Topic Title: "Help My House Is Falling Down"
Topic Summary: Sarah Beeney
Created On: 31 July 2011 04:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 August 2011 10:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mawry

£1500 consultants fees? - working on the cheap are you OMS
 03 August 2011 10:33 AM

tomgunn

Now how did I miss that one? No wonder I'm just a poor sparky!

Tom

-------------------------
Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 03 August 2011 10:34 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: mawry

regards....

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

03 August 2011 10:47 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

OMS

That's for the first 4 hours - expenses extra over -

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 03 August 2011 10:55 AM

mawry

Originally posted by: OMS

That's for the first 4 hours - expenses extra over -

Regards

OMS

Expenses extra.

obviously! Somebody has to pay for the stay in a hotel and bacon butties/breakfast and a sneaky drink!
 03 August 2011 11:28 AM

perspicacious

The "newspaper" article:

Regards

BOD

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/t...3282901/#ixzz1SdU5Gcgq
 03 August 2011 02:16 PM

rocknroll

Originally posted by: Zoro

Originally posted by: rocknroll

There is immense political pressure from the Sheds to get changes in Part P MK2, to allow any Domestic Installer, registered with a Part P Registration scheme, to sign off DIY work in its entirety

They may have got wind of something and saying this but it is not quite the proposals that were put forward by various gov departments to ease the burden on the taxpayer during these troubled times.

regards

That is entirely possible RnR, those companies that want to get rid of Notifications for Kitchens will be connected to the sheds, the thought of signing off all that work meeting the Building Regulations, must trouble them.

Or those that want to get rid of defined scope and then have the electrical content of allied trades have their own Schemes define Electrical Competence. You can bet that the standard will be set to the lowest possible, to obtain the maximum membership numbers, the same as the present Part P Schemes, maybe 2 Day Wonders.

The biggest problem is the Schemes all tell DCLG that they are our Representatives, but after 5+ years of this, do we still believe that they do?

They all claim to be against 5DW and for Safety, but the majority of people on the EAS committee keep voting to keep them.

How does that work

Your not doing well!!

Over the last couple of years the people doing their own building work has exponentially increased and will further increase until we are out of the wood, (nothing new it happens), obviously people need to improve their properties and maintain them even in a recession when everyone is short of cash, we live in a world of self-regulation its a matter of how can we encourage them to do it properly and safely without too much of a financial burden, it could be drastically reduce the LA fees, give them access to an inspector at little or no cost or even a helpline and web-site (there is one in operation now), they could arrange for a building professional to assist at pre and post-plaster stages, there are many ways and in view of this DIY arena escalating quite rapidly this has to be addressed to maintain standards, there is no conspiracy or collusion with the sheds.

Forget the other things like;

Building Regulations stay,
Approved Guidance Documents stay.
Part P may be extended to include at risk locations where people work and come into contact with electricity like kitchens, rest rooms, shower rooms etc in both commercial and industrial environments.

Part P Electrical Safety is seen as a good benchmark for locations where workers and the public use and come into contact with electricity and the information contained within the document will satisfy most risk assessments for compliance with the various Acts, EAWR, HSAW etc;

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 03 August 2011 04:57 PM

whjohnson

To begin with, it's nice to see Beany without a bloody baby-bump for a change - I just hope she has finally found out what is causing it!

Forget the other things like; Part P Electrical Safety is seen as a good benchmark for locations where workers and the public use and come into contact with electricity and the information contained within the document will satisfy most risk assessments for compliance with the various Acts, EAWR, HSAW etc;

Too damned right R&R - the sooner the whole mess is wholly diluted to an even more ineffective damp squib the better.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 03 August 2011 07:37 PM

SAMJAKE

Originally posted by: whjohnson

To begin with, it's nice to see Beany without a bloody baby-bump for a change - I just hope she has finally found out what is causing it!

Forget the other things like; Part P Electrical Safety is seen as a good benchmark for locations where workers and the public use and come into contact with electricity and the information contained within the document will satisfy most risk assessments for compliance with the various Acts, EAWR, HSAW etc;

Too damned right R&R - the sooner the whole mess is wholly diluted to an even more ineffective damp squib the better.

Amen to that To get the ecomomy moving cut the red tape crap.
 03 August 2011 09:04 PM

GJH

These types of shows really annoy me, they give out constantly bad information regarding electrical work.

make it sound so easy and what they don't do is show how itrs done properly.
 04 August 2011 10:53 PM

AJJewsbury

You can do your own gas

Agreed - provided you're "competent" (as distinct from "qualified" or "approved").

but you have to have it connected, tested and certified by someone 'Gas-Safe'.

Why?

- Andy.
 05 August 2011 09:08 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: AJJewsbury

You can do your own gas

Agreed - provided you're "competent" (as distinct from "qualified" or "approved").

but you have to have it connected, tested and certified by someone 'Gas-Safe'.

Why?

- Andy.

I'd urge anyone who feels competent to install their own boilers and plumb it in... fix the boiler to the wall... connect all of the pipework, apart from the gas and flue, and get someone who's a gas safe peeps, ( I have recently seen several poor boiler installations fitted by a large company... whose name I will take to my grave.... under NO circumstance would I reveal who they are... or divulge any info relating to these installations... WHATSOEVER!!!!! Unless someone gives me a tenner!! !

Get the gas run into the boiler and the flue installed and checked as thats part of the system that has to be tested and completed by these wonderful / competent super hero's!

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

IET » Wiring and the regulations » "Help My House Is Falling Down"

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.