Increase font size
Topic Title: Hamilton grit it touch dimmers
Topic Summary: wiring?
Created On: 29 August 2010 05:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 August 2010 05:15 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

http://www.hamilton-litestat.com/news/24/

hello, Have any of you wired these dimmers? They are called multi way touch on the packets. Before I start blowing up the modules....I have masters and slaves. A few of these will be on intermediate switching, and a few on two way. I am reliably informed by the wholesaler that the slave does the intermediate work throughout, and that no specific intermediate is required.

Big box of modules and plates have arrived, to the tune of >£1k. No wiring diagrams, so could I check if my common sense is common enough with you please?

You have L, L1, and S terminals on the Master switch and likewise on the slave.

So, only three terminals even for the intermediate part.

Would I be right in using L as the incoming live i.e permanent live into the switch, L1 as switched live and S as a link to the slaves? I'm not really sure what they mean by 'S' and there aren't any symbols to give a hint.

I remember installing the GET ultimate range a while back and on those there was no L2 in the equation. But I seem to remember there being no specific link to other switches. You just left out L2 and capped it off.

I've googled this but not found anything helpful.

If you can help I'd be grateful. I'll phone Hamilton on Tuesday morning but want to get these switches on in a day and planning an early start. It is a new wire and currently the whole house is up and running using conventional white plastic switches which I call my first-and-a-half fix; just hanging off the walls while the decorators do their worst.

And oh, how annoying that they don't provide the little screw which is clearly required to hold the module into the plate.

Thank you

Zs
 29 August 2010 06:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

shaunbutler

Have you got any controllers with them ? Are they digital or analogue type ?
 31 August 2010 04:39 PM

normcall

Aren't these the things which use RF or digital codes to operate remote switches?

-------------------------
Norman
 31 August 2010 04:51 PM

Grobbyman

I used a couple of the GET grid dimmers last year.
From what I remember you are right about L L1 and S.
What I do remember is that if you get it wrong the lights start cycling through bright, dim, bright ,dim.
Didn't cause any harm though.

Regards
George
 31 August 2010 04:54 PM

OMS

..she don't know the system, plus she don't understand she's got all the wrong fuses and splices...And she begs him to show her how to fix it again...'

It was a good year For the Roses (or so I'm told )

Can't help with the switches I'm afraid

OMS

Failure is always an option
 31 August 2010 10:29 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

Well, for the archive and to help anyone who might come up against these little monsters. Err, I mean beauties...

Live into L

Switched live into L1

No neutral and be careful to keep it well out of the way.

for two way and intermediate:

Live into L

Strapper from L on the master to L on the slave, so two in the same tiny slot.

Strappers likewise from L1 and S to L1 and S, from master to slave respectively.

Switched live to light coming out of L1 at either end..

Intermediate is the same as two way, just keep adding.

Lemon Squeezy?

Oh, no. Let's cut to the chase:
They don't work. you end up going to the wholesaler who phone up Hamilton technical and then you are being told what you have done wrong. Twice. So you start changing your wiring around and you know what happens to your head when you do that. Then you get so frustrated and self doubty that you put it all back like it was and get another electrician in to check your wiring and he tells you you've done it right.

So you pick up a leaflet and phone hamilton technical yourself and start begging for help. They tell you you might not have purchased to products from them so you shout alot about not ever buying counterfeit goods and about needing a bit of simple respect and help, and beg some more. Then the nice man tells you very calmly that you're on the phone to BG and you realise you picked up the wrong leaflet to get the number from.....

Then when you do get through to hamilton technical and start describing the problem the guy tells you that they have had a problem with the laminate on the touch plates getting on the back of them and creating insulation,and that if you open up every one and scratch it with a screwdriver they should be ok. So you make him wait and do one on the spot and it does work.

That's about 3 hours of my life gone and I can't get it back. Don't have life to spare.

and now loads of touch plates to secretly scratch with a screwdriver.

You still going ahead with some? Well I suggest you use 47mm deep back boxes. Put one of those little modules under the slightest bit of cable pressure and they fall apart.

Still there? Then try this...if you press on the front of a module to try to get it into the back box you bend the spring behind the touch plate back so that when you touch the plate that you have just scraped clean with your screwdriver, it doesn't make contact. so you have to take it apart and prise the spring open.Then get the whole thing back together again.

eeeh, but they look grand! They really do.

Now, last Christmas one of the Hamilton family came to our lunch. In fact, I think Hamilton paid for it. It takes a beer or ten but I'll have you know that by six o'clock in the evening on a day that starts at noon, I'm gorgeous . I had a business card and a direct dial number pressed into my palm. Promises of special attention if ever I had a problem....Right, let's have a look in the card file and see if I kept it? I have a call to make. Compensation for lost life.

Not good switches, the risk is too high because for how gentle you have to be and how unforgiving they are. I suggest avoid them.

OMS oh you made me smile. I knew you'd get it. (we're talking about the tag line). I put the iPod on random old stuff in the car last week and that came up for the first time in years. I had a bet with myself that you would know, and I just won me some new shoes. Mwah.

Zs
 02 September 2010 09:58 AM

OMS

OMS oh you made me smile. I knew you'd get it. (we're talking about the tag line). I put the iPod on random old stuff in the car last week and that came up for the first time in years. I had a bet with myself that you would know, and I just won me some new shoes. Mwah.

Then I hope they are either sensible, comfortable or eye catching -

OMS

If your not part of the solution then your just sediment

Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.