Topic Title: Looking at renovating a house and avoiding Part P as best as I can
Topic Summary: Any advice? Experience?
Created On: 02 July 2009 02:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 7 8 9 10 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 July 2009 11:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

whjohnson

Indeed.

It seems that they are attempting to design and regulate out all risk from every human activity, to the point whereby the activity is rendered to a standstill.

Paralysis by regulation, followed by the swift demise of getting anything done at all.

-------------------------
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 12 July 2009 11:16 AM

ajelectrical

I feel for the youngsters coming through who are being bombarded with regulation at school too!

These kids must feel absolutely squashed.

You can see why they are frustrated. The government is making the society so diffiucult for people to feel free.

And these damn cameras everywhere....jeez !!

It has definately gone to far.

Andrew. But I don't want you to test anything. I just want the board changing !!
 12 July 2009 06:17 PM

Baz

It seems we all have an issue with Part 'P' and the 'Guild of Unqualified Eletricians' who tend to inhabit this domain. All this aside, if you feel you are competent and your experience supports this AND the work is not for profit, ie family you can trust, go ahead and do the work, just like all the others who ignore Part 'P'. If there are no mishaps sucha as electrocution of a family member, the very worst that can happen is that when the house is sold you will need a PIR, which you need for the HIP (spit on the ground!). I am concerned however that you do not hold the correct qualifications. I have HND Electronics, the science part is ok for electrical work, but they did not cover the Regs. As most domestic work is of a type, ie you install standard circuits, science is not often used, BUT the Regs are, so beware! Good luck with the project.
 12 July 2009 06:33 PM

Phillron

It seems on the one hand the government want regulation of domestic electrical work restricted to those of us willing to pay for the privelege
On the other hand it wants this market open to the general public for diy
It has created a half way house with restrictions on most home owners who nothing about the regulation in the first place
For the homeowners who have heard that something is brewing,they have created doubt and fear
All of the mixed up illthought regulation,does seem to have the stink of money generation attached to it

If I were not in the trade and saddled with my own vested interests I personally would have no hesitation doing the work and would concern myself with labc when or if they took the slightest interest themselves
The part p is and was and will always be. a joke that has fallen on deaf ears
Why pay money to involve these comedians,spend it on the install instead
 12 July 2009 11:48 PM

sparkingchip

shame this weak minded government did not have the guts to ban all DIY electrical work.

Once people understand there is a vast difference between making some thing electrical work and it actually being safe the better.
 13 July 2009 01:13 AM

apfear

Thanks for the replies everyone, didn't expect this topic would be still going! It's nice to see I'm not alone in my opinions. :-)

sparkingchip: I can only assume that was an attempt to troll?
 13 July 2009 11:03 PM

sparkingchip

no, I have a firmly established position on diy electrical work and have brought a previous post of mine back up for you to have a look at.

Andy
 14 July 2009 09:00 AM

duffsparky

Dudes,

I've not read all the postings here so apologies if I'm reiterating what others have said.

Is this apfear for real? or is he/she (herein after referenced in the masculine) one of the disruptive element yanking everyone's chain.

If for real, IMO, I'd give apfear a very wide birth. He clearly thinks he's above the law, unlike the rest of us. The fact that he doesn't want to comply with his 'duty of care' demonstrates a degree of non-competance.

Remember any advice you give on the internet is like any advise you give elsewhere, if things go wrong, you could find yourself up in court on the wrong side of the beak.

Edited: 14 July 2009 at 09:14 AM by duffsparky
 14 July 2009 09:09 AM

spinlondon

Originally posted by: sparkingchip
shame this weak minded government did not have the guts to ban all DIY electrical work.

Once people understand there is a vast difference between making some thing electrical work and it actually being safe the better.

Perhaps the government were more concerned about public safety, than protecting the livelyhood of a few electicians.
 14 July 2009 05:21 PM

John Peckham

Banning DIY work may be a bridge to far. However banning persons passing themselves off as electricians and doing DIY work for money or reward in other people's houses does need banning.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 14 July 2009 06:55 PM

normcall

You getting at me?

Norman
 14 July 2009 07:00 PM

John Peckham

Norm. No. You were trained as an electrician.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 14 July 2009 07:02 PM

normcall

Just testing, John!

Norman
 14 July 2009 08:06 PM

FizzleBang

Originally posted by: johnpeckham

Banning DIY work may be a bridge to far. However banning persons passing themselves off as electricians and doing DIY work for money or reward in other people's houses does need banning.

Like you John, I have no appetite for banning DIY of any variety. But how could they police the issue of people who know just enough to be dangerous and sell themselves as skilled?

I've just come in from a builder friends house. He'd found some exposed choc block connections in his kitchen behind a draw and wanted to know if they were dead because he's doing some work there this evening.

After half an hour of tracing, the sum total of what I found was:
Exposed live terminals.
Three 2.5 T&E radiating from the cooker switch (fed by 6mm cable on 32A breaker), one to the 6.4kW oven, one to a double switched socket and the other to a ceramic hob (guess at 6kW)
All cpc's left loose and floating unsleeved in cooker switch back box. Including the Cpc of the 6mm so everything including the socket in the cooker switch were without earth.

I've left it earthed and safe(r)but it needs wiring up properly some time. The only danger now being the possibillity that some of the cables could/will be overloaded (pushing diversity a bit!).

Apparently this little gem was the work of a relative who works for an alarm company and is happy to pass himself off as an electrician.

The builders wife was very upset when she came home and saw what I had found. This bloke also wired up their spa bath. They have 2 small children and don't have a shower. I've told them to keep it turned off until I can inspect it for them.

I doubt that they will kick up a fuss, at least not at the legal level. So how can standards be policed outside of Part P and the notification procedure? Wait for accidents then hope it frightens others into submission?

Paul

"I learned very early the difference between knowing
the name of something and knowing something". - Richard P. Feynman

Edited: 14 July 2009 at 08:42 PM by FizzleBang
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.