Increase font size
Topic Title: Clamp on ammeters
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11 December 2007 06:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 December 2007 06:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BS88

Wonder if any one can help me here, I have just done an assignment and its to produce a specification for the design of a clamp on ammeter.

All the back work is done and I am adding the finishing touches, I want to refer to regulations that this proposed meter would need to comply.

I thought GS 38 but no thats just probes isn't it?, any help would be must appreciated.

Links would be great as I can reference them.

Thanks
 11 December 2007 07:15 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

BS EN 61010
BS EN 61557
GS 38

Thats for starters, there is another about EMI I think somewhere.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 11 December 2007 07:27 PM

intrinsic4225B

Health & Safety Executive Guidance Note GS38 - Electrical test equipment for use by electricians deals with a lot more than just test probes. Paragraph 20 of GS38 is particularly relevant to your enquiry.

The general requirements for the safety of most electrical test and measurement equipment is set out in BS EN 61010 - Safety requirements for electrical equipment for measurement, control, and laboratory use - Part 1 - General requirements.

You may have found it more instructive however to have reviewed these prior to beginning your design, rather than after!

Regards,

Ross Currie TMIET
 11 December 2007 07:50 PM

BS88

Thanks for the replys boys much appreciated.

intrinsic, its just a college assignment where some one says what they need and I point out all obstacles and problems, its obvious regs apply it was just the numbers that evaded me.

Thanks
 11 December 2007 08:03 PM

intrinsic4225B

You may also want to mention independent third party testing of the instrument by a body such as BSI, VDE or UL.

Many instruments claim to 'comply with' or be 'constructed to' standards such as BS EN 61010 but often there is no independent third party verification of such compliance.

Regards,

Ross Currie TMIET
 11 December 2007 08:10 PM

BS88

Thats a belter of an idea thanks, looks like with you and R&R the distinction is on, got to confess to finding this assignment so boring!!!!!!!

Give me laplace transforms any day

BS88
 11 December 2007 09:08 PM

deleted_2_tony30

remember most good clamp meters have hte facility to use probes for voltage etc.
 11 December 2007 09:12 PM

intrinsic4225B

Without detracting from the answer provided by rocknroll BS EN 61557 will not apply to your clamp meter.

BS EN 61557 is titled Electrical safety in low voltage distribution systems up to 1000V a.c. and 1500V d.c. Equipment for testing, measuring or monitoring of protective measures and comes in ten parts.

The first part deals with general requirements, and parts two to ten dealing with specific instruments from insulation testers to combined multifunction testers. It requires compliance with BS EN 61010 for these instruments, but does not address clamp meters. Essentially BS EN 61557 applies to the common instuments used for the verification of electrical installations, plus a few oddities like insulation monitoring systems.

Originally posted by: BS88

Thats a belter of an idea thanks, looks like with you and R&R the distinction is on...

We will be in contact shortly to discuss our consultancy fees.

Regards,

Ross Currie TMIET
 08 February 2013 04:43 AM

aaians

When sizing the clamp on dc ammeter, it is best to choose one big enough to fit comfortably around the pipe, but not more than twice as big.

Link removed/5ma-...amp-on-dc-ammeter.html
 08 February 2013 08:31 AM

ianmcv

I would hope he has finished his assignment by now. This post is from 2007.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.