Topic Title: any CEF users?
Topic Summary: I paid this for cable
Created On: 07 November 2010 07:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 November 2010 07:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

hello,

Are any of you CEF users and have you bought 2.5mm and 1.5mm twin and earth recently?

I'm at my desk doing sums and note that I have recently been charged the following:

22/10/10 2.5mm grey T&E 100m £51.89 + VAT
06/10/10 2.5mm as above £49.66 + VAT
06/10/10 1.5mm grey T&E £33.79 + VAT

£60.97 inc vat for a roll of 2.5mm......... Is this what you are paying?
I'd want chalk in it like it used to be it for that! This is Doncaster. I like Doncaster cable and am loyal to CEF for cable when I can be.

I paid £47.00 inc vat at WF in Wycombe on 14th October, And they don't know me and thought I was shopping for my electrician or something, so that won't be a special price. This was Prysmian (or whatever it's called, you know the one).

I'm mad as hell about that CEF price but just to lighten things a bit cos it's sunday..I also bought a roll of green and yellow sleeving at WF on that day. The guy said, 'oh, you won't want to buy that here, we only sell it in rolls of 100 meters'. I told him that would be fine and he asked me what I was going to do with it.

If you have any CEF receipts in front of you for that period of time I'd be grateful to know. thank you.

Zs
 07 November 2010 07:58 PM

hifly

21/10/10 2.5mm t&e 100m £42.00 + vat

edit to say it was from wilts electrical

-------------------------
Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

Christmas Cards for trades people

http://www.tradegreetingcards.com
 07 November 2010 08:00 PM

GJH

Get it while you can, chatting to a mate who knows a metal importer.

He says that copper is £5k per ton at the moment but in the new year its forecast to go as high as £11k per ton!

Good for tat, crap for buying cable.
 07 November 2010 08:04 PM

foxxxx

For any one near the potters bar area a new wholesaler has opened there. Very competitive on prices , especially cable.

Alpha Business Park, Travellers Close, Welham Green, Herts - 01707 265 442
 07 November 2010 08:05 PM

slittle

Zs,

It's the same everywhere. We have a running battle with Edmundsons on pricing, you buy something one week at x, the next week it's y and when you query it, the price magically goes back to x.

GJH,
I've got a mate who's in the scrap business. He told me Friday night that prices are going up and up, so we should expect an increase on cable prices soon

Stu
 07 November 2010 08:13 PM

breaker

I don't buy cable from CEF for this very reason.

Currently £42.95 for 100m 2.5 mm 6242Y at local independent wholesaler.
 07 November 2010 08:14 PM

stateit

Yikes.

No CEF receipts about 'cos I swore never to use them again a couple of years ago (while travelling up to do a job in the City, as it happened, and using their City branch. £8.00 for MCBs they wanted from me. Cheeky feckers.)

I'm just finishing off my last job lot of 2.5mm T&E and that was £39.25+vat, but from of month or so ago.

Tell CEF that TLC currently do it for £43.00 +vat. They know TLC prices are geared upwards for Jo Public use.

TLC are the prices I'll tell customers to reference if they get narky about costs because I know my wholesaler generally undercuts their price by a significant amount..

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 07 November 2010 08:19 PM

michaelbrett

Originally posted by: slittle

Zs,

It's the same everywhere. We have a running battle with Edmundsons on pricing, you buy something one week at x, the next week it's y and when you query it, the price magically goes back to x.

GJH,

I've got a mate who's in the scrap business. He told me Friday night that prices are going up and up, so we should expect an increase on cable prices soon

Stu

I'm 'glad' to see that I'm not the only one who has pricing issues with Edmundsons. Last time (just over a month ago) I bought some 2.5mm² T&E, they tried to charge £48 per 100m. After discussions, a credit note was issued!

Regards

Mike
 07 November 2010 08:33 PM

antric2

Evening all,
Well,Zs,you have hit on one of mine and my collegues favourite guessing hobbies of the moment.........whats CEF going to charge us this week.
Great set of lads at my branch and would not hear a bad personnal word against them but you can buy same products week after week and get different prices each time....very poor for a big player!!
Its a standing joke that I am a price' moaner' but if I ask for a quote then they ask what I pay now , which in it self tells a story.
Since they email my account invoices to me a few days after my purchase, then problems can be corrected but it is the time spent on the phone correcting as if we have nowt else better to do.

