Increase font size
Topic Title: Separation from other services
Topic Summary:
Created On: 27 May 2012 10:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 May 2012 10:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

Hi all, when we tick the box on an IEC to declare separation of electrical services from other services are we just meaning equipment, eg gas meter from c/unit or cut-out etc? I don't really think it applies to insulated cables does it?
I ask because I have a cooker circuit to install and the customer would like me to run the new cable whithin some existing boxwork that contains gas and water pipes, the cable would be between the gas pipe (installation pipe not incoming service pipe) and a cold water pipe,

Dave.
 27 May 2012 10:32 PM

jsa986

I dont think the cable being insulated is relevant is it? isnt it to with possible mechanical work being carried out on said gas piepework etc that could cause damage if in close proximity. Regulation 528.3.3

-------------------------
www.icertifi.co.uk
Electrical & Gas Certificates on iPhone & iPad
 27 May 2012 11:14 PM

Martynduerden

Hi Dave,

What distance can you achieve?

BS6891-2005

8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services

Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows: a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units; b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 27 May 2012 11:50 PM

daveparry1

Thanks Martyn, I understand that as far as switches, c/units, sockets etc are concerned but in the case of a t/e cable would that not count as the insulating material? (the cable insulation itself that is)

Dave.
 28 May 2012 10:54 AM

jsa986

8.16.2 " where Installation ***PIPES*** are not separated by electrical insulating material"

That infers the pipes, NOT the cable require the insulation... ie conduit etc; Not the cable counting as insulating material

www.icertifi.co.uk
Electrical & Gas Certificates on iPhone & iPad
 28 May 2012 11:27 AM

daveparry1

Yes I suppose in my own mind according to the regs.I shouldn't really put the t/e inside the same box as the gas pipe and I know we often can't see a reason for certain regs. but whilst I can see that having say a gas meter (which could possibly develop minor leakages internally and from joints etc) right next to a switch or consumer unit could be a risk from arcking from the contacts, I really cannot see that a length of sheathed t/e next to a solid copper pipe with no joints whithin the area could pose any risk? Thanks to all for replys so far and please don't think i'm arguing the point. Just trying to make some sence out of it,

Dave.
 28 May 2012 11:40 PM

Martynduerden

One other thing.

Will the cable be running at anything like full rating / 70 degrees? If so, keep it away from the cold water pipe, Water regs require cold potable water be 20 degrees or lower...

I don't suggest the regs make sense - some just plain don't regs for regs sake.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 29 May 2012 04:46 PM

daveparry1

All ok according to the niceic tech-line, it's distribution cables that are supposed to be kept >25mm away from gas equipment, which is actually the way I read it in the bgb! Thanks to all that replied,

Dave.
 20 June 2012 09:25 AM

andrew331

Dave

This has come from BS 6891 which I don't have access to, but I suspect it does not define 'distribution cables' and they do not mean distribution circuits as defined in BS 7671. I believe it applies to all the cables; supply, distribution circuits, final circuits, in an installation.

Is the NICEIC man saying it only applies to distribution circuits only and not final circuits?

Andrew
 20 June 2012 02:14 PM

daveparry1

That's the way I interpreted what he said Andrew, also it seemed to be aimed at equipment, eg c/units, switches etc. I assume that's due to possible arcking of switch contacts where there could be slight gas leakages (near gas meters) present,

Dave.
 20 June 2012 10:00 PM

MrOther

But how many cables are run in proximity services under floorboards?
 21 June 2012 07:57 PM

andrew331

Not very clear is it? Seems like the IET have just taken it from BS 6891 without much thought.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.