Increase font size
Topic Title: "Describe the process of wiring a star/delta starter"
Topic Summary: Help describing
Created On: 13 March 2012 01:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 March 2012 01:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

iainnorburn

I have been asked to "The process of wiring a star/delta starter." I know the theory and understand what is happening but don't understand how to explain the wiring of it.

Any help?
 13 March 2012 04:24 PM

davezawadi

Assuming the starter is already wired up, and just has 6 terminals available for the motor and three for the supply, or do you have to describe the wiring of the contactors and timer?

-------------------------
David
CEng etc, don't ask, its a result not a question!
 13 March 2012 09:26 PM

hertzal123

Something I learned recently,set the overload at 58% of flc,not 100%.
Regards hz
 14 March 2012 12:37 PM

zeeper

Something I learned recently,set the overload at 58% of flc,not 100%

I think you will find, that is the change over timer for the star to delta contactor. Not the overload
 14 March 2012 07:27 PM

Dave69

the overload should only be set at 58% motor FLC if it is wired in the delta loop, In some circuits the overload is wired so it still carries the motors FLC
 14 March 2012 08:13 PM

slittle

Originally posted by: Dave69

the overload should only be set at 58% motor FLC if it is wired in the delta loop, In some circuits the overload is wired so it still carries the motors FLC

But to work out which is which you need a proper understanding of a start delta starter

I tasked two of our younger electricians with drawing the diagram (without cheating) of the whole starter complete with the interlocks and timer wiring..... the results were to say the least "in need of a bit of correction"

Stu
 14 March 2012 09:51 PM

hertzal123

Originally posted by: Dave69

Dave,I ordered a sd starter from rs recently complete with derated overload which was correct,but it seems a pain that the starter could have been wired in a different way making the overload unsuitable.
Regards hz
 15 March 2012 12:56 AM

ToniSM

The problem with putting the overloads in the line rather than the delta feed is during starting the overload isn't providing adequate protection.

Could there be a better way?

In theory yes, but in practice?
 15 March 2012 08:04 AM

zeeper

But to work out which is which you need a proper understanding of a start delta starter

Or 5 mins on wiki. If the O/L is in the delta loop then the square root of 3 comes into play. And with the starters I've come accross this is its normal place.
So as pointed out by OP 58% correction of FLC is used.
I have noticed on larger motor starters the O/L is not in the star circuit and only comes into play in delta. Also information I have indicates the change over speed should be at 80% of full speed not the 58 I thought it was.

Just to be clear DOL starter over loads are rated at FLC of motor.
 15 March 2012 10:40 PM

davezawadi

But so are delta ones, the motor FLC is still important!I think you may haver missed a point here.

David
CEng etc, don't ask, its a result not a question!
 16 March 2012 04:45 PM

Dave69

a motor only runs in star for a couple of seconds so the overload is not important, the full load current is important as far as the fuses protecting it are concerned
 17 March 2012 10:27 AM

zeeper

But so are delta ones, the motor FLC is still important!I think you may haver missed a point here.

once you look at a standard diagram for star delta you can see the overload has phase current passing through it when in delta and not the full line current. Obviously the supply fuses would be selected in line with manufactures documentation.

a motor only runs in star for a couple of seconds

It depends on the mass being rotated, we have some that take several minutes before theuy gain enough speed before you can change into delta. If the change over happens to soon it blows the supply fuses normally very quickly. Thats from my experience
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.