Topic Title: "Type of wiring"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 29 October 2007 05:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 November 2007 08:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

normcall

I think you might be on a hiding to nothing. They take up 2 'slots' and no longer available as far as I can find. In fact Crabree seem to not have any RCCB available at all.
Options to consider would include protect whole board by a separate RCD, add RCD externally to required circuits (I've done that with showers)or bite bullet and replace board.

-------------------------
Norman
 02 November 2007 08:21 AM

John Peckham

Norm

Thanks I think I have one in the bag now.

Stuart

I think you will struggle to find on as they are as I said a rare beast. They would appear to fit on the DB in exactly the same way as the standard C50 MCB but take up 2 modules. The C50 breaker is obsolete but you can stil buy them from a company on the web ( The Fuse Company) and I know a contarctor who also has a shop and he salvages all sorts of bits and bobs for the shop including C50 breakers.

Probably the best bet for you would be to mount an RCd below the DB in an enclosure and feed this from an MCB and then route the circuit to the RCD.

The C50 breakers are BS3871 Type 2. The ones with white paint in the handle are 3kA rated and the ones with yellow paint are 4.5kA rated.

Difficult question about priority. If you have sockets that could reasonably be expected to be used outside then they must be 30mA RCD protected. You could do this by changing sockets near doors to RCD sockets. The shower is not required to be protected under the 16th edition but will be under the 17th. All shower manufacturers recommend a 30mA RCD and I would always fit one as clearly there is a shock risk. As for kitchen sockets there is no requirement for them to be RCD protected under the 16th Edition but will be under the 17th. Clearly there is an increased shock risk in kitchens with thigs like water, wet hands, metal surfaces, portable appliances, knives and sharp edges. If you are going to have an RCD in the kitchen then make sure the fridges and freezers are on unprotected radials as you don't want to loose the freezer stock in the event of a nuisance trip.

John Peckham

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 02 November 2007 08:55 AM

normcall

They still do a full range of boards and c50 breakers - consumer units for the domestic market
C50 SP £16.54
C50 TP £75.88
C50 6w CSU £53.75

etc.

Norman
 02 November 2007 12:50 PM

Stumorri

Many thanks for your time and efforts regarding this, it is much appreciated and this forum is a valuable resource.

Putting an RCD incomer is easiest solution but may be nuisance in a Pub, board upgrade is my recommendation (not by me though as it would take me too long as one man band).
But since its an old install and no immediate dangers I realise it is (was) satisfactory under regs it was wired to...

Several issues regarding IP rating and location of sockets under bar (very damp area) and in kitchen due to chip fat contamination of SFSpurs, DP isolators etc and cleaning of vertical surfaces.

Fixed wiring tests very well, general wear and tear of switches / sockets for a working pub.

Main bonding good and good cross bonding, real evidence of good electrical work previously.

Again, many thanks for advice and info.

Stuart
 02 November 2007 12:56 PM

Stumorri

OOps, sorry, read post again, and realise you mean RCD indivdual circuits after MCB!

Good idea, but no room locally in the cupboard, so would have to either locate nearer points of use for each circuit (upto 10 req'd) or make cupboard bigger. All sounds like a bodge though, and new board would be best, just glad I'm not paying for it!

thanks again,

Stuart
 31 May 2010 03:02 PM

mdhaughey

Hi everyone came across your thread about c50 rccb, just bought 2 on ebay do they offer overload protection,any help much appreciated.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » "Type of wiring"

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.