Increase font size
Topic Title: Standards in Cyprus
Topic Summary: Do they follow BS7671
Created On: 23 June 2011 05:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 June 2011 05:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

slittle

Having just been lucky enough to spend a week away before Harvest starts, I had the chance to look at some of the installation work in and around Paphos on both sides of the meter (so to speak)

The overhead distribution looks much like our own network, although I did spot an interesting builders supply (couldn't get a picture). The service cable (3 phase) was hung off the scaffold with a strop and then drooped across the vertical re-bar rods coming up from the foundations before disappearing across the site.

Choc block and tape seems the way to go on outside lighting, several tree mounted floodlights along the beach/walkway carefully wired in SWA down the tree and then choc/taped to twin and earth in conduit at ground level

The best one I think although safe was in my hotel where some bright spark (pun intended) had fitted a single socket (MK) 90 degrees out of upright, I can only think one of the box lugs on the single flush box was damaged.

Stu
 23 June 2011 10:17 PM

peteTLM

As far as i can tell from observation, yes. Their traffic lights, road signs, crash barriers, road markings, telecomms infrastructure is all UK made. Been a long time (10 years) but from what i can remember after 2 hours sleep a night and copious servings of vodka!.
Pascha and jamaica bar brings back memories.

P

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 23 June 2011 11:17 PM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: slittle
The best one I think although safe was in my hotel where some bright spark (pun intended) had fitted a single socket (MK) 90 degrees out of upright, I can only think one of the box lugs on the single flush box was damaged.
Stu,

Is there really a problem with BS1363 sockets that aren't aligned "properly" (i.e. earth pin directly up)?

As an example, I'd cite the many examples of IT equipment enclosure outlet strips that are set or installed at 45 or 90 degrees, or the Elektrak Rotosok (for example, not intended as a recommendation) where the outlets can be set at any angle?

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET
 24 June 2011 06:26 PM

slittle

Graham,

Not at all from the electrical point of view, it was more the "don't worry about it " attitude that seems to exist out there.

Lovely place to spend a week though.

Stu
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.