We have both switched to Electric Centre in last 12months and find pricing is quite stable and more than competitve if bought on account.....but you still get some issues.

2.5mm is £38 + vat but that was 3 months ago.
I would recommend my branch of EC as any 1st supplier and CEF but CEF have lost the bulk of my business due to their poor price admin.

If you buy anywhere on account, get them to print the price there and then on the advice sheet and price can be sorted there and then. If there system cannot be set up for you that way then move wholesaler.
regards
antric
 07 November 2010 08:34 PM

Paradigm

Hi Zs

Have you an account with them and if so, why don't you query the invoices, I do this all the time with my suppliers if they try and pull a fast one ( and believe me, most of them do). The invoice is held and left unpaid until they sort the query out with a credit note.

It works every time and in the end they stop messing you about.

BTW I just paid £39.99 ex vat for 2.5, so you are getting ripped.

Nick

"be careful of what you write"
 07 November 2010 08:37 PM

antric2

and, to add something to my previous post,
a price war trick I use successfully.
Go to a different wholesaler and set up an account,give your main wholesaler or two as credit refs and within a few days your phone will be ringing and you will be negotiating new prices with your existing wholesalers without effort.You dont need to use the new account but it keeps you present wholesalers on their toes.
Try it and let us know how you go on!
 07 November 2010 08:45 PM

Paradigm

Antric,

I always have two main wholesalers that I use and they are fully aware that I get prices from them both, I don't do the dutch auction thing as I think its unfair and they also know that their first price has to be keen as I won't try & negotiate. I am fair and sometimes will buy a slightly more expensive product as both of them give good service but it generally keeps my buying prices down and increases my bottom line.

Going on from the other thread, this is one of major problems that I see with most trades, and that is they have no best practice in regards to buying and the wholesalers know that, they will rip anyone of if they know they can get away with it and its down to you to negotiate your own prices.

Nick

07 November 2010 08:56 PM

Zs

Time to start keeping the scrap then? I've never done it because it's too much hassle but..

So, we not only have to do our designated jobs on the tools but now we have to keep an eye on our wholesalers every single time we go in to them. This makes me want to do my business on line and not in person. Yes, I use TLC but haven't used them for cable.

Well, hopefully a CEF customer is out there but there is a school of thought that tells me my loyalty is clearly worth diddly squat. Jane 271 out there? Your company buys from CEF don't you? If you don't mind the plain speaking, this really P's me off. I always buy my 2,5 and 1,5 from CEF. That's why WF don't know me from Adam but I'd sooner drive to wycombe about half an hour away, and enjoy being anonymous, for it.

Hiffly, those trade greetings cards are fantastic. I love the mouse one. If you haven't looked at Hifly's link then I say it's worth a look.

Alan once sent me a calendar from his DNO part of the world which I still have hanging here, very funny, ' Dial before you dig', and BOD has an old Electrician Christmas card featuring him which made me fall about laughing. But the funniest one was from TerryB1 which was not trade specific but simply a picture of a very tired and frazzled looking monk at his desk, pre midnight on Christams eve with a pile of papers, expectant chior boys etc. and it just says 'nobody said anything about deadlines' .

Let's see what replies come in about the prices. I can't be doing with having to barter every time so if on line is the answer ( I was cloned recently so am aware of the risks), well I'll get a different computer and a different payment card and use it exclusively for purchasing.

Thanks so far.
Zs

Edited: 07 November 2010 at 09:44 PM by Zs
 07 November 2010 09:04 PM

Paradigm

Originally posted by: Zs

So, we not only have to do our designated jobs on the tools but now we have to keep an eye on our wholesalers every single time we go in to them.

Well, hopefully a CEF customer is out there but there is a school of thought that tells me my loyalty is clearly worth diddly squat. Jane 271 out there? Your company buys from CEF don't you? If you don't mind the plain speaking, this really ***** me off. I always buy my 2,5 and 1,5 from CEF. That's why WF don't know me from Adam but I'd sooner drive to wycombe about half an hour away, and enjoy being anonymous, for it.

Zs

Unfortunately Zs, you have to make them aware that you are on the ball, so you do have to keep your eye on everything.

