Increase font size
Topic Title: Bend Radius
Topic Summary: 90 deg corners with SWA
Created On: 18 June 2007 11:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 June 2007 11:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

p1948040

morning all.

Looking at a job running SWA cable in a garden, clipped around a wall and I am wondering which techniques I could use to ensure minimum bend radius is maintained on 90deg corners. Any tips ?

For example running 2.5mm 6943X 3 core with OD 14mm, requires a minimum bend radius of 84mm as per table 4E OSG. This will present quite a large loop.

Any tips experience appreciated
Martin
 18 June 2007 11:33 AM

perspicacious

If cosmetic is a client issue and wall corners cannot be "notched", why not give the client a spade?

Regards

BOD
 18 June 2007 02:02 PM

philipwright2

Do you need 3 cores? How about using a 2 care cable and use the sheath of the SWA for the earth - if it's practicable of course.

I have seen the hypotenuse drilled, to in effect produce 2 x 45 degree bends instead of 1 x 90. Or just notch out the joint as BOD suggested - if it's really a cosmetic problem though perhaps your choice if wiring might be considered? Perhaps steel tube?

-------------------------
Regards
Phil

I will not cease from mental fight,
nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
till we have built Jerusalem
In England’s green and pleasant Land.
 18 June 2007 02:33 PM

p1948040

good ideas thanks.

The customer will definitely be doing the digging part, I have made that clear from the outset!

yes 2-core could be an option, every bit helps. Not sure about steel tube though.

thanks
 18 June 2007 05:24 PM

AJJewsbury

If there's space and aethetics allow, could you have two 90-degree bends instead of one? (that sounds daft! - I'll try to explain... ) - e.g. if the cable's running horizontally around a 90 degree corner, turn upwards (or downwards) with the 1st bend and then back horizontally along the other wall with the 2nd bend. Probably works better with internal rather than external corners and the two horizontal runs would be a different heights, but allows each bend to be as smooth as you like.
- Andy.
 18 June 2007 05:35 PM

impvan

You could do the same job with 2L2.5 MICC, with an O/D about the same as a pencil.....
 18 June 2007 05:37 PM

potential

Originally posted by: AJJewsbury

If there's space and aethetics allow, could you have two 90-degree bends instead of one? (that sounds daft! - I'll try to explain... ) - e.g. if the cable's running horizontally around a 90 degree corner, turn upwards (or downwards) with the 1st bend and then back horizontally along the other wall with the 2nd bend. Probably works better with internal rather than external corners and the two horizontal runs would be a different heights, but allows each bend to be as smooth as you like.

- Andy.

Yes, this is the way I'd do it.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.