Increase font size
Topic Title: zone controls for underfloor heating
Topic Summary: anyone got any advise?
Created On: 26 May 2011 01:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 May 2011 01:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

I'm looking for a control system for wet underfloor heating (something along the lines of a programmable thermostat in each zone (room) controlling a valve on the manifold and sending a call for heat to the main heating system (probably a thermal store in this case).

Has anyone had any experience of such systems? good or bad?

I've been looking at the HeatMiser (a.k.a. speedfit) systems with programmable stats - both 230V and "networked" and at multi-channel clocks and setback themostats.

"The client" has opinions about the aesthetics of room stats too, so the more discrete the better.

I suppose, deep down, I'd like a system that was software driven as far as possible, so I could play around with logging performance and optimising the entire system (e.g. adjusting UFH flow temperature depending on outside temp, room temp and availability of different heat sources), but I've seen the prices of KNX style systems and I have to be practical!

Can anybody recommend anything?

many thanks
- Andy.
 26 May 2011 03:12 PM

femspark

From past experience keep it as simple as possible. Follow the principles of a s-plan heating system to each zone.
 26 May 2011 04:37 PM

kirchoffs

Andy,
Have you looked at the Honeywell HCE80, It might do the trick.
www.honeywelluk.com

Regards Dominic
 26 May 2011 05:22 PM

neiljohnson52

Nu-heat manufacture wet UFH equipment, they may have something suitable for your application.
Regards
Neil
 26 May 2011 09:15 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

slittle

Andy,

We've used the heatmiser quite a lot, cracking bit of kit and if you're careful you can use a spare zone to control any rads that might exist (so the stats are the same)

There is also a central control module (can't remember the correct name) if you use the low voltage kit and network cabling which allows you to control all of the rooms from one location. I've never done it but I believe a GSM/smart phone interface is also an option.

Failing that, find some "nice" 240v stats and 240v actuators and the rest is easy, doing the software controls would be tricky though.

Stu
 26 May 2011 09:31 PM

bajb

Netmonitor is the device that allows you to control the 12V network versions of Heatmiser over the internet/gsm. Works OK - I have one. They have just brought out an improved central control panel - small colour touchscreen on the wall..
Regards
Bruce
 31 May 2011 12:05 PM

AJJewsbury

Thanks for the replies - all useful!

The HeatMiser control - were they the programmable stats? if so, is the display backlit blue all the time, or just when the buttons are pressed? ('the client' (a.k.a. 'er indoors) as concerns about the controls being too obvious!)

cheers
- Andy.
 31 May 2011 08:12 PM

davidwalker2

The system I have is by Jupiter Systems, installed three years ago and so far proved to be excellent. The hard-wired stats are descrete and use pulse width modulation to bring the system up quickly when cold and reduce the rate as temperature is approached to avoid overshoot, so you don't need a large heat storage capacity in the floor. The zone stats drive a manifold with motorised valves and a pump logic system to demand heat from the boiler when required.

David W
 31 May 2011 09:00 PM

bajb

Originally posted by: AJJewsbury

The HeatMiser control - were they the programmable stats? if so, is the display backlit blue all the time, or just when the buttons are pressed? ('the client' (a.k.a. 'er indoors) as concerns about the controls being too obvious!)

Programmable and non-programable thermostats available in network 12V versions. Have a look at their website.

The blue light only comes on when you touch them and then has a programmable (iirc) delay off.

Regards
Bruce
 01 June 2011 01:35 PM

AJJewsbury

Thanks all - much appreciated!
- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.