Increase font size
Topic Title: Barcode labels when PAT testing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 February 2010 12:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 February 2010 12:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

novicetester

Hello all, I am new to PAT testing and was just wondering why somepeople use barcoded labels?

I have read in the code of practice that a label should have ID,Test Engineer, Test Date and Next test due date. altho most bar codes i have seen only have an ID number on them, doe this mean I have to put 2 labels on every appliance i test? one bar code and one with details?

Also there is nothing that i can see in the code of practice that states an appliance should keep the same ID for each test.

I havent as yet taken my course or done any PAT testing but I would of thought if an appliance had the same ID every year of testing this would make it very hard for the engineer if someone moved the appliance to another room, got rid of the appliance or replaced it with a new appliance, as if you had a numerical order tester this would be very time consuming come to the next test date would it not?

Is this the correct procedure or do you test an appliance then the next time its due retest, remove last years label and start again?

thank you for any help

novice
 06 February 2010 12:41 PM

dg66

The bar code contains certain information about the appliance,so when it comes to testing you plug the appliance into your PA Tester scan the bar code and the relevant tests are carried out automatically.

-------------------------
Regards

Dave(not Cockburn)
 06 February 2010 01:43 PM

alancapon

Originally posted by: novicetester
Also there is nothing that i can see in the code of practice that states an appliance should keep the same ID for each test.

If you change the reference number each year, how do you know whether items are degrading with time?

. . . . I would of thought if an appliance had the same ID every year of testing this would make it very hard for the engineer if someone moved the appliance to another room, got rid of the appliance or replaced it with a new appliance . . . .

If you don't start with last year's list, how can you work out how many appliances are "missing" or "hiding" and still need the owner to search for?

. . . . if you had a numerical order tester this would be very time consuming come to the next test date . . . .

Easy. Give it a barcode so that the test machine can read the appliance number and other details itself.

Regards,

Alan.
 06 February 2010 06:00 PM

Testit

Essentially the information is retained on the tester. The barcode is the reference for the machine to look up the information relating to that item/job. Same as in shops, it pulls up the information relating to that product from its database... All the barcode does is provide a reference number to pull up the information and automate what you would need to do manually otherwise... thus saving time and money.. of course the machines to do this are slightly more expensive...

Online Services - http://propertydevelopment.org.uk

Experience can sometimes show that cost prevails over quality and safety, such little self-value that people hold.
 02 June 2010 09:56 AM

dunk75

I am just starting out using barcode labels and was wondering which would be the best scanner to purchase? I will be doing pretty much the same work as novicetester. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
 04 December 2013 11:16 AM

jsa986

Most smart phones have a barcode reader facility

www.icertifi.co.uk
Electrical & Gas Certificates on iPhone & iPad
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.