Topic Title: 2 questions
Topic Summary: kitchen dinner
Created On: 23 February 2010 10:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 February 2010 07:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

normcall

You've moved the plot. Our LABC has an inspection fee if over £5000, most of my work within the scope is well under that as I don't get involved with builders any more - they always want something for nuffin or 'there's no money for all this bonding, earthing and new circuits rubbish. I only allowed 4d for the electrics'.

-------------------------
Norman
 24 February 2010 09:23 PM

rocknroll

Okay has my post before Norm's sank in, if you are invited to participate in wiring an extension you have nothing to pay, but you may be required to inform the inspector when your first fix is done and then the second fix or he/she may just require a copy of the EIC at the end of the job with no inspection from them, this is basically called 'complex notification'.

Where you just do electrical work then only schedule/table 2 or B is relevant. This is called 'simple notification'.

For extending a circuit, single circuit or one room the fee should be up to £75, generally the fee at this level can be waived and self certification is permitted with no inspection, you have to send a copy of your MWC/EIC to BC.

For anything above this, rewire, consumer unit change etc; the fee should be up to £145 and again you may be required to inform the inspector at first and second fix or if not a copy of the EIC will be required.

Please note that the figures of £75 and £145 are only specific to us and you have to access your local BC website for their charges, it is quite possible you have say 4 BC's in your area that have different charges, and that does not include the independent BC's.

If you want to act as an agent for the house/land owner and pay the fee and charge it on there is a space on the form for you to fill in your details as their agent but the house/land owner is ultimately responsible for compliance with the Building Regs, what most electricians do is download a form from the local BC's site and get the customer to fill it in and post it or bring it in with a cheque/cash. Beware of the charges you levy for notification as on the final certificate is a box relating to the fee paid.

If you are not known you may be required to send in copies of your letterhead, and certificates of competence also insurance and it is kept on file, the information you provide is protected and the only correspondence you may receive is information relating to any changes in the Building Regs and you may get a free copy of Part P printed off for you.

Notification of electrical work is a simple process but before you start downloading a form and sending in the fee contact your BC as very often the fee is waived for simple jobs and just a copy of the MWC or EIC is required. (Self certification).

Note: I am being area specific here.

And as I said earlier the majority of people have no problem with their building control.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 25 February 2010 07:00 AM

normcall

Not a lot like my LABC work at all.
This is starting to be like getting hold of the local electicity supplier to sort a non emergency problem.

Fortunately ( or not!), LABC are just that, local.
I know the DSA try to set some degree of uniformity, but if the public want local accountability, then so be it - good or bad. It's just when those who think they rule the world start imposing from above and try to shift blame back locally, I get cross.

Norman
 25 February 2010 07:54 AM

zeeper

Going back to my point regarding the OP where the guy is obviously an all rounder

My brother gave up working as an apprenticeship served electrician over ten years ago after he became corgie register(gas safe now). So my idea was to supply him with a calibrated meter, remind/help him with the tests and show him how to fill in the MWC if hes forgot.

did he declare that he was doing the electrics, if he accidently forgot

He said that he informed them at time of notification that there would be power and lighting installed. So all is good

and a keen graduate has picked this up well good for him, do the crime, pay the fine. LOL

Surely its up to BC to make sure that a tax payer is informed and up to date of any issues with thier notification, thats part of their job. And not to use the system of fines to increase thire revenue.

From what he has told me, he has been open and honest with BC.

And the latest up date is BC gave the OK and footings were poured on tuesday, block work to start on saturday weather permitting.

edit layout

Edited: 25 February 2010 at 08:41 AM by zeeper
 25 February 2010 10:11 AM

rocknroll

Well if your brother has been open and honest all he has to do is contact the local BCO where he submitted his original application and thrash it out with them.

There is nothing wrong with sending out 'graduate engineers' keeps people on their toes we all have to start somewhere.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 25 February 2010 02:39 PM

AJJewsbury

Okay lets clear this up;

Thanks R&R - that makes more sense!
- Andy.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » 2 questions

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.