IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: (OT) Avatars....
Topic Summary: Go on then you clever clogs...
Created On: 03 September 2010 09:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 September 2010 02:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

slittle

Need to see if it works. Obviously my better side (and in my younger days)

Stu
 06 September 2010 11:28 PM

Zs

Aahh, that's dead cute Stu.

Not playing.

...Yet.

Zs
 07 September 2010 01:08 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: Zs

Not playing.

...Yet.

Zs

Still airbrushing then Zs ?

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 07 September 2010 09:06 PM

slittle

Not playing.

...Yet.

Zs

You would not believe the amount of grief I took (and still do) when the movie came out. Not helped by the fact the wife brought me a "Stuart Little" lunch box. Couldn't resist using it as my avatar as it sort of seemed appropriate.

Stu
 09 September 2010 12:46 PM

dbacon

I've made this thread sticky to help anyone looking for the instructions RnR posted.

David Bacon
Internet Services Group
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 09 September 2010 01:25 PM

OMS

LoL - makes a change from you deleting some of his more "controversial" posts anyway David

OMS

09 September 2010 02:32 PM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: dbacon
I've made this thread sticky to help anyone looking for the instructions RnR posted.

Now all we need, is to improve the reliability of access to the forum, it's slow or is unable to launch.

IT person needed - apply within, Avatars need not apply.

Regards
 09 September 2010 04:53 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

Originally posted by: OMS

LoL - makes a change from you deleting some of his more "controversial" posts anyway David

OMS

LOL who me, its those big boys from the grammar school up the road.

Just bringing it forward to save searching, keep the avatars coming guys.! Its only a rumour that your avatar reflects your personality, dont be shy!

This is in response to a couple of messages about how to add an avatar to your profile, you can add a humorous picture or even your own photo if you so wish, it seems like the format we are permitted at the moment is .jpg so make sure it is in this format.

You can add avatars directly from the internet but probably the best method is create a folder on your desktop called 'avatars' then you can have a few within easy reach to change now and again, to save an avatar off the internet right click on the avatar of your choice and select 'Save Picture As...' into your 'avatars' folder.

Sign into the IET as you normally do and you will see an orange panel next to your name that says 'MyIET' click on this and another page will appear where you can do all sorts of things but for the purpose of this exercise we are only concerned about adding an avatar/picture, look for the tab that says Public profile' and click on this, you may be required to verify your user name and password again, when this page is displayed look for the tab that says 'Edit profile' and a number of panes will appear, on the left hand side is a pane called 'Photo' click on the 'Browse' button and select the folder you created on your desktop called 'avatars', select the avatar/photo you want to display and then click on the button 'Upload' and the picture should appear in that pane, if it does not check that the avatar/picture is not in a file format not supported, it needs to be a .jpg, once the picture has appeared and you are happy with it, if you are not just select 'Browse' select another picture and 'Upload' that will replace the picture each time then click on the button 'Update' under the 'Upload' button.

Go to the right hand side of the same page and you will see a panel called 'Photo', you need to check the box that says 'Display my picture on other parts of the site', then at the bottom of the same panel click on 'Update', close page and go back to the forum (update using F5) and your avatar/picture is there for all the world to see.

Hope this helps.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 09 September 2010 08:02 PM

Zs

No OMS, not still airbrushing, cheek. .Just being mysterious.

But I know what it will be.
 10 September 2010 07:36 AM

perspicacious

"Just being mysterious.
But I know what it will be."

Best to make sure DreamWorks Animation don't mind you using a picture of their character who guards the derelict castle Princess Fiona is located in

Regards

BAD
 10 September 2010 12:47 PM

OMS

Leaning against an open door there BOD, I suspect

Regards

OMS

10 September 2010 12:52 PM

OMS

No OMS, not still airbrushing, cheek. .Just being mysterious.

But I know what it will be.

I see - I'll take that as code for "I can't decide which is my best side" then

Regards

OMS

10 September 2010 04:31 PM

jcm256

Avatars have slowed down the whole forum, can't open the page, or timed out error. Is now common.
Sorry you always get one spoilsport.
jcm
 10 September 2010 07:26 PM

rossall

I am sorry for the performance issues experienced today. They are not specifically a result of avatars, which are only a small part of the overall new public profile and networking features; these can be accessed via My IET, or via links on usernames next to messages.

Today we have had a farm of badly-configured indexing robots hitting the site, and problems with one Web server which are currently being investigated by our hosting suppliers.

We do take performance seriously and will continue to monitor it.

Regards

David Rossall
 11 September 2010 09:46 AM

potential

Hit and miss today too.
 11 September 2010 03:54 PM

rossall

Yes, we recognise that it was not fully resolved yesterday. I am sorry for the problems. Thanks for your patience.

David Rossall
 14 September 2010 12:56 PM

Testit

Was just thinking of real world scenarios
Edit.. mmm that didnt work..

Online Services - http://propertydevelopment.org.uk

Experience can sometimes show that cost prevails over quality and safety, such little self-value that people hold.
 15 September 2010 11:17 AM

fmuyambo

I am trying to replace my profile pic, but it is not updating, I am stuck with the one I've got. What's up?
 15 September 2010 11:27 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

Originally posted by: fmuyambo

I am trying to replace my profile pic, but it is not updating, I am stuck with the one I've got. What's up?

Follow these instructions;
This is in response to a couple of messages about how to add an avatar to your profile, you can add a humorous picture or even your own photo if you so wish, it seems like the format we are permitted at the moment is .jpg so make sure it is in this format.

You can add avatars directly from the internet but probably the best method is create a folder on your desktop called 'avatars' then you can have a few within easy reach to change now and again, to save an avatar off the internet right click on the avatar of your choice and select 'Save Picture As...' into your 'avatars' folder.

Sign into the IET as you normally do and you will see an orange panel next to your name that says 'MyIET' click on this and another page will appear where you can do all sorts of things but for the purpose of this exercise we are only concerned about adding an avatar/picture, look for the tab that says Public profile' and click on this, you may be required to verify your user name and password again, when this page is displayed look for the tab that says 'Edit profile' and a number of panes will appear, on the left hand side is a pane called 'Photo' click on the 'Browse' button and select the folder you created on your desktop called 'avatars', select the avatar/photo you want to display and then click on the button 'Upload' and the picture should appear in that pane, if it does not check that the avatar/picture is not in a file format not supported, it needs to be a .jpg, once the picture has appeared and you are happy with it, if you are not just select 'Browse' select another picture and 'Upload' that will replace the picture each time then click on the button 'Update' under the 'Upload' button.

Go to the right hand side of the same page and you will see a panel called 'Photo', you need to check the box that says 'Display my picture on other parts of the site', then at the bottom of the same panel click on 'Update', close page and go back to the forum (update using F5) and your avatar/picture is there for all the world to see.

Hope this helps.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 15 September 2010 06:50 PM

rossall

fmuyambo - could you send details to Webmaster and we'll look into it? It would help to know the time at which you tried this, whether you tried again later, and so on. Also the size of the new image would be helpful.

Regards

David Rossall
IET » Wiring and the regulations » (OT) Avatars....

<< 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.