Increase font size
Topic Title: Microwave Linkage
Topic Summary: pat testing leakage
Created On: 06 May 2012 10:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 May 2012 10:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

theo1pat

I,m new to pat testing and certify . I have a pat tester seaward 100 and a microwave leakage detector, I know the seaward is 0.75mA on leakage, I have tested it and was a fail at 0.81mA leakage , I heard it can go up to 1 is that true? And when i tested it on my detector it was over 5.0mW/cm2 about 6 , is that low leakage ? Thanks
 06 May 2012 12:09 PM

alancapon

I suggest you need a proper training course on Portable Appliance Testing. There may well be something at your local college which your employer can send you on.

Regards,

Alan.
 06 May 2012 02:49 PM

Patnik

As Alan says you really need to get proper training so you can demonstrate you are competent to PAT test. The questions you ask suggest you don't really know what you're doing which is worrying. Are you familiar with the 'Code of Practice for in-Service Testing of Electrical Equipment' because you need to be?

In answer to your questions:

I would not regard a microwave oven as a hand held or portable class 1 appliance so wouldn't apply the 0.75mA earth leakage limit, up to 3.5mA is acceptable for movable and stationary class 1.

The limit for microwave leakage is indeed 5.0mW/cm2 so 6 is too high. Perhaps you are not performing the test correctly, it's easy to get a too high reading. Follow the instructions for your microwave detector carefully, in particular make sure you have a load (eg a mug of water) in the oven and hold tester the correct distance from the oven as it says in the instructions (5cm for the one I use ). If it still fails try cleaning all round the door seal .
 07 May 2012 10:28 PM

theo1pat

Hi
I Have been on proper training city and guilds approved, and have the code of practice in service of electrical equipment ,book thanks
 07 May 2012 10:34 PM

theo1pat

Hi thanks for your help, I have done that already anyway, and know everything code of pratice , Regards Theo
 07 May 2012 11:14 PM

Legh

Originally posted by: theo1pat

Hi thanks for your help, I have done that already anyway, and know everything code of pratice , Regards Theo

Do you know everything about the code of practice for in-service testing of portable appliances ?

For somebody just starting out, I would say that that is a curious stance.

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 08 May 2012 04:16 PM

B67BU

Hi

I Have been on proper training city and guilds approved, and have the code of practice in service of electrical equipment ,book thanks

Hi Theo
What was the length of your course?

-------------------------
Why don't you rock down to Electric Avenue (Birmingham B6 7BU) And then we'll take you higher.

B67BU@ElectricalTraining.co.uk

08 May 2012 04:37 PM

Jaymack

Oh No! D.C. rising again? Like the Phoenix from the ashes.

Whatever happened to what's his name?

Regards
 09 May 2012 09:10 AM

jcm256

There seems to be two qualifications from now on for PAT testing, not sure if you need both. (More money again, to training providers, more money for books, more plenty of work promises, more backbreaking work for a liveable wage).

The 2377 qualification will migrate to the QCF in October 2011. 2377-11 and 2377-12 close for registrations on 31 December 2011. The new programmes of study are:

2377-22 Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment

2377-32 Management of Electrical Equipment Maintenance.
 09 May 2012 10:23 AM

BigRed

Jcm, there has lways being two quals for testing, one management, one doing. one covered the old pink section, one the white. But yes, rename, books etc, it's all money making.
Theo, going to be harsh here. one course a competent person does not make, You can go on as any training courses and read as many books as you like, but if you don't understand the principles, you need to read the books again. Then go and work with someone who knows what they are doing and learn from them.
and Jaymack, phoenix? more like flippin' vulture....squark! wheres the 12 bore....:-)
 14 February 2013 10:13 AM

superdupasparks

can you tell me where the regulations/standards show that a microwave test has to be performed.

Thanks

PM
 14 February 2013 10:38 AM

Patnik

Originally posted by: superdupasparks

can you tell me where the regulations/standards show that a microwave test has to be performed.

Thanks

PM

The 3rd Edition CoP described microwave testing and implied it was a PAT requirement but the new 4th Edition has dropped all mention so no I don't think it has to be performed as part of electrical testing regime.
 14 February 2013 11:26 AM

rougediablo

From a recent email I received from Plugtest about changes to the IET Code if Prcatice:

"The microwave oven leakage testing section has been completely removed from the 4th edition of the COP. It was felt that microwave leakage testing was not a test of an appliances electrical safety but was a secondary test that should be separate from the standard PAT process. Microwave leakage testing is still valid & important but should be carried out after a separate risk assessnent."
 14 February 2013 12:05 PM

Jaymack

A functional test is required to check the door interlock, (that there is no grease around this preventing operation etc.) Heating some water briefly, would prove that the unit was working when you left the scene.

Personally, I don't see the need for microwave testing during PAT. If there is a need to do this, equipment and information is on the link.

If there is no obvious damage to the case, glass front or door seal, walk on.

http://martindale-electric.co....nuals/manMARTEK500.PDF
 14 February 2013 06:15 PM

jcm256

When microwave ovens first came into commercial use in a big way (1980 onwards) many scare stories circulated at that time. Employers were worried that microwave ovens may present a hazard to employees' health, and leave them liable to claims. So started a regime of testing microwaves, with a separate written certificate for each microwave, and special labels on each appliance stating microwave leakage (Usually zero or Nil or below 5mW/cm2) door interlock in order etc .Signed by the tester. At the start, Insurance Companies engineering departments carried out this inspection themselves, whereas later mostly superseded by Pat testing companies. The insurance tests all carried out with celebrated equipment, beaker, even background radiation from fluorescent lighting had to be zeroed out before testing. Was there any claims against employers by anyone or heart pacemaker stopping, do not know but the testing does continue to this day and if not it should be.
Jcm
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.