Increase font size
Topic Title: Wylex recall update
Topic Summary:
Created On: 22 June 2011 05:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 June 2011 05:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

Hi,

One of the properties on my list of wylex (electrium) recall checks was my own. I did it a while ago and sent all the details off, with my invoice.

This morning I, in this case just the householder of the checked property and not the electrician, have received a card from Electrium asking me if the check has been carried out and if my DB has a sticker on it. Tick the box for yes or no and send it back.

Easy. Just thought I'd let youknow they are confirming at last.

I am still confused about all the lack of publicity and concerned about all the DIY installations where the installer doesn't know about this. Particulalry in the light of the screwfix/volex/DIY photon. I think if you put those three together you will find quite a few old Dad's who have done their own and still don't know about this. Hey ho.

Zs
 22 June 2011 06:12 PM

stateit

screwfix/volex/DIY photon

^^ Begging your pardon?

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 22 June 2011 07:01 PM

ant1uk

It would be interesting to know exactly what is supposed to be wrong with these MCB's and why they are been recalled? The manufacturers seem to have a relaxed view on this as Zs is correct there is no advertising at all about it. I wonder if anyone has came accross a faulty one. there will be plenty still in circulation that is for sure.
 22 June 2011 07:27 PM

Zs

Originally posted by: stateit

screwfix/volex/DIY photon

^^ Begging your pardon?

Screwfix....popular with DIYers for purchasing supplies
Volex.....availble through Screwfix, cheap, and popular with DIYers
DIYers...People who don't get you or I in to do work for them but do it themselves because they know enough about it and don't know about the recall.
Photon...massless particle . elementary unit of light. Faraday/Einstein/Maxwell etc.

Why?

Zs
 22 June 2011 07:31 PM

John Peckham

Zs

"Photon...massless particle . elementary unit of light"

I don't think you right there. I think it is a wooden bed type thing you can get from Ikea!

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 22 June 2011 07:52 PM

sparkingchip

I went into Edmundsons this afternoon and had a selection of double sockets out on the counter, Volex are quoted twelve pence cheaper than Crabtree, however turn them over and they are now identical fittings with different fronts on them. So the twelve pence is for rounded corners and a off white colour to the face plate plus the name. So this job is getting Volex as the customer wants every price trimmed and there is nothing to justify the extra twelve pence. The MCB recall proves the internals of Crabtree, Wylex and Volex are identical.

Regards the MCB recall I only had one to do, after I completed it I sent all the paperwork instead of payment I received a email and letter saying they had changed their paperwork system and I had to resubmit exactly the same information again to get paid. I did so and payment appear in my account a few weeks later, it did have the feeling of a delaying tactic regards payment.

Andy

Edited: 22 June 2011 at 08:42 PM by sparkingchip
 22 June 2011 08:37 PM

dickllewellyn

I decided we didn't have the time to run round all the effected jobs, I decided the £75 wasn't enough to cover the admin, fuel costs, and time traveling between all the jobs, and let Electrium take it off my hands and carry out the changeover themselves.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 23 June 2011 07:34 PM

stateit

Originally posted by: dickllewellyn

I decided we didn't have the time to run round all the effected jobs, I decided the £75 wasn't enough to cover .... time traveling between all the jobs ...

Have to say I can't afford time-travel myself. Sounds useful though. Can I get it on HP ?

On another note... Pulled 2 Wylex 20A MCBs from a box in my shed to protect a circuit I'd just put in my shed. One failed to latch, the other had a 'spinning' thread on the cable clamp.

I should have binned them about 18 months ago. I'd been taking more than a few defective MCBs back to my wholesaler that year, but these two slipped the hook. I hope they'd be passing that info back to the manufacturer.

S George
 23 June 2011 07:54 PM

sparkingchip

I stopped using Crabtree a few years ago partly because the boards are not a flexible design, also because you are at the mercy of Electrium if they suddenly change the design and stop spare parts, but mainly because I had to travel to Birmingham a round trip of about fifty miles to change two MCB's, the customer turned them off to redecorate as they wanted to let the accessories off the wall to tuck the paper behind them and the MCB's would not reset.

I have also been and replaced Wylex and Volex MCB's that would not reset installed by other people, also I have binned a few Wylex MCB's due to faulty terminal screws and not resetting problems as well as taking some back to merchants.

I started using the Controlgear units and kit, I had one problem with a CU case having the moulded part that should retain the cover fastening screw, I phoned them up and told them and they sent me a complete consumer unit to break for spares! No problems at all with MCB's etc.

