Topic Title: Acceptable postings on this forum
Topic Summary: Recent issues over inflammatory postings
Created On: 13 July 2009 01:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 July 2009 01:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rossall

I am aware that there has recently been an increase in conflict between a limited number of users on this forum, and that this is affecting the usefulness of the service for others. The moderators have never set out to read every posting on what is an active forum, and have attempted to allow a degree of self-policing. However, it is clear that some users are unable to adapt their own tone and content to meet the conditions of use.

I therefore remind all users that this forum is owned and operated by the IET. Users take part in the discussions only by permission of the IET. That permission may be withdrawn at any time, at the sole discretion of the IET, and without further justification being necessary. In particular, messages may be removed or accounts banned if, in the opinion of the moderators, this is in the best interests of technical and professional discussions in the forums.

The following are specifically breaches of the conditions of use and associated rules of conduct:
    Registering multiple accounts or false contact details; accounts that appear to breach this will be banned immediately

Failure to post in a manner that is objective, and respectful of others. This includes respect to those who are posting from a position of apparent lack of knowledge. There is a distinction between a reasoned response advising the use of a qualified professional, and a reply that belittles or undermines the questioner.

Contributors who are nonetheless inclined to make derogatory comments should be aware that Web discussions are covered by laws on defamation. Such postings will be removed.

If individual users do become aggravating, please remember that you can choose to ignore (not see) their posts using the feature at the bottom of the dashboard - you need to stay logged in for this to work of course. Done more widely, this could allow discussions to continue in spite of unhelpful interjections.

This forum has become the very useful resource that it is through the contributions of its participants. The IET is appreciative of these contributions, and trusts that they will continue unabated.

Regards

-------------------------
David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology

Edited: 17 February 2013 at 05:04 PM by rossall
 13 July 2009 01:41 PM

WalkersWiring

Here here.

Regards -

Jerry

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of a cheap price...
 13 July 2009 05:18 PM

duffsparky

Way to go David
 13 July 2009 06:56 PM

alancapon

David,

Thank you for your public statement on this matter. I am sure that I was not alone in reviewing how much longer I felt able to contribute to this forum, bearing in mind the problems of recent months.

Regards,

Alan.
 13 July 2009 08:36 PM

mrlondon

I used to be a daily reader of these forums but i felt the unacceptable behaviour of a very small minority spoiled my quest for knowledge and have steered clear recently, I'm glad to see some steps have been taken to address this matter.

Mr_London

13 July 2009 10:42 PM

naughtymoose

At last!

I'd all but stopped reading the forum pages.

It's always a minority (one or two) that has to spoil it for all the others. I'd like to carry on learning from the forum, not getting an earful from the Missus' when I moan to her about the aggro on it!

Zero tolerance to the idiots (100mA should do the trick nicely...)

Colin

(Crossmoose!)
 14 July 2009 06:59 AM

GaryMo

I hope this signals normality again. Thanks David.
 14 July 2009 08:55 AM

Abbijoe

Judging by the activity on the 'Electrocution in a bath at a rented cottage' thread, it appears to be falling on deaf ears...

Pity...
 14 July 2009 11:34 AM

paulburns

At Last,
This is a very welcome post.
Have not been very active on the forum and the reasons being having had my own ability questioned and also reading others being insulted, there are alot of aroggant people out there. i hope things get better from here on in. Fingers crossed.
regards
Paul.

The one who snores the loudest will fall asleep first.
(one who criticizes is often oblivious to his own faults)
Criticism must be used lightly,A gentle wind kindles,while a strong wind kills the fire.
 14 July 2009 01:42 PM

mikejumper

Let's hope this will cut out the dead wood and allow new growth.
 15 July 2009 07:27 PM

deleted_3_tnt

A timely and long overdue intervention; the diatribe by a few was becoming monotonous.
 15 July 2009 09:48 PM

gazza29

Ive never been a big poster on this forum, however ive always had a read of postings most days and in the past learnt a few useful tips and broadened my knowledge from more experienced regulars. However i too feel of late its become a place where a few who seem to have issues air their grievances online at the expense of genuine enquiries or questions. This is probably why there seems to be of late less in depth discussions and technical content. Hopefully things can get back to how they used to be and be of benefit to electricians of all ability
 15 July 2009 10:25 PM

sparkingchip

I have been to a Yoga class at the gym and my Karma is restored, so I may be alright in the next life.

best behaviour and no getting wound up from now on, sorry.

Andy
 17 July 2009 12:56 PM

iansettle

I think that user's names should also be checked before anyone is allowed to post as one off the names of the offenders who was doing the postings was a lot to be desired if you read it carefully.
 02 August 2009 12:25 PM

BS88

Now I have not posted in this topic because I felt it was pointless, the moderators here at the IET have IMO let this site down big time, coutless long standing members have complained about one member, one pathetic member.

-----------------

This message has been edited to remove the content which has been reported, and some inappropriate assumptions made thereafter.

Your patience is appreciated.

Edited: 03 August 2009 at 08:42 AM by IET Moderator
 03 August 2009 08:39 AM

asantu

Hello,
Action has been taken in response to the moderator reports which we have received.

--
Asan Tu
Senior Technical Analyst
Internet Services Group
The IET
 03 August 2009 04:19 PM

perspicacious

RnR

I think you'll find that the whole thread about the contractor being sued was deleted so quite a few others had their posts removed as a result.....

Regards

BOD
 03 August 2009 04:20 PM

OMS

Classic didactic approach RnR - who knows how far the establishment will go to maintain the myth surrounding the relationship between domestic electrical installation and the astronautics branch of aerospace engineering

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 03 August 2009 04:20 PM

asantu

Just the one 'Tu', thanks and I'm not a new mod.

A stronger moderation presence was requested after recent events, and this has been granted.

The thread referenced was deleted as the original post had been removed by the OP, and therefore the remaining thread served no constructive purpose.

Please try to keep the posts on-topic and without the unnecessary soapbox moments.

--
Asan Tu
Senior Technical Analyst
Internet Services Group
The IET
 03 August 2009 04:21 PM

OMS

Just the one 'Tu', thanks and I'm not a new mod

Ahhh - a follower of The Kinks and The Small Faces no doubt

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Acceptable postings on this forum

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.