Increase font size
Topic Title: supply to outside container
Topic Summary: any ideas on type of cable at point of connection
Created On: 25 October 2010 08:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 October 2010 08:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

good evening all
I have been asked to install a circuit to a container that is outside in a yard. the container will be removed from its position on a weekly basis.
the wiring installation will be fixed upto to approx 2 metres from the point where the connection is to be made to an existing 400v commando male socket fixed to the container to enable the pluging in of a female flying plug which will be connected by a flex cable connected to a fixed weatherproof enclosure.

has anyone got an opinion on what type of cablle should be used for the approx 2 mtr flex lead, i have on many occasion seen SY cable used in a similar installations and do not want to use SWA cable as the this would be clumsy and awkward to keep disconnecting and reconnecting.

to sum up need to connect a flexible cable approx 2 mtrs long fixed at 1 end in enclosure with female socket at other end outside in a transport yard what cable would you use.

(P.S fixed installation all covered, SWA, RCD, enviromental influences etc)

Many thanks in antisipation

Martin
 25 October 2010 09:00 PM

ianmcv

SY armour is ideal for these situations. We use it regularly in the shipyard for this kind of thing plus using it for extension cables for welding power supplies.

Regards

Ian
 25 October 2010 09:05 PM

many thanks Ian for your prompt reply

Regards

Martin
 25 October 2010 10:36 PM

John Peckham

I think you should verify with the manufacturer that the SY cable is suitable for external use as most SY is for internal use only. I understand from one manufactuere that the clear sheath is not UV stabilised and the brown colouring you see in the SY cables used outside is rusting of the steel wires. It is however in common use outside.

If it is RCD protected and you don't need armouring then something like HO7RN-F might fit the bill.

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 25 October 2010 10:44 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

spinlondon

Just use a waterproof flex.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.