Andy
 23 June 2011 07:56 PM

stateit

Have to say ControlGear looks remarkable value.

S George
 23 June 2011 08:04 PM

ant1uk

I have to say MK are the best in terms of been reliable. They cost a few quid more but in the long run it saves you money not having to go back. Plus they are made in the uk
 23 June 2011 08:07 PM

sparkingchip

They have been taken over by Lewden and some of the kit is now marked with both the Controlgear and Lewden's logo's, the design has changed a few times it is now generally available with three busbars allowing two non-rcd ways or all rcd protected with two rcd's to suit the job in hand, the colour has changed as well to off white, the old colour, magnolia didn't show any marks so much and i actually preferred it however customers have not commented anyway, so no point worrying about the colour.

Andy

Edited: 23 June 2011 at 08:37 PM by sparkingchip
 23 June 2011 08:27 PM

ant1uk

Agreed the design is not the best but you hardly hear of any been faulty. BG are getting quite good lately in their design and for the price you can pick one for a bargain.
 23 June 2011 08:38 PM

dickllewellyn

Wilts wholesalers have a catalogue of offers at the moment under the name "Wilts Spotlight". Many of the prices are around about or slightly more than we get with our monthly spend anyway, but I did notice fully loaded MK CUs in there for £45 which I considered to be a superb bargain!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 23 June 2011 08:42 PM

daveparry1

I used lots of Control Gear Direct c/units up until a couple of years ago, never had any problems at all, only stopped using them because the supplier i was using went out of business. I've been using the Pro-Elec ones from CPC ever since and have had no problems with those either,

Dave.
 23 June 2011 08:44 PM

sparkingchip

I have had a account at Edmundsons for about seven years, but never really used it, however the manager of another wholesaler moved there in a general role having got brassed of with the other firm after twenty odd years with them, so I tagged along. Anyway they are having to set terms for me as and when I buy specific items, a Wylex consumer unit came up as £236.53 plus VAT without any MCB's, I really don't think I could actually get away with charging materials out at "list price" it all seems a bit of a farce really.

Andy
 24 June 2011 12:34 AM

baldelectrician

Originally posted by: ant1uk

I have to say MK are the best in terms of been reliable. They cost a few quid more but in the long run it saves you money not having to go back. Plus they are made in the uk

I've had lots of quality issues with MK

Had a RCBO fail last week (new RCBO for a unit I installed in 2008).
After a 5I test it wouldn't latch back on (with power off- no current)

MK are made in the far east now-I stopped using them 2 years ago, poor build issues

baldelectrician.com
 24 June 2011 05:03 AM

ebee

A few years back (OK I'll admit it then! 1970s).
The perception amongst the trade around here was that MK and Crabtree were the leaders for sockets and switches etc. MK being a bit more expensive.

I particularly favoured the Crabtrees 'cos of the rounded edges as opposed to MKs square corners and the MK logic switched sockets were only single pole switching.

I was introduced to Contactum because they were cheaper and looked a bit similar in that respect and again DP switching.
I never looked back, always found them reliable.

During the 80s & 90s and after, I know of two local wholesalers who both sold both to trade & DIY approx 10% MK & 90% Contactum - guess which they got most number of returns on? = MK.

MK became know as EC (Expensive Carp) in the trade.

OK , one very good thing is the safety shutter mechanism on the sockets, hats off to MK on that score at least.

After the demise and subsequent rebirth of Contactum I can't say if their quality has changed yet. I haven`t noticed anything. One thing they did do I didn't like was a very silly cord grip restraint though and that was a few years ago, I do wish they'd change back to a proper `un.

Bog standard pendants I don't like Contsctum and favour BG or Polar.

Pull switches - Click are OK if you like the positive click action but I always give each one 20 pulls before installing because I find about 1 in 20 fail on the mechanism in the first few pulls (anyone else found that?)

Consumer units - for years it was wylex - from the rewireables thru to MCBS for a good few years but they became expensive.
Now they are in the same stable as Volex which I've always looked down on and with the subsequent Electrium recall, I do not have much confidence with any Electrium brand.

We all have our little quirks and foibles and others might disagree with what I`ve just said,

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 24 June 2011 01:28 PM

BillI

About a week ago I had to change a Volex VB16 code WTRWRC as a terminal screw lost it's thread. The thread plate was undamaged. I don't think I was being unduly heavy handed with my little screwdriver but that did seem the most likely reason. Now I wonder if the screw was faulty.

Bill
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.