Increase font size
Topic Title: Card Fraud
Topic Summary:
Created On: 23 July 2010 09:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 July 2010 09:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

Just a quick alert. I've a letter from the bank this morning to phone the fraud team.

My account has been compromised. Usual stuff.

In fairness, there might be more to this than meets the eye as one of the lads on a current site has the face of a man who does a lot of hard drugs, but the bank are suggesting it happened on line.

My only on-line ordering over the past three weeks was from screwfix. You might like to use the phone lines instead for a while.

Bah, frozen account for a few days while they send me a new card.

Zs
 23 July 2010 09:15 AM

rocknroll

Generally online transactions are very safe and I doubt Screwfix have been compromised, collection of personal data is usually done via a trojan on your computer that has been installed after visiting some iffy sites, may be a good idea to get the mop and bucket out and clean your computer with a good anti-virus program.

Just a point, transactions probably wont be done by Screwfix but this will be tasked by a security company on their behalf like Verisign or whatever and the levels of security are amazing, 99% of the time it is the host computer or the card that has been compromised.

The other little trick is that at work, whilst shopping, getting fuel someone viewed your card, took down the details and the security number and that is all they need to complete a transaction.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 23 July 2010 at 09:29 AM by rocknroll
 23 July 2010 09:33 AM

Jaymack

The most likely cause is card cloning at a petrol station, fast food outlet, restaurant or other retail outlet, it's always recommended that you keep your card in sight at all times, another source is ATM's, this seems to be the speciality of the eastern europeans.
It pays to have an internet account and monitor this frequently, give your mobile number to the bank for quick contact when necessary.

Regards
 23 July 2010 10:38 AM

rocknroll

this seems to be the speciality of the eastern europeans.

Thats a bit naive actually, the majority of fraud whether it be credit-card or identity fraud is carried out by UK based sophisticated criminal organisations who never really get caught, occasionally an operative at the very low end of the chain who has been recruited in retail outlets gets caught but then the link is broken and not really newsworthy.

When a few sloppy Eastern Europeans get caught then the newpapers are all over it like a rash having people believe they are the cause of all our problems when in actual fact their criminal activities are miniscule compared to the home based criminal activities that go on.

regards

"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 23 July 2010 12:39 PM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: rocknroll

this seems to be the speciality of the eastern europeans.

Thats a bit naive actually, the majority of fraud whether it be credit-card or identity fraud is carried out by UK based sophisticated criminal organisations who never really get caught, occasionally an operative at the very low end of the chain who has been recruited in retail outlets gets caught but then the link is broken and not really newsworthy.

Naive? How very dare you! The whole sentence reads - "another source is ATM's, this seems to be the speciality of the eastern europeans"

Does this imply the "majority of fraud" All incidents I've seen on the TV crime/police reports for ATM cloning have been Eastern Europeans, whether or not they are merely pawns is another matter, if you can elucidate on this, I'm sure we would all be interested!

Regards
 23 July 2010 01:35 PM

rocknroll

I do have it on good authority that fraud, a multi-miilion pound industry is controlled by syndicates up and down the country, the authorities know who and where they are but to infiltrate the organisations is very much like travelling along a spiders web, too many dead ends and it can take years to find the right path.

I was objecting to the blaming of 'eastern europeans' for all our problems, only too often vulnerable people, low paid shop workers and immigrants are sought out for these tasks where the temptation or earning a few quid seems reasonable, probably about twenty quid for a card or bank account details and in a busy store in one of the cities this could be quite lucrative.

One of the things that you need to be aware of is where the assistant says the chip and pin point is out of order and they take your card and enter the details on the computer /till and when you are gone the on screen details are noted.

regards

23 July 2010 02:11 PM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: rocknroll

I do have it on good authority that fraud, a multi-miilion pound industry is controlled by syndicates up and down the country, the authorities know who and where they are but to infiltrate the organisations is very much like travelling along a spiders web, too many dead ends and it can take years to find the right path.

That's common knowledge!

I was objecting to the blaming of 'eastern europeans' for all our problems,

Did I say they were? (Your apologies accepted! )

Regards
 23 July 2010 02:24 PM

rocknroll

another source is ATM's, this seems to be the speciality of the eastern europeans.

