Topic Title: Zs testing
Topic Summary: accuracy or non-trip loop testers
Created On: 23 July 2011 10:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 July 2011 09:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

deleted_2_tony30

And keith is teaching 2391 when he isnt employed by hydro contracting doing testing for a living.
 25 July 2011 10:42 AM

Legh

Originally posted by: kj scott

Its a matter of propotion, the lower the test current, the lower the accuracy, that said; the high current ranges are not tha accurate either.

Field tolerance +/- 30%; if you want an accurate value you must calculate it.

I'm so glad we are now in agreement

Keith,
I can't see a problem with using a P-N loop particularly for a PME system where the final circuits are loaded with RCBOs/ RCDs and then either making adjustments through calculation or continuity measuring the R2 with parallel paths.

However, the most reliable, albeit, rather dangerous test would be to lob a spanner in the works - advanced subscribers only

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 25 July 2011 11:14 AM

OMS

However, the most reliable, albeit, rather dangerous test would be to lob a spanner in the works - advanced subscribers only

It would be a tad safer with "injection testing" though ?

I've regularly put several thousand amps through a transformer at 12 volts with a bolted short circuit at the terminal box for example and it's fairly easy to test say 4000A circuit breakers for performance - that should be enough for most domestics

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 25 July 2011 02:35 PM

AJJewsbury

I can't see a problem with using a P-N loop particularly for a PME system where the final circuits are loaded with RCBOs/ RCDs and then either making adjustments through calculation or continuity measuring the R2 with parallel paths.

I'd be in favour of L-N loop testing - just because we don't really test N for loose connections and we keep getting reports asking "why is it always the N terminal that overheats?" - but it would have to be in addition to L-PE, not instead of it.

The problem with L-N loop testing alone instead of L-PE is that you're not testing for bad connections in the c.p.c.. If you want to rely on R1 or R1+R2 (and there is a school of thought that that should be sufficient) then that's one thing, but to do a L-N test and claim it's the equivalent of L-PE is missing the point I fear.

- Andy.
 25 July 2011 05:42 PM

Legh

The problem with L-N loop testing alone instead of L-PE is that you're not testing for bad connections in the c.p.c.. If you want to rely on R1 or R1+R2 (and there is a school of thought that that should be sufficient) then that's one thing, but to do a L-N test and claim it's the equivalent of L-PE is missing the point I fear.

Probably, but it does take the 'full' loop test to the end of the line as far as R1 is concerned.
I suppose you could do a Ze and then continuity test R1+R2 or you could do the naughty test (without any RCDs in the circuit) but then that could be bridge too far

Legh

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 25 July 2011 05:51 PM

Legh

Originally posted by: OMS

It would be a tad safer with "injection testing" though ?

of course it would - but then is current being injected by the instrument or does the instrument allow a window of current to flow from the installation circuit?

I've regularly put several thousand amps through a transformer at 12 volts with a bolted short circuit at the terminal box for example and it's fairly easy to test say 4000A circuit breakers for performance - that should be enough for most domestics

Yes, well that is ok for the breaking capacity but I was under the impression that MCBs also needed a certain voltage to trigger the instantaneous tripping effect?.

Legh

Regards

OMS

25 July 2011 06:09 PM

kj scott

Originally posted by: GeoffBlackwell

This is what you need to get an accurate test of the strength and capability of the earth-fault-loop-path under fault conditions.

True Zs Tester

Just place it across the line and earth.

Regards

Geoff Blackwell

Looks more like the Mk1a RCD tester to me Geoff, are you sure that was the loop one, you haven't mixed them up in the test box have you?

http://www.niceic.biz
 25 July 2011 06:11 PM

kj scott

Originally posted by: Legh

Originally posted by: kj scott

Its a matter of propotion, the lower the test current, the lower the accuracy, that said; the high current ranges are not tha accurate either.

Field tolerance +/- 30%; if you want an accurate value you must calculate it.

I'm so glad we are now in agreement

Legh

Calculation for accurate loop values, but not for ring continuity.

25 July 2011 06:18 PM

kj scott

Originally posted by: slittle

As to Keith's calculations, well I might as well ask my 5 year old for a number between 1 and 10, then divide it by 3 and multiply it by the number of times I've fed the cat today

Stu

To be fair Stu, if it were most circuits, you should start with a number between 0.1 and 0.9, then using your formula; you would probably be close to anything a loop test instrument could come up with.

25 July 2011 06:20 PM

kj scott

Originally posted by: tony30

And keith is teaching 2391 when he isnt employed by hydro contracting doing testing for a living.

First part correct, but who are hydro contracting?

25 July 2011 06:39 PM

JonSteward

KJ go back and read keithrepath's post
 25 July 2011 06:58 PM

kj scott

Also forgot, I'm Kevin.

IET » Wiring and the regulations » Zs testing

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.