Increase font size
Topic Title: EAL Part P Exam
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 December 2010 10:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 December 2010 10:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

topgunmatt

Hi Everyone

I am about to sit my EAL building regs exam next week, i have looked through the book but was wondering if anyone has any sample papers or tips for me regarding the exam. Has anyone completed the exam recently?
I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Matt
 09 December 2010 01:52 PM

TJWatts

No papers, sorry.

I did mine 2 years ago. The only thing with the BR exam is it is (was) closed book (which seemed odd) so you do actually have to remember stuff.

Wasn't that hard - all multi-guess.

I would read the book several times and write down key facts like joist drilling spacings and that sort of thing.

IIRC the exam did ask some fairly odd questions too (eg about some obscure regulatory wotnot that noone is likely to care about except in one particular odd instance) - but all straight from the book - no "catch you out" ones. So it's best IMO to really know the numbers aka joists and stuff, but don't mentally disregard bits that you think are totally irrelevant as there might (probably will) be a point to be gained in it.

Have you done the IEE regs exam (the open book bit) yet?

Good luck!

Tim
 09 December 2010 02:01 PM

TJWatts

Oh - and don't be afraid to sit there like a lemon and recheck stuff - use your time! I put a little mark next to the questions that I think are worthy of a recheck - you know when you are totally sure and you know when you're not...

On mine (and I'm a DIYer - most others were converting trades or industrial sparks going domestic) everyone else buggered off 1/2-2/3 way through having completed.

I was the last out but I went through it again twice - made a correction here and there.

Paid off - first one with that training org to get 100% so the bloke said...

*toot* - well, I don't really mean to toot the trumpet

hell yes I do - I worked for it

- but just trying to say, use your time, get the marks, ignore everyone else until the actual end. Then you get your coffee and decant to the pub.

And read the questions! It is massively patronising to say that, so sorry, but it is always so easy to think you've read it and to get the wrong sense.

Cheers

Tim
 09 December 2010 03:46 PM

topgunmatt

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply, i have passed my prcatical assesments but im a bit nervous about the exam. A few people have told me to concentrate on the different regs ie part A, B an what they mean. I was wondering if you know the pass/ fail score, i think someone mentioned it could be 14/20 for a pass.
Can you remember any specific questions from your exam?

Thanks

Matt
 09 December 2010 09:41 PM

TJWatts

Hi Matt,

I think you must be referring to these:

Approved Documents

Unlike the IEE Regs, Building Regs Approved Documents are freely available (as PDFs) - they are extremely readable - I've referred to many of them for my house fixing project.

But you don't need to know them for the exam - just the little green book is enough - assuming this *is* the same exam I did, which was an EAL Level 2 Domestic Installer. Best check that with your instructor - they do have a vested interested in you passing

However, it's worth having a quick shufty at the Approved Docs later because there will be crossover with electrical work - eg customer wants a fan for an enclosed bathroom and you want some guidance on ventilation requirements, Part L energy saving lighting an so on.

Legally, the Approved Docs have a similar standing to the IEE Regs - you are not obliged to follow them and you can design an alternative solution that achieves the required result - but if you do what they say, no one will complain or argue about it and you will have been deemed to have met the requirements.

The only stuff in Part P is about what is and isn't notifiable work - the rest is basically "meet the regs" and BS7671 is *one* method of demonstrating compliance. Sure someone here once said they did a job under Part P to the German VDE100 regs and got it passed?...

Sorry - I can't remember specific questions - 'twas a long time ago. Your instructor should be able to confirm the pass mark - 14/20 sounds vaguely familiar.

HTH

Tim
 09 December 2010 09:49 PM

ant1uk

Part P exam? is this for real? never heard of it............
 09 December 2010 10:00 PM

rocknroll

Part P exam? is this for real? never heard of it............

Well its been around for a while now , its a domestic installer qualificattion, the recommended book for this is the IEE electricians guide to the building regulations.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 09 December 2010 10:33 PM

TJWatts

We were told this was sufficient for basic entry to the NICEIC DI scheme with the provision that you did the 2382 "real soon" (months or a year - can't remember).

BTW the cert looks really impressive - like you're qualified to rewire CERN!
 10 December 2010 09:02 AM

kj scott

The Part P courses are an alternative qualification to the C&G 2382 for registration as a domestic installer. So two questions;
Why are you required to complete the 2382 afterwards?
Why bother with the expense of the part P qualification, just do the 2382?

http://www.niceic.biz
 10 December 2010 01:56 PM

ant1uk

Thats true scott although the 2382 concentrates on regs and the part p probably includes some basic electrical theory
 10 December 2010 02:08 PM

TJWatts

Theory? Barely IMHO.

What the EAL does is include a large[1] assessed practical element.

[1] Large for a 4-5 day course - about half in fact. Covers most things you can do with T+E and not a lot else but does include a serious element on testing which is well worth it.

2382 is all regs from what I remember? (I did some past papers out of interest with a view to maybe just signing up to sit the exam for 70-mumble quid with the IET one day...)

Cheers

Tim
 10 December 2010 10:45 PM

cliffy11998

Hi All

The exams is 20 questions with a minimum of 14 to achieve a pass mark, The question pool includes questions from all 14 approved documents. you need a broad understanding of the building regulations and a working knowledge of the approved documents.
The EAL qualification is completely separate from the 17th edition wiring regulations qualification. It also has 8 practical units that require assessing these range from Safe isolation procedures, Clipping, Component identification all the way through to Initial verification and minor works certification.
 11 December 2010 12:32 PM

topgunmatt

Thanks.

Cliffy 11998 have you sat the exam recently can you remember any sample questions.
Thanks

Matt
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.