IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: B&Q's sink requires earthing....
Topic Summary: or does it?????
Created On: 07 October 2011 09:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 October 2011 08:28 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

From the David Icke link posted by RnR

"To effectively restore ground contact for an extended period, test subjects slept on dissipative carbon fiber mattress pads placed under their fitted sheets, connected via a ground wire [protected with an inline 1/100 amp fast blow fuse], to a ground rod driven into the earth near their bedroom window. The grounded mattress pads were designed to replicate the ground plane of the earth in the bed"

Why the fuse?

Andy
 08 October 2011 11:54 PM

impvan

To protect against Act of God?
 09 October 2011 06:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ebee

"If there is no provision on the sink for a termination (as Tom said) how can the manufacturers instruction stack up, they are effectively nonsense along the lines of "please earth this sink to avoid static, but we don't believe that's credible so we have shaved about 4p off the manufacturing cost by not providing a tag but couldn't be ***** to re write the leaflet - "

OMS.
You could of course use one of those earthing tags that are oft used on radiators they do fit nicely onto the edge of many (though not all) kitchen sinks in situ .

Few years ago I came across a kitchen sink in a pub that was, because of the plastic washers on the copper pipework, isolated from both hot & cold metal taps - very unusual and very difficult to achieve on purpose never mind by accident but that`s how it was.
As it was a large drainer & I new they had metal kettles , toasters, microwaves etc that they habitually sited on said drainer I decided linking hot, cold & body of sink via a bit of supplementary bonding to be most likely best probable case in this instance.

Rock,
that was interesting.
(Where in earth do you find such topics? - no pun intended there)
I am now contemplating earthing me bed via a rod.
(Did the earth move she asks - no but the earth rod became dislodged dear).
Only now lightning strikes would worry me and that there fuse mentioned might not help a bit in that case.

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 09 October 2011 08:08 PM

sparkingchip

I spent my teenage years and early twenties living and sleeping within the "influence" of the 400,000 volt grid transmission cables running into Feckenham and look at me I'm alrighttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Andy
 10 October 2011 08:31 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: OMS

The progress of this thread has led me to believe there is some evidence of a definite 'sinking feeling' in your post!! :

Very good Funkmeister - , like what you did there

Grumpy for sure - still at the desk, trying to unravel an impossible nat vent scenario (I wish someone would tell Architects that blue and red arrows on a drawing won't actually make the air go where they want it to) when I should be Looking for the Heart of Saturday Night -

Regards

OMS

Calm down.... calm down... its only an arrow or two!

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 10 October 2011 08:37 AM

tomgunn

Thanks for the replies... all good stuff.... so the conclusion is never earth a sink. I will be going to the job tomorrow and will dive into their dustbin and see if I can find the info from B&Q. BTW.... I know some are wondering what 'B&Q' stands for... and the answer is.... 'Black and Quale' they are two friends that thought up the super store... so now ya know!

Thanks!!

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

10 October 2011 06:00 PM

peteTLM

Yes they started in a small shop and somehow ended up where it is now. Next they will be advising earthing door handles. Im waiting for the day when they kill someone by selling consumer units and henley blocks to our diy friends.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 10 October 2011 06:00 PM

peteTLM

Yes they started in a small shop and somehow ended up where it is now. Next they will be advising earthing door handles. Im waiting for the day when they kill someone by selling consumer units and henley blocks to our diy friends.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 10 October 2011 07:13 PM

geoffsd

Yes, some henley blocks should not be earthed or bonded either.
 12 October 2011 09:13 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: geoffsd

Yes, some henley blocks should not be earthed or bonded either.

A couple of years ago a client that I had done d/glazing, new block drive and wall plus tons of other stuff too... got his DIY friend to alter some wiring but it went sort of wrong... so he phoned me up and he let me in and went off to work.... the CCU was in the cupboard beneath the stairs.... couldn't really open it properly.... and so I was fumbling around with my right arm trying to find out what was stopping it from opening... after a few minutes I successfully managed to get the door open.... and then beneath the CCU I noticed where I had been putting my hand to find what was stopping the door from opening that the Henley block didn't have the top on!!! Cudda killed me I suppose... mind you I have had worse shocks than that... but what a prick.... this 'DIY' fella had left the cover off.... headlines... 'electrician killed by a stupid mistake!'

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

12 October 2011 12:49 PM

rocknroll

The progress of this thread has led me to believe there is some evidence of a definite 'sinking feeling' in your post!! :

Grumpy for sure - still at the desk, trying to unravel an impossible nat vent scenario (I wish someone would tell Architects that blue and red arrows on a drawing won't actually make the air go where they want it to) when I should be Looking for the Heart of Saturday Night -

Regards

OMS

LOL Had you joined us when you had the chance you could be 'Barrelin' down the boulevard' too

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 12 October 2011 08:26 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: rocknroll

Regards

OMS

LOL Had you joined us when you had the chance you could be 'Barrelin' down the boulevard' too

regards

LoL - I'm not sure you're lot have the ackers mate - although a part time advisory job at about 40 hours a week would be OK I guess

As for Barellin' down the Boulevard - Well the M5 at least - and I've done enough of that in your fair county for sure over the last few years - can't you stop picking jobs in Plymouth - it's depressing

Great song though - someone very kindly sent me a cover version of it recently, totally different sound and style to Tom, but still brilliant

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 12 October 2011 08:30 PM

rocknroll

can't you stop picking jobs in Plymouth - it's depressing

LOL

Great song though - someone very kindly sent me a cover version of it recently, totally different sound and style to Tom, but still brilliant

Cool!

Have you checked out Bill Labounty

regards

"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 12 October 2011 08:37 PM

OMS

I have - well worth a listen.

And Plymouth is no laughing matter - I've lost count of the hours I've lost sitting on Mutley Plain in a mid summer traffic snarl up trying to get home (and you just know theres going to be a bloody caravan upside down at Buckfastleigh as well)

Regards

OMS

13 October 2011 12:20 AM

rocknroll

I have - well worth a listen.

And Plymouth is no laughing matter - I've lost count of the hours I've lost sitting on Mutley Plain in a mid summer traffic snarl up trying to get home (and you just know theres going to be a bloody caravan upside down at Buckfastleigh as well)

Regards

OMS

LOL The caravan trap will check the incident sheet tomorrow to see how many Devon have claimed this year.

regards

13 October 2011 08:23 AM

OMS

Whatever the number - it's not enough

Regards

OMS

13 October 2011 09:16 PM

sparkingchip

On the M5 coming south from the M42 junction 4A towards junction 5 Wychbold you come down a hill where the cross wind catches caravans and the like causing many accidents, as a warning a large blue motorway sign was erected with a upside down caravan on it. This was a good clear warning however it was removed on the grounds that it did not comply with any accepted standards for road signs to be replaced with chevrons on the road which aren't going to stop a caravan flipping over are they?

Andy
IET » Wiring and the regulations » B&Q's sink requires earthing....

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.