Increase font size
Topic Title: Some More Questions
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 January 2012 09:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 January 2012 09:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MrOther

Hi all,

Looked at some Plinth and downlighter LEDs for my kitchen refit for my parents. Seems like for the Plinth lights gonna have to wire in a Junction Box/Transformer in-al-one thing - need some ideas for mounting for accessibility - standard practice kinda things.

For the downlighters looks like I'll have to wire to the top of the cabinets with a stub of T/E coming out the wall to the tranny, let the little bits of ELV cable from behind the cabinets - any ideas/standard practice for protecting these cables?

These lights - on the secondary side of the trannies - some with little white doubled up cable - like 1mm2s, anyone know the names of them as I may have to extend them. The fittings provide 5m or so but that's no good unless I sling the cables diagonally.

Sorry if these seem like daft questions but I've only done commercial so standard codes of practcises are lost on me and learning on the job. I'd rather do go OTT on protecting my cables - then not. Always seems hard to rip out those lovely new cabinets then to install them, don't you think? hahaha.

Cheers.

Mr Other.
 08 January 2012 12:54 AM

AJJewsbury

I've not done any LED downlighters for under kitchen cupboards, but the last fluorescent ones I did has a flex & connector system and pelmets too thin to hide a JB. What I did was bury a 20mm oval conduit vertically behind where the cupboards were to go at 1st fix measuring carefully were it was. Then at 2nd fix it was just a case of cutting into the conduit above & below the wall cupboard and drawing the flex up and making the connections out of sight above the cupboard. Maybe some kitchens have a service void behind wall cabinets, but this one only had space behind base units.

- Andy.
 09 January 2012 07:05 PM

MrOther

Thanks for that. B&Q have gave all measure 'cept for electrical - thanks designer.

Do you know what cable to use for extending the LEDs - want to use the same sort.
 11 December 2012 07:57 AM

dickllewellyn

Morning mr other. The great thing with led is that the current is low, so volt drop will be too! We always found the best way of extending is with 2 core flex, obviously going bigger for longer distances.

When it comes to kitchens we always try to have drivers at a few points around the kitchen if need be to avoid extending, and also to keep the drivers small if they don't need to run too many lights. I always like to fit the drivers in a cupboard if I can, rather than on top, just so it's obvious where it is, and easy to get at to work on. I always found a single pattress box and blank plate made a good joint enclosure, with the driver screw in next to it up in a top corner of a cupboard. Bear in mind some LEDs will need to be wired in series, others in parallel.

Under plinths, the world is your lobster. There's loads of room for adaptable boxes, junction boxes and such like, so you can pretty much make it up as you go as long as there is a supply there. I often take kitchen light supplies to the under plinth first, then to the units from there. First feed via a 3 core so there is an extra switch wire if things start getting complicated, then with a joint under the plinth you can adjust or adapt as required!

-------------------------
Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.