Not really, you singled out the 'eastern europeans' for what ulterior motive I dont know. if this wasnt your intention of course I apologise.

A few weeks ago a couple of gentlemen from Liverpool were caught on the M5 with two dodgy ATM fronts so perhaps "another source is ATM's, this seems to be the speciality of the criminal fraternity" would have been more PC.

regards

Edited: 23 July 2010 at 02:36 PM by rocknroll
 23 July 2010 02:47 PM

OMS

A few weeks ago a couple of gentlemen from Liverpool were caught on the M5 with two dodgy ATM fronts

Ehh - Ehh - your not stereotyping scousers there RnR are you

OMS

Failure is always an option
 23 July 2010 02:50 PM

rocknroll

regards

24 July 2010 08:17 AM

tomgunn

I only use Sainsbury's petrol station... if I have to use a foreign owned petrol station... I always ask them.... 'are you going to clone my card?' usually greeted with the reply of.... 'I donna un-dastood wat yu's meanin's?' anyways... be careful out there... and remember... the police are sometimes there to help you!

Keep smiling!!!

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 24 July 2010 10:53 AM

whjohnson

Even HMRC are not immune!

These eastern Europeans could hardly be described as the lower echelons of the criminal food chain could they?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...cars-flash-houses.html

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 24 July 2010 08:35 PM

deleted_2_tony30

my mates in the local police, and is aware of 3 instances in ne scotland of crooks fitting card cloning devices to cash machines along with a stripped down mobile phone to record you inputting your pin.

these have been fitted to atm,s in bank premises, he has seen cctv footage of 2 guys going up to cash machine one turning away from the guy at the machine to block other people seeing the installation.

averaging £5k a day. a trip up north for some work then a long drive down south

tony
 25 July 2010 01:15 AM

FizzleBang

Christmas before last we were heading to Dublin with a couple of friends for a 5 day break. The MD was booking it all and sorted flights with Ryanair online and booked a hotel via one of the big online agents.

2 weeks before we went she the MD got a call from the agents saying that the hotel in question had ceased trading and we would need to find an alternative. On the same day her credit card fraud team called her and asked if she'd done business with a furnishings company in Belfast. She hadn't but some one in Ireland was trying to put £1k worth of tiles on her card!! and then it transpired that there had already been another NI transaction for £500 that had already been cleared.

What happened was that the hotel she originally booked never existed. Some crooks presented themselves with this online agent (don't remember their name but they are a big one) as the proprietors of a mid range hotel. The agents standard practice was at that time to take card details and pass them to the hotel so that if you didn't show on the day they could debit your card accordingly.

Well it turns out that the crooks accepted the card details of a few unsuspecting punters and did a runner. The MD kicked up a fuss and the agents were rather nervous about them having passed card details on to an unverified merchant. The end result was that the card was fully refunded and we were given free accommodation in Dublin to keep us quiet.

So, in our experience card fraud can have a happy ending!!

Paul

"I learned very early the difference between knowing
the name of something and knowing something". - Richard P. Feynman
 25 July 2010 09:25 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: tony30
averaging £5k a day. a trip up north for some work then a long drive down south

There has been a few videos of ATM card cloning, on the TV crime news showing cars being stopped for suspicious reasons and finding fake ATM facias in the vehicle. The 3 or 4 cases I've seen have been all been Eastern Europeans.
It is a common problem throughout the UK. North East Scotland includes Aberdeen, this is a very affluent city nowadays with the oil industry, (I was there yesterday). Unfortunately it attracts all the "whores and comic singers", druggies and other criminal elements of the travelling circus.

Regards
 26 July 2010 10:50 AM

tomgunn

The reason why I mentioned the above was a week earlier I was working right over the otherside of north London when I had to use a foreign petrol station... a couple of hours later I was back working in St Johns Wood when I got a call from my Nationwide peeps asking if I had bought anything in Canada? Never been there... someone was trying to withdraw £300 in cash... clever olde Nationwide.. I have been told that the police no of these and other petrol stations but didnt do anything about it!

Keep smiling!!!

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.