Increase font size
Topic Title: Switched spurs for hand dryer
Topic Summary:
Created On: 31 January 2011 06:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 January 2011 06:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Alexg

Guys,

Is there any reason why, in a commercial building such as a venue hall, in the toilets, the switched spur for the hand drier cannot go adjacent to the dryer?

The idiot, know it all lampie there keeps saying you can't put sockets or switches in bathrooms, It seems to go in one ear and out the other when I tell him it is not a bathroom!

-Alex.
 31 January 2011 07:03 PM

OMS

You can - although common practice tends to have them at about 1.8m above FFL and so away from fiddling fingers.

A washroom isn't usually a bathroom so no restriction there. Design choice as to whether you want them on an RCD or not.

If you have them in groups wiring them on a ring isn't a bad idea with switched fused spurs at high level and individual drops down to the heaters (flush usually). Depends on how far you want to push the diversity as to how many you connect on a ring - I've seen at least 6 of the New World 3kW units connected with no reported problems at a theatre venue

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 31 January 2011 07:56 PM

jcm256

PIR testing public toilets under Council contract, have come across flexible cables burnt between the wall mounted switched spur-unit and the hand- drier 4off in one toilet, it was obvious that this was caused by vandals holding a lighter under the cable.
Finding a reference for damaged flexible cable in BS7671 took more time than the actual inspection as the hand written reports had to be sent to get typed up and the typist (think was a slip of a girl) everything had to be coded or she sent it back. Wonderful idea the tick box system all cave man stuff. Yes I would agree install switch out of vandals reach if it's a fused spur they will crack the fuse exposing live terminals. On the other hand some people like to switch the drier off at the spur-unit before it times out, (including me as hate to see power wasted). On the other hand aren't these old fashion hand-driers now being replaced by a ring blower thing you put your hand in, or recessed hand driers or web-site below?

http://www.handy-dryers.co.uk/...CFYEOfAodeTjW7A

See this website below put the wind up you about hand-dryers.

http://www.thepowerservice-new...k/prosecutions/

Regards
jcm

Note: English Drier, American Dryer.
 31 January 2011 08:58 PM

Jobbo

Out of reach is normally prefered in such premises, as some people nick just about everything these days!

Completed a Job in Chatham last year, shopping centre toilets, with nice brushed steel wandsworth switches, fused spurs and sockets. They didn't even last a week. Haha

Jobbo
 31 January 2011 10:04 PM

Alexg

Thanks for the response guys,

Yes if it was new I probably would put them up a bit higher to stop people playing with them. However these are already in situ and I am doing a PIR on the building.

31 January 2011 10:14 PM

Jobbo

No problem then!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.