IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Electrical Installation Condition Reports, when will more electricians get them right.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 24 May 2012 01:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 May 2012 01:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Nimrod00

I have undertaken several Electrical Installation Condition Reports for customers recently, where the customer has already employed an electrician to conduct a visual report on the installation, the quality of which have not been up to scratch. In particular I found that the electrician had been employed to fit a cover over an existing cooker outlet, where a broken socket outlet was fitted no more than 200 mm from the cooker outlet, I have found two cases in the past week where BS 951 clamps have been fitted to the lead sheath of the incoming supply cable, polarity problems on circuits, undersized conductors etc....the list goes on.
I suggest that anyone who feels that they need to brush up on filling out an EICR takes a look at the NICEIC Electrical Installation Condition Reports and Testing DVD, and also to visit the ESC website where they have some great documentation on EICR's and the relevant codes for some of the more common problems seen in electrical installations.

Remember, the difference between a safe electrical installation and an unsafe one, could be the difference between life and death.
 24 May 2012 06:40 AM

MrP

Welcome to the forum Nimrod
I think you will find that Up to "Scratch" is not a term that can be easily defined, I think you will find satisfactory or unsatisfactory is more appropriate if you refer to your electrical web site.
Are you on a night shift

MrP
 24 May 2012 06:48 AM

normcall

Interesting.
Still wonder why a broken socket had been fitted rather than a new, working one or did it break between being fitted and an inspection?
BS951 clamps were/are common on supply cables; undersize conductors - incorrect overload protection or just not as expected?
What were the design requirements of these installations.

Don't forget that every installation should be designed with reference to BS7671. It is not prescriptive, just a set of aspirations. The prescriptive bit was left with the 14th edition.

Meanwhile, in your perfect world..................................................

-------------------------
Norman
 24 May 2012 09:08 AM

impvan

...brush up on filling out an EICR...

I'd rather see more effort going in to the actual eye-balling and testing bit of the EICR. The country's already full of expert form-fillers.
 24 May 2012 09:39 AM

potential

Originally posted by: impvan

...brush up on filling out an EICR...

I'd rather see more effort going in to the actual eye-balling and testing bit of the EICR. The country's already full of expert form-fillers.

Yes.
How true.
 24 May 2012 10:44 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: Nimrod00

Your title is far too presumptuous and patronising. "Electrical Installation Condition Reports, when will more electricians get them right"

Remember, the difference between a safe electrical installation and an unsafe one, could be the difference between life and death.

You're in the wrong place.

Regards
 24 May 2012 11:24 AM

OMS

Oh - Babylon

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 24 May 2012 11:45 AM

sparkiemike

Having looked at Nimrods very slick website, which must of taken ages to complete or cost a lot, I am guessing this is really about getting more links to it to increase the search engine rankings? Or am I being too cynical?
 24 May 2012 02:17 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

Nimrod - I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make - you say the customers previously had a Visual inspection only, but then list a number of defects that wouldn't be expected to be found during a visual. Altering a cooker outlet clearly isn't part of a visual inspection so I'm not sure how that fits with the broken socket comment - even if it was broken at the time, at best all the regs actually require is a comment about the condition of the existing installation on the certificate; the electrician has no right or duty to carry out repairs beyond what he's been asked (and paid) to do. The electrician can advise the customer, naturally, but ultimately it must be the customer's choice about what happens to their installation.

Some of what you list aren't defects under BS 7671. 'BS 951 clamps have been fitted to the lead sheath of the incoming supply cable' for instance - while the use of BS 951 clamps in such a manner is outside of their standard, the DNOs are free to use them in such a way if they choose - and frequently they did. If it was done by the DNO then it's legitimate and as it's part of the supplier's equipment, outside the scope of BS 7671 anyway. (Although I have to admit that the new EICR schedule is a little muddled on that point).

There's an error on your web site too - it says "highlight any safety shortcomings, defects or deviations from the current revision of the electrical regulations BS7671." - as I'm sure you're aware since the advent of AMD1 and the removal of the old 'code 4' that only departures from the regulations that give rise to danger need to be reported. Other deviations are not significant.

- Andy.
 01 October 2013 03:19 PM

JFK

Sorry for raising an older posting, but my two questions belong in here.

Section E of the Electrical Installation Condition Report.
If an installation is satisfactory then one would cross out unsatisfactory.
So what should be written above when describing the general condition of an installation (in terms of electrical safety)?
It is pointless to write satisfactory, as I do not believe that simply putting one word will suffice.

Above Section H.
Two areas of signature, left is the inspector/tester details (now worries here), but could someone please explain (or give a scenario) as to the information that would be inserted into the box on the right.

Many thanks for any responce.

Ignore this request, I have been trying to locate an answer, and I didn't look in the On-Site Guide.
I have been a fool, forgive me.

Edited: 01 October 2013 at 03:40 PM by JFK
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.