Topic Title: rewirable consumer unit
Topic Summary: change
Created On: 30 May 2007 10:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 June 2007 01:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

deleted_thenewapprentice

Are looking to justify a practice that I am sure the majority of us would frown upon if we came across it in the real world

I'm sure it would get a grade 2 on a PIR, it would with our firm anyway.

Regards

Bradley
 02 June 2007 01:37 PM

GaryMo

Not looking to justify it but looking to see if you agree a warning notice would ensure compliance with BS7671. If that's the case how could you justify a grade 2 on a PIR?
 02 June 2007 01:59 PM

deleted_2_tony30

off topic slightly but with a domestic, 24 hour, off peak and bottom immersionsupply this = 4 tails how do you isolate them, remember theres a neutral too.

5 live conductor!!!

regards

tony
 02 June 2007 02:13 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

alancapon

Originally posted by: GaryMo
Could you call 2 CCU's fed from a common henley block to be 2 sources of supply to an installation? Is so then could you get away with suitable warning notices?

One electricity meter = 1 source (unless it is E7, in which case it could conceivably be two sources)

One electricity meter & 1 standby generator = 2 sources

Regars,

Alan.
 02 June 2007 02:19 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

alancapon

Originally posted by: tony30
off topic slightly but with a domestic, 24 hour, off peak and bottom immersionsupply this = 4 tails how do you isolate them, remember theres a neutral too.

5 live conductor!!!

With Economy 7 (or equivalent), we often see a four-pole main switch - often two 2-pole switches with a linking bar on the operating handle. How about three 2-pole switches linked, although you would have to put it in a small consumer unit housing!

The four-pole arrangements are often for flats with a common meter room, and are accomodated in a small consumer unit at the meter position, with two mcbs to protect the extended meter tails (normal & E7).

Regards,

Alan.
 02 June 2007 09:05 PM

ebee

Interesting banter here.
Ok radial (lighting circuit say) loop in to 1st rose, from first rose loop out in opposite directions to another two (seperate radials) then from these two each to another two ad infinitum. Well up to circuit maximum for current draw.
A tree (or branch or bush or nightmare to PIR anyway LOL ) but wrong or non complying?
The same circuit with umpteen radials fed from the same fuseway on a board then, does it comply or is it as safe/less safe to a greater or lesser extent?
OK more difficult to I & T but that does not make it right to condem out of hand as many would do IMHO (as well as the I & T you`d actually have to do calcs rather than rely on conventional circuit arrangements as defined in the OSG. Remembering that such not listed as conventional circuits may still be correct to BS 7671 but if you defect them you might actually be sued by the original designer/installer).
Well that`s my take on it.
In brief, unconventional does not always equal incorrect

Reminds me slightly of the wrong circuit thread I did recently in that I might not like it at all but difficult to realistically condem. Gosh though, if life was so simple the we`d all live it easily and learn nowt from others

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik

Edited: 02 June 2007 at 09:11 PM by ebee
 03 June 2007 09:02 PM

neilr10

I agree with Davebarman a suitable size split load unit would be the way to go in an ideal world, but then a periodic cert. for the whole installation would have to be issued.

Electricity is not your friend, it spends its time trapped in an insulated prison, waiting for an opportunity to escape and kill you..
 03 June 2007 10:38 PM

megohm

"There has been 6 way rewirable units in the houses and usually the fuses have been doubled up and even three circuits feed from one fuse."

Just checking on my understanding of the Regs.

Is an MCB with multiple final circuits a defect under BS7671 YES/NO ?

Live every day as though it were your last, one of these days it will be!
 03 June 2007 11:02 PM

mark2spark

To answer the original Q:
IMO, a warning notice that there is more than one main switch for isolation makes the installation comply.
Not the best practise, agreed, but I can't see where a code 2 comes from.

I am prone to talking complete bol***ks at times, please accept my apologies in advance.
 03 June 2007 11:05 PM

mark2spark

Originally posted by: megohm
Is an MCB with multiple final circuits a defect under BS7671 YES/NO ?

I don't understand your definition... I can't see how there can be a multiple final circuit(s) from one MCB?
One MCB = One circuit, IMO.

So my answer to your Q would be no.

I am prone to talking complete bol***ks at times, please accept my apologies in advance.
 28 August 2016 03:10 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: ebee

Interesting banter here.

Ok radial (lighting circuit say) loop in to 1st rose, from first rose loop out in opposite directions to another two (seperate radials) then from these two each to another two ad infinitum. Well up to circuit maximum for current draw.

A tree (or branch or bush or nightmare to PIR anyway LOL ) but wrong or non complying?

The same circuit with umpteen radials fed from the same fuseway on a board then, does it comply or is it as safe/less safe to a greater or lesser extent?

OK more difficult to I & T but that does not make it right to condem out of hand as many would do IMHO (as well as the I & T you`d actually have to do calcs rather than rely on conventional circuit arrangements as defined in the OSG. Remembering that such not listed as conventional circuits may still be correct to BS 7671 but if you defect them you might actually be sued by the original designer/installer).

Well that`s my take on it.

In brief, unconventional does not always equal incorrect

Reminds me slightly of the wrong circuit thread I did recently in that I might not like it at all but difficult to realistically condem. Gosh though, if life was so simple the we`d all live it easily and learn nowt from others

Good advice all round

:beer)
IET » Wiring and the regulations » rewirable consumer unit

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.