Increase font size
Topic Title: Advice on Wiring Regulations
Topic Summary: Safety concerns regarding installation
Created On: 09 November 2017 01:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 November 2017 01:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JM1952

Hello everyone,

I apologise in advance if this is not the correct place to post this but I was hoping to get a little advice from people in the know about UK wiring regulations. Where better to ask?

I have a holiday home in a caravan park that I recently had a raised deck constructed around. The company who built the deck also installed some LED flexible tape in the handrails which looks very nice.

I got chatting to the two gentlemen doing the install assuming they were qualified electricians but they told me they were not at all, but rather full-time 'caravan washers' who were helping out.

- As they had to wire mains electricity into the 24VDC driver for the LED lighting, should these installers be qualified in any respect? i.e. Part P.

- Should I have been provided with any kind of installation certificate for the work carried out?

A friend of mine who is an NICEIC registered electrical contractor had a quick look the other day and pointed out several elements which I am concerned about from a safety aspect, such as T&E cable hanging loose from the connection to the mains electrical supply. It had not been securely fastened to anything.

Hoping a member here with some knowledge of the current regs would be kind enough to let me know what I should be bringing to the installers attention rules-wise when I contact them.

Thank you very much for your help!

Jonathan.
 09 November 2017 02:10 PM

geoffsd

Anyone can do electrical work. No qualifications are required. The regulations are not actually the law.

Part P is a part of the building regulations which are the law and states that all work shall be done so that it is safe for the user. That's all.
That could involve some testing, so perhaps they have not been diligent enough.
Yes, a certificate should have been issued.

It sounds like it is just a poor job, but may not be dangerous.

Does your NICEIC friend not know?
 09 November 2017 02:21 PM

mapj1

you may not like this, but ..
First the rules that don't apply...
A holiday caravan, even a more or less static one probably will not fall under part P, not being a permanent dwelling, if it did lots of other building regs would apply, and generally they don't. However even so, if it is in England, then adding LED lights to the outside of a permanent dwelling is not notifiable work, though I think it may be notifiable in Wales, as they are running to a previous version of the building regulations.
There is no requirement to be qualified to any specific standard to call yourself an 'electrician', but for those who want to join a trade body like NICIEC, or get insured for working in other folks homes, then a city and guilds level qualification is normally the minimum.
There is no legal compulsion to work to the wiring regs either, but there is a general belief it is a good idea, and non-compliances should be well justified.

Then

There may or may not be a minor works certificate, I might like there to be one, but I'd not be surprised to hear there is not. Basically, they should have tested that the circuit they are adding to is adequate for the extra load, and has a proper earth and recorded the fact. I presume the extra load in this example is not amounting to a row of beans however, so the point is probably a bit moot.

The more useful questions are the trading standards type ones - is the work they have done fit for purpose, have they followed the maker's instructions in terms of locating the driver electronics out of harm's way, does it need ventilation, is it fused at the right value etc.
Badly clipped cables are an eyesore, and if when snagged live ends could be exposed or connections pulled out, then they present a real hazard.
If you think they are not really making the grade, a few pictures of the offending work sent to the company that did it , giving them some time to come and make good, may be a better start than going in all legal, and then finding the ground is shaky beneath you.

Beware, I can't see it, and my mental picture may not be right.

Regs (BS7671) are very clear that they require makers instructions to be "taken into account", and materials and standards of workmanship to be "appropriate for the location", but this is all horribly open to interpretation.
Result, some real dogs dinner jobs, often alongside others that are true works of art.

-------------------------
regards Mike
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.