Increase font size
Topic Title: Hello
Topic Summary: New comer some advice needed
Created On: 05 December 2017 08:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 December 2017 08:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Lcarder09217

Hi all I've been reading through site from time to time my names lee I'm 28 been an electrician for last 10 years
 05 December 2017 09:02 PM

Lcarder09217

So I had my yearly surveillance with my governing body today and they have stated that for any new circuit I add into a house I will have to do a condition report prior to the work is this right?
For example if I ad a new cooker circuit or loft extension etc I would ,like I'm Shure most people would run new circuits to a new 2way consumer unit. Provide installation certificate for new cu and related circuits and building control notification.
What I don't understand if why I have to do condition report for the rest of the house when I am not touching any of the existing installation
Can just see losing a lot of work over it if a 1 day job is now going to take 2 days and Increase cost to customer
 06 December 2017 12:29 PM

AJJewsbury

There's no BS 7671 requirement for you to do anything with an existing installation (other than verifying that it's capable of safely supporting your additions). An EICR or similar is often recommended prior to replacing a CU - mainly to detect problems that'll trip RCDs in the new unit - but even that's only a sensible recommendation, there's no actual requirement to do so.

There's a bit on your certificate to note any comments on the existing installation for anything you've noticed that worries you - there's be no need for that if you had to do a full EICR beforehand.

- Andy.
 06 December 2017 12:43 PM

dustydazzler

Absolutely nonsense

So long as 'your new work' meets 17th ed

Have done loads of jobs where the old house wir8ng is atrocious but still added new works to a small extension and only certified the 'new works'
 06 December 2017 12:47 PM

geoffsd

The schemes are NOT "governing" bodies.

In England now, registration is required for so few types of work that they are all but unnecessary and definitely should not be making up their own rules to project some sort of importance.

Bear in mind they are staffed by ordinary people and, generally, never assume those in charge know what they are doing.
 06 December 2017 05:21 PM

Lcarder09217

Thanks for the replys where do I stand with regards to having this physically written down on there system is it just a case of calling there technical I will probably be changing over to a different scheme by next inspection
 06 December 2017 07:35 PM

davezawadi

which scheme is it? You can use code eg: nce, chroma, efa etc

-------------------------
David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 06 December 2017 07:51 PM

Lcarder09217

Chroma the thing is I joined last year I'm not new to electrics but always worked for company's subbing I had the same assessor as last year nothing was questioned regarding my work was all up to scratch no problems with paperwork etc
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.