Topic Title: Mineral Insulated incomer
Topic Summary: earthing arrangement?
Created On: 26 October 2010 10:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 November 2010 03:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

normcall

You can't blame me.
I was just an apprentice and did odd days when we couldn't get into the adhesives factory.
Also this was the time when the electricity boards did everything and got away with an awful lot as it never crossed their minds that anything they did would be questioned in the future. (I still have that attitude!!)

-------------------------
Norman
 03 November 2010 03:29 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Jaymack

Originally posted by: normcall
Another was a demolished building at the foot of a hill not a million miles from Zs. Apparently (I'll talk to anyone), a lorry came down the hill about 15 years before I got involved, the brakes failed and it swerved into the building. The building was a write off and demolished. Under the rubble was found the live cutout and meter when investigated. Again, money would have been needed to sort it and it just got 'forgot'!

This is from 2001, same one? or it seems to be a common problem down that way, they don't call it High Wycombe for no reason, Amersham Hill is one of the many steep hills in the area, vehicle owners must have one of the highest, average fuel consumptions in the UK. I had to move away, to be able to take my hands out of my pockets walking on the pavements. Nice shopping centre though! Not!

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.u...ham_hill_horror_smash/
 03 November 2010 07:57 PM

normcall

It must have dated from about 1970 in Chesham as it was 1985 when I did my year of punishment by having to get a 'proper job'. It was the time when the jobsworths got involved and they suddenly discovered I'd been part of the shift emergency team in the 60's when you were on your own, whatever the problem and we called out whoever we felt was appropriate if we couldn't fix it. Apparently you have to go on a course to be able to do that sort of work now.
I don't know have we managed!

Norman
 04 November 2010 03:50 PM

DNOworker

Don't bother contacting the DNO or supplier as this is not classed as part of the DNO network. Therefore the DNO does not own it or maintain it and it reverts to the landlord or home owner. You can complain as much as you like to OFGEM but they will have no sympathy as its all downstream of the cutout and DNO cable that enter the property. - There have been plenty of court cases on these (mostly post fires and the DNO normally wins)

The fun really begins when you try and replace them as often they are un-metered and although they belong to the landlord or homeowner, the submain fuse has to be removed and the meter resealed and this is where the games begin.

DNO worker
 04 November 2010 04:57 PM

stateit

It's not just DNOs and electricity - the row of houses mine is part of is supplied with from an 'unadopted' water mains.

Just try to work out who's paying for any repairs...

Certainly not the party with the big legal department. That's for sure.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Mineral Insulated incomer

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.