Increase font size
Topic Title: Wireless gizmo
Topic Summary: Is this going to work?
Created On: 03 August 2010 10:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 August 2010 10:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

Evening all, I'm getting too old for this...

7pm, just packing up and the customer says 'while you're here and seeing as we can't get you back for weeks' My heart sank.

He has some kind of gizmo which he plugs into a socket at the computer and then other gizmos which he plugs into sockets elsewhere in the house, disconnects the usual network and the wireless is boosted and works through the sockets or something. I didn't look at it and don't know what it is, but I bet you know.

The one on the upstairs sockets doesn't work. Would I mind moving the upstairs socket cabling from one fuse board to another?

Two DBs; top and bottom. Each split between RCD protected and an RCBO side. Top has upstairs sockets on an RCBO. bottom has three other socket circuits also on RCBOs.

I extended the cables from the top board. I hate crimps with such a passion but hey ho. The bus bar for the RCBO side of the bottom board wasn't big enough to move the RCBO down. There was space on the RCD protected side of the board into a standard MCB. So I did that for now.

He's going to phone and tell me if it works but I'm thinking is this about sharing a neutral bar? How do they work? If it is about common-law neutrals then moving the circuit to the other half of a board isn't going to work either is it?

It's a TT with a 49 ish Ze. The boards are Harok. Who are they? MK breakers fit, phew.

I'm curious to know what this gadget is and what they need in terms of circuitry.

Right. Where's my slippers?

Zs
 03 August 2010 10:18 PM

normcall

Sounds like a bog standard network over the mains cables to me.
The early ones where a bit subject to interference. Bit like a telephone (mains intercom) and a Cat 4.5 (!) (broadband) analogy.

-------------------------
Norman
 03 August 2010 10:24 PM

daveparry1

Would I mind moving the upstairs socket cabling from one fuse board to another?
----------------------------------------------------
Surely you have learnt when to say NO by now Zs! I'm sure you could have talked your way out of that one without upsetting the customer,
Dave.
 03 August 2010 10:27 PM

savcab

sounds like the homeplug system. havent got any experience of them but have hear they work quite well as long as they arent too far apart and are on the same circuit.
 03 August 2010 10:42 PM

antric2

These are the type of systems that work off the frequency of the mains rather than voltage or current control....I think
 03 August 2010 10:57 PM

savcab

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/...20datasheet.pdf

think the ones in the link from maplin are the ones your talking about and they seem to work off the frequency of the mains according to the data sheet.

edit as link isnt showing. its in maplin website and is a powerline 200m ethernet bridge. hope that helps
 03 August 2010 11:10 PM

Martynduerden

Hi Zs,

I use these things for my own network, they will happily work cross circuits but an RCD/RCBO will interrupt the link so in essence in a 17th board make sure both devices are on the same RCD/RCBO.

You got my number if you cant get to the computer...

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 03 August 2010 11:16 PM

Martynduerden

Upped your link (You need 10 posts to link)

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 04 August 2010 12:10 AM

westfield6

These are power line adapters,genetically called homeplugs after the main manufacturer of them. They use the mains wiring to pass RF networking from one point to another around a property. The mains wiring was never designed for this and thus serious radio interference is generated. Some countries have banned them and the RSGB is lobbying for them to be banned here also.
Your best course of action is to advise your customer do the job properly and install cat 5 cable (possibly a job you could do).

Have a look at this you tube video to see the problems with these devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3yVu5IfaEY
 04 August 2010 07:14 AM

shaunbutler

Good video! I guess they will also interupt you wireless house phone too. Would be like going back in time to the when you when on the phone and a computer connected started dialing.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.