IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Bugs in outdoor socket..... causing issues
Topic Summary: Any ideas for a solution??
Created On: 29 November 2017 07:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 November 2017 07:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BrucieBonus

Hello everyone

Called back for a third time to a job today where an outdoor socket is tripping the circuit. The same issue again - the bodies of hundreds of tweeny weeny spiders short circuiting across the terminals.
First time - I cleaned them out
Second time - fitted a new socket and sealed everywhere I could with silicone
Third time - that's why I'm here...

Any suggestions? Could I cover the terminals/connections with silicone?

What eats spiders??
Thanks for any suggestions
BB
 29 November 2017 08:21 PM

dustydazzler

I have never had a socket blow up due to spider ingress
 29 November 2017 08:40 PM

AJJewsbury

Humm. It's tiny baby slugs around here.MK masterseal unit - as per instructions drilled with 5mm drain hole as top & side entries had been used. The creatures had left a brown slime across everything - enough to knock insulation resistance down into the tens of K ohms. For a joint box then something like Magic Gel should work, but for switches and sockets I (obviously) wouldn't recommend that. Sealing around the terminals with silicone doesn't feel right to me (acetic acid and brass/copper??) - and unless the rest of the backplate is completely free from holes they might just find their way further inside elsewhere.

Older members of my family would say conkers (as in the fruit of the horse chestnut tree, for those that didn't play the game at school) to ward off spiders.

In general though, keeping them out of the outer enclosure feels like the right approach. Drainage holes are the obvious weak point in that, but obviously you can't block them if there's any chance of water leaking in elsewhere. I've seen some clever breather plugs for highly rated IP enclosures in the past - I'll have to try and dig out their details again - there might be a solution of sorts there.

- Andy.
 29 November 2017 08:48 PM

normcall

Somehow a spider has laid her eggs within the socket.
Was it left spider accessible for any time?
I had a tripping problem on a raised timber walkway a while ago (not installed by me! - but the landscaper) and on inspection, found lots of little slugs. They found themselves there as mum had slithered through a small gap in the silicon filling around the cable entry and found a nice dry dark place to lay eggs and just left them.
The eggs of spiders are even smaller (as are a lot of spiders).

-------------------------
Norman
 29 November 2017 09:09 PM

BrucieBonus

thanks folks. I've had the slug issue before, but never this. I replaced the old socket with a new (spider free) one but I guess the spider likes the position and keeps coming back and getting in somehow...
 29 November 2017 09:14 PM

leckie

Well if it's a spider problem, the answer might be on the web.

Sorry about that ??
 29 November 2017 09:50 PM

mapj1

I have put a swizzle of glass fibre or rock wool insulation type stuff in the drain tubes on some antennas that had a similar problem Air still exchanged OK, and no condensation seen but the insects very much kept at bay, still in service as far as I know. Not sure about the merits of trying something repellent like a mothball perhaps.

regards Mike
 29 November 2017 10:29 PM

Legh

spray some Insecticide inside the enclosure ............
I wouldn't switch the power on though for a few minutes afterwards

legh

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 30 November 2017 12:19 PM

KFH

I would be tempted to use the electrical putty stuff to seal around the connections on the socket and any holes that spiders could use to get to the inner socket, don't have a Mesterseal to hand to check if that is possible. Or try the sealant spray stuff, similar or the same stuff that is used on printed circuit boards.

When drilling a hole to let water out I usually use 1 or 2 mm. 5mm seems to big to me, all sorts of things could fit through
 30 November 2017 12:26 PM

dustydazzler

Expanding foam ??
 30 November 2017 07:49 PM

unshockable

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081018233819AAohMNk

Stand to be corrected but vaseline should stop anything getting to the connections?

Certainly repels moisture.

Simon
 30 November 2017 09:05 PM

sparkingchip

Mouse poo in a consumer unit today, not the first time and probably not the last!
 01 December 2017 01:51 AM

crossy

We get problems with incy-wincy ants (about 2mm long) getting in anything electrical, a couple of moth balls in the enclosure discourages them and most other wildlife, house geckos are cute but they tend to go bang when they get in a PC power supply.

In a reasonably sealed space the balls last for many months.
 02 December 2017 02:33 PM

Weirdbeard2

Hi BB, I am pretty sure what you are seeing might be the shed skins of growing spiders rather than bodies? These skins and webs themselves won't be conductive when dry but might conduct if they trap dust and moisture. Is the socket used for a particular load that might mean it regularly warms up a bit then cools down?
 07 December 2017 12:11 PM

BrucieBonus

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for all your thoughts and ideas - sorry not to have got back sooner.
Weird - I didn't even know that spiders shed their skin! Like crabs?? The socket is used by the gardener for mowing the lawn etc - so won't be much in use over the winter
I think I'm going to try a combo of insect spray and mothballs inside the socket, plus more silicone around the cable entry point (straight into the back out of the wall)
I'm not sure about the vaseline.... and anyway I've only got my super expensive Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream to hand and I ain't wasting that on a spider !!

Thanks again for the suggestions!
BB
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.