Topic Title: "Help My House Is Falling Down"
Topic Summary: Sarah Beeney
Created On: 31 July 2011 04:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 July 2011 04:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SKElectrical

I don't know if any of you guys have nothing better to do on a sunday than stay in watching telly, but clearly I don't...
I was just watching a house in total disrepair and up popped Beeney with two astounding remarks:
"a house rewire [standard 3 bed semi] will cost £5000"!!!
but the best one was:
"you can save money by wiring it yourself; then pay for an electrician to make final connections"!!

What?
Never again will I listen to her.
 31 July 2011 04:22 PM

chriso

I saw this episode the other night, it was all going so well: highlighting hazards and recommending you get your electrics checked and then she came out with that beauty!!

No reference to safe zones, circuit design or anything. Apparently we'd all be delighted to just turn up and connect a few sockets.

I like Sarah Beeny, but this was ridiculous; she wouldn't come out with this sort of nonsense regarding gas.
 31 July 2011 05:07 PM

colinhaggett

Sarah Beeny can help me pull my wires any day
 31 July 2011 05:40 PM

prtadko

i dont suppose you know what episode number that was so i can watch it on line do you?
 31 July 2011 05:55 PM

rocknroll

she wouldn't come out with this sort of nonsense regarding gas.

You can do your own gas but you have to have it connected, tested and certified by someone 'Gas-Safe'.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 31 July 2011 06:32 PM

gel

http://www.channel4.com/progra...lling-down/4od#3212954

Gel__Big Brother is here
 31 July 2011 06:43 PM

sparkingchip

I have added a comment http://www.channel4.com/4homes...-02-03/display/page/2

It will be reviewed before being published, lets see if it makes it!
 31 July 2011 07:04 PM

Zoro

There is immense political pressure from the Sheds to get changes in Part P MK2, to allow any Part P Electrician to sign off DIY work in its entirety.

It is like the previous Beeney Channel 4 program, with the Hairdresser who did his own first fix, describing it as "A risk worth taking".
 31 July 2011 07:49 PM

slittle

Originally posted by: Zoro

There is immense political pressure from the Sheds to get changes in Part P MK2, to allow any Part P Electrician to sign off DIY work in its entirety.

It is like the previous Beeney Channel 4 program, with the Hairdresser who did his own first fix, describing it as "A risk worth taking".

Well here's one that WON'T be doing that. I'm real glad we don't do a lot of domestic work

Stu
 01 August 2011 09:56 AM

BigRed

Sorry, whats one of those then????
 01 August 2011 10:25 AM

perspicacious

Would this be the same presenter who has alledgedly fallen foul of planning permission close to home?

Regards

BOD
 01 August 2011 10:52 AM

Zoro

Originally posted by: BigRed

Maybe I should rephrase that BigRed,

There is immense political pressure from the Sheds to get changes in Part P MK2, to allow any Domestic Installer, registered with a Part P Registration scheme, to sign off DIY work in its entirety.

Sorry for the misuse of the word Electrician.
 02 August 2011 12:32 AM

sparkingchip

OK, let me have it and take me to task then

http://www.channel4.com/4homes...0-02-03/display/page/2
 02 August 2011 07:59 AM

rocknroll

to sign off DIY work in its entirety.

There is no law to stop you from doing that if you want to.

beyond the abilities of the average DIY'er rather than just trying to protect my own interests as a electrician.

I dont think so, and of course it has absolutely nothing to do with your own interests.

regards

"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 02 August 2011 11:13 AM

spinlondon

From the little I saw of the program, it appears that no making good to any of the chases was done before the electrician made the final connections.
Also it didn't appear that the floor boards were fixed, and there were no floor coverings laid.
As such it would not have been particuarly difficult for the electrician to confirm cable routing.
No different really to having a labourer or apprentice do the work.
 02 August 2011 04:34 PM

BigRed

Originally posted by: BigRed

Maybe I should rephrase that BigRed,

There is immense political pressure from the Sheds to get changes in Part P MK2, to allow any Domestic Installer, registered with a Part P Registration scheme, to sign off DIY work in its entirety.

Bit like walking into electrifix in a hurry having set up an account and asking for the discount, only to be told i'm not registered part p therefore not eligible. Neweys couldn't have given a damn...
 02 August 2011 06:05 PM

rocknroll

There is immense political pressure from the Sheds to get changes in Part P MK2, to allow any Domestic Installer, registered with a Part P Registration scheme, to sign off DIY work in its entirety

They may have got wind of something and saying this but it is not quite the proposals that were put forward by various gov departments to ease the burden on the taxpayer during these troubled times.

regards

02 August 2011 07:23 PM

Zoro

Originally posted by: rocknroll

There is immense political pressure from the Sheds to get changes in Part P MK2, to allow any Domestic Installer, registered with a Part P Registration scheme, to sign off DIY work in its entirety

They may have got wind of something and saying this but it is not quite the proposals that were put forward by various gov departments to ease the burden on the taxpayer during these troubled times.
regards

That is entirely possible RnR, those companies that want to get rid of Notifications for Kitchens will be connected to the sheds, the thought of signing off all that work meeting the Building Regulations, must trouble them.

Or those that want to get rid of defined scope and then have the electrical content of allied trades have their own Schemes define Electrical Competence. You can bet that the standard will be set to the lowest possible, to obtain the maximum membership numbers, the same as the present Part P Schemes, maybe 2 Day Wonders.

The biggest problem is the Schemes all tell DCLG that they are our Representatives, but after 5+ years of this, do we still believe that they do?

They all claim to be against 5DW and for Safety, but the majority of people on the EAS committee keep voting to keep them.

How does that work
 03 August 2011 08:55 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: SKElectrical

I don't know if any of you guys have nothing better to do on a sunday than stay in watching telly, but clearly I don't...

I was just watching a house in total disrepair and up popped Beeney with two astounding remarks:

"a house rewire [standard 3 bed semi] will cost £5000"!!!

but the best one was:

"you can save money by wiring it yourself; then pay for an electrician to make final connections"!!

What?

Never again will I listen to her.

I thought that she had said it was £6000? Anyways.... how can it be that high? I have had heated chats on this forum before of how long does it take to wire a 3 bed house... ok... it was a double level flat... lets say that the sparks doing was slow... give them two weeks for one 'sparks' to wire it.... £1000 per week... not a bad earner a? Bag of sand for the materials? Plenty of mark up there! Bit of profit on top.... £500? So wheres the other £1500 gone? OR.... maybe I am missing summit?

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 03 August 2011 08:59 AM

OMS

So wheres the other £1500 gone?

Consultants fee Tom - gotta have someone to "manage your project" - you can't discuss it at dinner parties if you don't have one -

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
IET » Wiring and the regulations » "Help My House Is Falling Down"

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.