IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Domestic mains cable attachment point at property exterior.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08 December 2009 01:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 December 2009 01:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Ptolemy

My house has been in disrepair since the 1980's, and has a rickety insulated 'spigot' that accepts the electricity cable from the pole in the highway. The problem is that this spigot was, long ago, attached to thin timber weather boards, so was never very strong from the outset. Now the timbers are partly rotten, things are even worse.

My question is: is there an obligation on energy networks to ensure such fixings are adequately installed so that they are sound, or alternatively, if they become unsound, should they replace them? It seems to me they might try to charge quite a bit to move it a few inches onto the solid structure of the house, which I think it should have been attached to in the first place.

Any informed views welcome!

J.
 08 December 2009 02:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

intrinsic4225B

Probably worth a call to your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) expressing your concern for said for the 'spigot'.

I'm not too sure how they might approach it - the fixing is their property, but the weather boards to which it is fixed are yours. If the fixing is in reasonable condition and it is the condition of the weather boards that is making the installation unsafe, they might try to pass the responsibility back you you.

That said, theres not much you can do about the weather boards without their involvement!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.