Increase font size
Topic Title: Sockets & switches height
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 June 2004 11:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 June 2004 11:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

deleted_propertybaron

When re-wiring an old house & the householder wants the new sockets & switches to be in the same positions as the old ones,(not as the new regs.) can I do this and will the installation still be passed by the Elec. Board?
 10 June 2004 04:00 PM

deleted_abaker

BS 7671 does not stipulate a minimum height for sockets and switches, this is a requirement of building regulations. The electricity board will not check the heights of the sockets and switches so at the moment you can put the sockets and switches were the customer wants them. This is likley to change in January when Part P of the building regulations comes in to force.
Alan
 11 June 2004 07:54 AM

gkenyon

I think the part of the Building Regs which dictates socket & switch heights is already in force.

If you are "repairing", i.e. replacing existing socket outlets, you would probably be OK leaving them at the same height, as it's existing (can't see that this will change w.r.t. Part P).

However, if you are fitting new outlets, they must comply with the current Building Regs heights.

Having said that, you need to consider the usability of each outlet - many think that outlets on the skirting board are NOT acceptable, as this is a fire risk (cords get damaged at the outlet, and set fire to carpets).

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 11 June 2004 08:16 AM

ahr35181

Whilst not giving a definite minimum height, reg 553-01-06 does require socket outlets to be high enough from floor level to avoid mechanical damage. Many a socket / plug top have been busted with being too low. If the existing sockets are less than 150mm from the floor I would insist on mounting them higher (at 450mm).

Alan
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.