I spent a couple of years running a toolshop, so have been on the other side of the counter so to speak and its dog eat dog, they want to maximise profits, therefore will try it on now and again, if its not picked up, it will continue, they know who they can get away with it with and will do so, don't kid yourself.

I don't get much grief anymore and my wholesaler has shown me the margins he makes out of me, but I know for a fact he's getting back on some other person who's not on the ball.

Loyalty, doesn't count for much I'm afraid.

Nick

07 November 2010 09:13 PM

savcab

I just priced this recently with 3 wholesalers. Cef was the cheapest. Under £39 for 2.5 this week. The next was 42 and one was 46. It pays to shop around. The going rate is generally around £43 a drum of 2.5. Zs always check and double check lines from cef and edmunsons they are the worlds worst at invoices I always ask for a quote to be emailed and I always haggle. There is always a few percent they can take odd. Even 10p a time, it all mounts up. Cable fluctuates so much.hold on to the cuttings till next year.
 07 November 2010 09:17 PM

Zs

antric....yours arrived while I was posting. Thank you so much for that. I'm steaming, but really pleased to see that number. I'll make this rant worth a few pounds if you don't mind? Stand back eh? I just hope my keyboard can stand this beating.

I'm on cash accounts everywhere which means I pay as I go but get trade prices. Been knocking around this block for over 8 years and very, very busy so that's alot of miles of twin and earth from CEF. At the moment I am 7 days a week and installing.

I didn't notice these ones because there was other stuff on the payment and I was in a hurry. I was served by the young lad not the manager but that should not have a bearing.

Me and CEF = done and dusted. No second chances. End.

CEF, you blew out big time by doing that to me. Not just because of my business with you but because I tell it like it is to everyone so look out for the bad PR. The way I see it you owe me some money. If you would like to contact me in order to explain why you see it reasonable to rip me off then please do so through this forum, in public, so that my peers may also see your reply.

We look forward to it, and how dare you rip off your customers.You don't do business without us. 8 years of CEF cable in my installations and you think I won't notice?

Zs

Edited out that litle outburst.

Edited: 08 November 2010 at 04:06 AM by Zs
 07 November 2010 09:20 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: Paradigm

Antric,

I always have two main wholesalers that I use and they are fully aware that I get prices from them both, I don't do the dutch auction thing as I think its unfair and they also know that their first price has to be keen as I won't try & negotiate. I am fair and sometimes will buy a slightly more expensive product as both of them give good service but it generally keeps my buying prices down and increases my bottom line.

Please dont get me wrong here Nick.
I agree entirely with what you say.
I dont use the cheapest price giver just because on price but on the common products that are available.
I have one wholesaler who is a small shop and not the cheapest by far but the service is spot on and his electrical knowledge is formidable, and he grafts for his customers.
I want my wholesalers to make a profit and stay in business so i only get new credit ref checks to just remind them I spend about 12k a year with each of them.I dont want something all for me....keeping all happy is the plan
Dutch auctions are for the others!!
Regards
antric
 07 November 2010 09:32 PM

antric2

Zs,
You sound like some one who keeps on track of things by paying cash on counter.
A thing I used to do. I now get my stuff through the week, keep all my invoices with the costs on as this keeps costs stable but call the main head office of Electric Centre in Scotland and pay over the phone with a pre pay card at end of the week...this keeps track of it all.
I use a pre pay as all my cash jobs go on to it,you can only pay what you have on the card (not a credit card) and you can run off the statement from the t'internet.This means I am uptodate with most payments and dont need to visit the wholesaler when working 7 days.

Also, with cable,I agree a price based on an assumed amount I would buy a year.Find out how much it would be if you bought 20 or 40 rolls of 2.5 in one go and you would get a discount. So, suggest to your wholesaler if I buy that amount over next 6 or 12 months then give me discount price.If you dont make the agreed quota at end of year you will still get a decent discount.
Regards
antric
 07 November 2010 09:52 PM

topmark

have a word with stuart at chesham zs ,hes a decent bloke.thats assuming hes still the manager!
 07 November 2010 10:04 PM

Zs

Will do and I know he is. But this is too much of a mark up. enough said?
IET » Wiring and the regulations » any CEF users?

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.