my bit but it is hard to get people to understand in the face of their embedded beliefs.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 30 May 2012 10:29 AM

mawry

I walked into my cousins house a few weeks back took one look then spent the next five minutes going round her house taking them all out and proceeded to bin them! Her face was a picture!! Even more so when I explained why!
 30 May 2012 07:22 PM

Grumpy

Well Toni, perhaps you could ride your hobby horse to a web designer. That link has to be one of the worst web pages I've viewed, joe publics eyes will glaze over in milli seconds. Just how many toddlers, exactly, have died in the last decade by poking things into a socket who's protection has been compromised by these abhorred socket protectors? I'll bet you're a first time dad.
 30 May 2012 07:47 PM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: Grumpy

Well Toni, perhaps you could ride your hobby horse to a web designer.
Rude, and who says it's Toni's web-site?

That link has to be one of the worst web pages I've viewed, joe publics eyes will glaze over in milli seconds.
Better than nothing, though!

Just how many toddlers, exactly, have died in the last decade by poking things into a socket who's protection has been compromised by these abhorred socket protectors?
Read this bit: http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/html/faq.html#Q7

I'll bet you're a first time dad.
I'm not, but then again I suppose you'd think me some form of idiot too!

30 May 2012 08:46 PM

Grumpy

My apologies if you felt that I was being rude, that certainly was not my intention and I have no idea who's website it is only that (I was going to say crap) it is so poorly presented that the message is lost. And, no, it is not better than nothing, it simply is not fit for purpose. But you haven't answered the question, how many have been killed? I sincerely hope it's none. Enlighten me, your website can't.
I would never call somebody waving a light sabre an idiot, what do you take me for? An idiot?
I'm sorry if I've become over excited but children are being slaughtered in Syria so if you've that much spare energy after a day at work direct it at something useful.
 31 May 2012 12:04 AM

gkenyon

My apologies if you felt that I was being rude, that certainly was not my intention and I have no idea who's website it is only that (I was going to say crap) it is so poorly presented that the message is lost. And, no, it is not better than nothing, it simply is not fit for purpose. But you haven't answered the question, how many have been killed? I sincerely hope it's none. Enlighten me, your website can't.
(a) it's not my web-site either.

(b) As the web-site says, there are NO STATISTICS, so no-one knows.

However, what is obvious at least to me, and it would appear those responsible for the site, is that, in the UK, these so-called safety-devices actually make the UK socket less safe, and therefore should be removed from sale before someone DOES get hurt !

I would never call somebody waving a light sabre an idiot, what do you take me for? An idiot?
Well, I'd have to start by saying . . . it's Liam Neeson in a costume, waving a stage prop, not me with an offensive weapon ! Too much hair for a start !

I'm sorry if I've become over excited but children are being slaughtered in Syria so if you've that much spare energy after a day at work direct it at something useful.
You assume it's the only thing I do? I'm afraid I lead a far more eventful (and one would hope, useful) life than that.

Yes, there are more important things, but no I don't agree it should simply be ignored!

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

Edited: 31 May 2012 at 12:42 AM by gkenyon
 01 June 2012 09:24 AM

Avatar for Deuchar                                           .
Deuchar

That link has to be one of the worst web pages I've viewed, joe publics eyes will glaze over in milli seconds.

Based on the majority of the feedback we get at FatallyFlawed I know that is not the case, but we always welcome constructive comments for improvement, so please get in touch via the email address on the site and let us have your suggestions.

You clearly indicate that you believe that it is not necessary to worry about such things as socket covers, whereas in fact what should not concern parents is the safety of UK sockets! It is the use of socket covers which renders sockets unsafe, and the blame for that rests with the scaremongers who introduced them to the UK, and the designers of them who, without exception, failed to follow the basic design rules for products intended to plug in to BS 1363 sockets.

You have also failed to comprehend that one of the worst features of socket covers is that, by being made to incorrect dimensions, they can permanently damage sockets and leave them unsafe after the covers are removed.
 20 June 2012 07:42 AM

Deuchar

Originally posted by: Deuchar

Based on the majority of the feedback we get at FatallyFlawed I know that is not the case, but we always welcome constructive comments for improvement, so please get in touch via the email address on the site and let us have your suggestions.

We are still waiting for Grumpy's suggestions!
 20 June 2012 04:15 PM

Phillron

I am sorry,but you wont be getting a rude reply off me
I think the full quota of rudenes has been well and truly reached

The campaign has been going on for a while,it is no doubt becoming more public as time goes by
Maybe other forms of action could be considered, in order to speed up the politicians interest in this worthy cause

We could mail to the minister responsible, the proceeds of the success as it develops
A couple of hundred socket covers landing on his doorstep each week may focus the mind on the issue
 20 June 2012 09:50 PM

Grandfortune

Noticed them in my daughters nursery NUNU, sent an e-mail to headoffice lastweek havent heard a thing back.
 20 June 2012 10:01 PM

hifly

they have them in my doctors, i e-mailed the practice manager but not had a reply yet, only e-mailed last week so we will see if they are still there in a few weeks.

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

Christmas Cards for trades people

http://www.tradegreetingcards.com
 25 October 2012 09:47 PM

AJJewsbury

I was pleased to see the IET seem to be backing this now: http://electrical.theiet.org/w...rotectors.cfm?type=pdf (from this Autumn's Wiring Matters).
- Andy.
 26 October 2012 08:25 AM

ebee

I signed the online petition.

Contacted my MP (gotta load waffle back - no surprise).

And have informed friends, family & customers to get rid of them and to read the website.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 28 October 2012 08:55 AM

Deuchar

I have been reading the installation instructions for the most popular brand of whole socket cover (The type that does not plug in but provides a cover over the entire socket).

The instructions start with the words:

ELECTRICAL SAFETY
This product is designed to be used with BSI approved UK style three pin electric wall mounted sockets, switched or unswitched.
There is no need to disconnect the mains supply, so long as the Socket Protector is used with a correctly maintained BSI approved double or single wall socket.

The reference to "BSI approved" shows that the manufacturer has no understanding of the issue as, although sockets must meet BS 1363-2, there is no requirement for specific approval (unlike plugs) and very few sockets will have a BSI Kitemark.

The instructions go on to say "Loosen the screws on the socket faceplate until a gap of 4mm, or as much as is needed to allow the Socket Protector frame to slide in between the faceplate and the wall."

What do forum members think of instructing non-electricians to undertake such work without turning off at the mains?
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.