Topic Title: Inspection and Testing of installations
Topic Summary: Testing beyond the spur!
Created On: 22 February 2010 07:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 12 13 14 15 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 March 2010 01:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SandyBoiler

Zeeper said:

Im sorry, but a supply to current using equipment that is not portable is a very weak arguement for declaring that circuit as being part of the fixed wiring. Are you sure its not classed as stationary equipment or built in appliance. Testing of this is covered in "code of practice for inservice inspection and testing of electrical equipment".

Yes... -- "it's not portable" was a poor choice of words on my part (...my point still stands, just omit those three words from the sentence)...

I agree that the vast majority of the time, current-using-equipment that is supplied by a plug and socket doesn't form part of the electrical installation (in which case it will be covered by PAT testing).
But IMO, the wiring of the boiler circuit is part of the electrical installation even if it is supplied by a plug and socket (the fact that it is supplied by an FCU or plug and socket is not a loophole that means it doesn't form part of the electrical installation).

I'm not trying to make more work for myself, this just seems the only reasonable way to look at it. This wiring has been designed and installed in the same manner as the rest of the electrical installation and therefore should be tested and inspected in the same manner too. Whether it actually gets tested on a PIR or not is another matter (often it won't but it should be inspected at least)...

Also I noticed there is no final circuit arrangements in app 15 for y plan boilers.

Probably because of the first sentence of appendix 15 ("...using socket-outlets and fused connection units"). Appendix 15 shows the A1, A2 and A3 standard circuits, it doesn't show final circuit arrangements for lighting, smoke detectors, electric cookers, electric showers, boilers etc...

-------------------------
Andy B
 11 March 2010 01:29 PM

perspicacious

Last post:

by SandyBoiler

The last I can find is ebee's of 09 March 2010 05:40 PM.

Is there a site problem or removal of posts by the writer or Mod?

Regards

BOD
 11 March 2010 01:33 PM

spinlondon

Are you showing off BOD?
 11 March 2010 01:35 PM

AJJewsbury

Last post:

by SandyBoiler

The last I can find is ebee's of 09 March 2010 05:40 PM.

Is there a site problem or removal of posts by the writer or Mod?

Posts are here, but sometimes hidden. If you hack the URL and change the STARTPAGE parameter to 15 it all appears!

Mind you, I did that for page 14 and it all started working after that, so maybe...

- Andy.
 11 March 2010 01:40 PM

spinlondon

I think BOD kinda knew that already Andy. Doesn't explain why the posts ar timed an hour after they are made though.
 22 March 2010 07:37 AM

zeeper

"...If the fixed wiring/equipment downstream of an FCU is only protected against overcurrent by the fuse in the FCU, then this fixed wiring/equipment must be a different circuit to the fixed wiring that supplies the FCU

I have rediscovered the 17th edition BS 7671, corrigendum (July 2008) And interestingly in app 15 they have deleted the word circuit next to spur in relation to FCU. I take this to mean that they dont consider the wiring after the fused spur to be a circuit in its own right.
 22 March 2010 03:20 PM

SandyBoiler

Zeeper said:
I have rediscovered the 17th edition BS 7671, corrigendum (July 2008) And interestingly in app 15 they have deleted the word circuit next to spur in relation to FCU. I take this to mean that they dont consider the wiring after the fused spur to be a circuit in its own right.

Well most of the time the OPD at the DB will provide adequate fault current protection for the spur so they probably don't want to give the impression that an FCU must always be treated as the origin of a separate circuit (with the implications that might have for certification).
But it is still a separate circuit by definition, and so may be treated as such...if the designer chooses...(I repeat that in certain rare instances it should (or must) be treated as a separate circuit...)...

-------------------------
Andy B
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Inspection and Testing of installations

<< 12 13 14 15 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.