Increase font size
Topic Title: Utility room Extractor fan
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 November 2009 06:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 November 2009 06:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Does a utility room that has an opening window require an extractor fan? Or is the window concidered enough ventilation? The room will house a washing machine and a tumble drier only NO SINK.

So in fact is the room a utility room if it has no sink installed?

This is a part room conversion from a bedroom to a utility room (on a bungalow). the other half of the old bedroom is going to form a stair case for the loft conversion.

Thanks.
 02 November 2009 07:30 PM

pjcomp

What does building control say about it? When BC says do something I tend to take the path of least resistance, even if it's not necessary (unless, of course, it's downright dangerous or contrary to the Regs). they have the final say and it's never usually worth the effort of arguing, with the risk of spoiling relations for the future.

PJ
 02 November 2009 08:14 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

mikejumper

Originally posted by: 1652

Does a utility room that has an opening window require an extractor fan? Or is the window concidered enough ventilation?
Thanks.

Approved document F doesn't give the option not to fit a fan if there is an opening window, so I think the answer is yes, a fan should be fitted.

30 litres per second minimum extract rate.
 02 November 2009 09:31 PM

74jools

Originally posted by: mikejumper

Originally posted by: 1652

Does a utility room that has an opening window require an extractor fan? Or is the window concidered enough ventilation?

Thanks.

Approved document F doesn't give the option not to fit a fan if there is an opening window, so I think the answer is yes, a fan should be fitted.

30 litres per second minimum extract rate.

I was going to post a similar question as have been wiring a utility room today, I have looked at part F online and cannot see any stipulation as to where the fan should be positioned or not positioned?
 02 November 2009 10:34 PM

swoop720

what you need is a vent for the tumble dryer behind the unit, unless its one of those condensor ones - then just fit an extractor to be sure.
the TD can create damp + condensation
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.