Increase font size
Topic Title: KMP4120DL Tester Use
Topic Summary: PEFC Test
Created On: 26 September 2010 08:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 September 2010 08:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Hi
Can any one confrim the following querie i have regarding the Use of a Robin KMP4120 DL Loop Tester

I am considering the purchase of the KMP4120DL loop tester.

With regards to carrying out a fault current test at the origin of the installation.

I have looked at the operating manual for this unit and i am clear on how to carry out the PSSC (Prospective Short Circuit Current) Test by connecting the red lead to the phase and connecting the black & green lead to the neutral of the supply.

What is not clear in the manual is how to carry out the PEFC (Prospective Earth Fault Current Test),

Please could anyone confirm how the test leads should be connected for this test (PEFC0 when using the KMP4120DL loop tester.

Kind Regards

Martin Carlaw
 26 September 2010 09:37 AM

ant1uk

I understand this is a Robin, Bare in mind this tester will trip RCD circuits when doing earth loop impedance tests as it has not got a 'no trip' setting.

The PEFC is done Between Earth and Live.

With some newer testers now it does this test at the same time when testing the Ze which uses this calculation PEFC=V/Ze

Plus on the newer testers you can connect to Live, Neutral and Earth. then just press the button to change between PEFC and PSCC.

Have you done any testing or done a course as your not sure? It's fine to ask as I understand we all have to start somewhere.

Regards

Anthony
 26 September 2010 10:20 AM

John Peckham

Martin

I have a couple of these loop testers. For PSCC you connect the red to the line conductor, black and green to neutral . For PEFC red to line, black to neutral and green to earth.

Be careful as these instruments are not rated for 400V so if you connect them across 2 lines you will get a loud bang and the meter will be useless.

The DL version of the meter has Dlok for RCD testing. The meter does a full current test but injects DC in to the circuit to lock(lok) the RCD. However this feature does not work on all RCBOs and some RCDs.

If this is your first purchase I would advise against it as more modern meters are easier and more reliable on RCD testing. Go for a Megger
LTW as it 2 lead tests on both high and low current.

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 26 September 2010 10:44 AM

ant1uk

Plus on a multi function meter you only have one calibration fee to pay for. I used to have seperate meters but found it takes more room to store them and takes longer to set them up and in the end I got rid of them and then got a robin multi 1620. I had this one which served fine until there was more demand for RCD's so then I brought a megger and now I have the latest fluke 1653B which is excellent
 26 September 2010 05:28 PM

Hi Anthony
Many thanks for quick response, ref coarses i have recently completed CG2330 L1 & L2, CG2391, CG2377,& CG238 BS7671-2008. I needed to ask the question to confirm what i was doing was correct (which john has kindly now confirmed for me) regarding the PEFC test method on this unit as the manual does not actually explain how this is done and i needed to have this confirmed for peace of mind.

I have recently purchased the 1653B but at the moment not using it on site as i wanted to get used to using the individual meters although i have played around with it on my own house and agree with you it does save alot of time when testing

Many thanks again for your help which is greatly appreciated

regards
Martin
 26 September 2010 05:32 PM

Hi John
Many thanks for your help on this one.

regards Martin
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.