Topic Title: SWA Termination into plastic CU
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 July 2007 01:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 July 2007 01:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

deleted_1_allergyclown

I have just been reading some threads on SWA glands etc and have a question.

When you have to run a SWA into a spareway in the CU and the CU is plastic should you always terminate and gland outside the CU into a plastic/metal box? Or is it acceptable to feed into the plastic CU?
 06 July 2007 02:17 PM

Konnectek

You can terminate into a plastic enclosure as long as you use a 'banjo' tag and connect that tag to the earth terminal. It is also recomended that you use 2 lock nuts(either side of the plastic) to avoid 'creepage' of the plastic! Hope this helps.
 06 July 2007 02:42 PM

deleted_1_allergyclown

Thanks Konnectec -If you are earthing the armour and not using it as a cpc then do you need to treat it as main bonding and use 10mm earth cable? Or is 4mm as supplementary bonding good enough?

Edited: 06 July 2007 at 03:07 PM by deleted_1_allergyclown
 06 July 2007 02:59 PM

DOUGIE1000

I always install a 4x4 metal joint box beside the plastic fuse box and with grommet, strip the SWA long enought that the cables pass right throught the 4x4 joint box and into the plastic fusebox, remember ro earth the 4x4 joint box as well though.

This means no joint in the swa at fusebox

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 06 July 2007 03:06 PM

SpaElectrical

Good luck to anyone who wants to try to terminate SWA directly into a plastic CU without going into a box first!

I always earth the SWA via banjos with a cpc of the same csa as the SWA live conductors - If it's 10.00mm SWA, then it's 10.00mm single earth from the banjo.

I always try to ensure that there's always a 'spare' core in the SWA to use as a separate cpc too, so for single phase I use 3 core.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
 06 July 2007 03:08 PM

deleted_1_allergyclown

Thank you SPA - that is the answer I was looking for
 06 July 2007 09:20 PM

robsinders

Good luck to anyone who wants to try to terminate SWA directly into a plastic CU without going into a box first!

Really depends on the consumer unit I hate sqaure D where you just fix the back plate and the whole of the front is removed,
for earthing swa in plastic you cant beat piranha nuts the grub screw locks the nut so it cant loosen its so much better than a banjo
 06 July 2007 09:51 PM

tattyinengland

Try these they are the best way to earth the SWA absolutly fantastic - just add it to the cost of the job - all in all not too much. Piranha Earth Locking Nuts. HERE:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Ma.../Glands_SWA/index.html
 06 July 2007 09:55 PM

tattyinengland

You can run an earth tag from this nut to the earth bar - they supply all the kit all you have to supply is a small length of earth wire and a lug.
 06 July 2007 10:01 PM

mikespark

I agree on the piranha nuts, best idea for a long time.
 06 July 2007 10:17 PM

robsinders

To be honest even in metal, a banjo and bolt are reliant on the locknut and nut and bolt being tight , paint being removed etc also this connection is prone to corrosion
 06 July 2007 11:21 PM

Grandfortune

to be honest i just cut the SWA at the board and go straight in with just the 3 cores,then at the other end i strip the steel braid and cut half of it off,the other half i tape with earth insulation tape and terminate in a earth terminal no glands used at all,just straight in to the board both ends ,is it really that bad??
 06 July 2007 11:26 PM

DOUGIE1000

Yes the outher sheath must be conected to earth at one of the ends as a minimum, naughty you

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 06 July 2007 11:27 PM

neilr10

Originally posted by: Grandfortune

to be honest i just cut the SWA at the board and go straight in with just the 3 cores,then at the other end i strip the steel braid and cut half of it off,the other half i tape with earth insulation tape and terminate in a earth terminal no glands used at all,just straight in to the board both ends ,is it really that bad??

Jeeeezus...

Electricity is not your friend, it spends its time trapped in an insulated prison, waiting for an opportunity to escape and kill you..
 07 July 2007 03:08 AM

SpaElectrical

Yup, that's a dog-rough and completely unprofessional way of doing it - remember - the SWA armour HAS to be properly earthed, otherwise you have a problem when someone sticks a fork or shovel through it

You are leaving yourself wide open if you don't terminate it in the correct and prescribed manner.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
 07 July 2007 07:37 AM

normcall

I wondered who was doing it that way - now I know, just don't understand how it started.
Got it, pyro used to need a pot and gland until they started doing away with the gland. I expect to find unpotted pyro any day now with the end filled with compound. I mean, why not?

Norman
 08 July 2007 04:52 PM

RRichard

Grandfortune is earthing the armouring, into a connector, but still a rough way of doing it
 08 July 2007 05:15 PM

normcall

But only some of the cores, or are you accepting the principle of 'fortuitous contact'?

Norman
 08 July 2007 06:25 PM

RRichard

Originally posted by: RRichard

Grandfortune is earthing the armouring, into a connector, but still a rough way of doing it
 08 July 2007 06:47 PM

neilr10

Originally posted by: normcall

I wondered who was doing it that way - now I know, just don't understand how it started.

Got it, pyro used to need a pot and gland until they started doing away with the gland. I expect to find unpotted pyro any day now with the end filled with compound. I mean, why not?

The only time you don't need to gland a pyro end is when you use a clamp box is it not...

Electricity is not your friend, it spends its time trapped in an insulated prison, waiting for an opportunity to escape and kill you..
IET » Wiring and the regulations » SWA Termination into plastic CU

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.