Increase font size
Topic Title: quooker taps
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 November 2017 06:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 November 2017 06:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Ruddy

hi anyone had any experience with the boiling water taps in kitchen ie Quooker just wondering if they need dedicated circuit or ok spurred of the ring
 07 November 2017 07:08 PM

davezawadi

They need a circuit, how much power do you think yo need to get a good flow of boiling water? Think large shower!

-------------------------
David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 07 November 2017 07:10 PM

alanblaby

Not fitted that make but have done 2 others, both were ran off a 13A fused spur.
 07 November 2017 07:23 PM

Blencathra

According to the website a 13 amp supply is required
 07 November 2017 08:04 PM

mapj1

There are two kinds- the true flash boiler, that deliver a modest flow of boiling water but heat incoming mains water in real time, and the second sort with a well lagged reservoir of hot water that can fill a normal teapot, then you need to wait for it to refill and recover. If the supply is 13A it will be the latter kind. Beware that there are float valves and all sorts of complexity to go wrong in these, and the overflow needs to go to a drain capable of taking boiling water, so maybe a length of metal pipe first.
No substitute for checking the instructions.

regards Mike
 07 November 2017 08:29 PM

Ruddy

thanks all im not fitting just need to wire it looking at the website they just plug into a socket so 13amp supply off ring final should be fine
 07 November 2017 09:15 PM

colinhaggett

Originally posted by: davezawadi

They need a circuit, how much power do you think yo need to get a good flow of boiling water? Think large shower!

Most are rated at 1.6kw and have 3 litres of storage.
 08 November 2017 08:24 AM

Zoomup

I wonder if these things suffer adversely from scale formation in hard water areas?

Z.
 08 November 2017 08:30 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: davezawadi
a good flow of boiling water

Hopefully not! ........... think scalding.

Regards
 08 November 2017 08:53 AM

Zoomup

Quooker taps can producer boiling water. They are too expensive. I would not buy one. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/mon...-cost-more-than-usin/

Z.
 08 November 2017 04:29 PM

mapj1

Depends on the value of the time of all the folk not working while waiting for the kettle to boil. One person on minimum wage, maybe not worth it. Ten people an hour wanting tea or coffee on 60 pounds an hour each, very much worth it as their idle time each loses the company a pound a minute..
So we have such a thing in the tea room at work, where it saves several tens of man minutes each day. Not yet justified one at home however.
I can imagine the "money no object brigade" wanting one in each room with a sink, just in case. Which is why both utilitarian and fancy models exist.
full range

regards Mike
 08 November 2017 04:43 PM

OlympusMons

I remember a woman on the radio once saying she was having the builders around and didn't want them standing around drinking tea all day. So first thing she made them tea out of the hot tap (not a quooker tap), they declined any further offers and finished the job early apparently.
Re quooker type taps, I think they are dangerous and can easily scald any unwary/uninformed people. Especially if they think they are filtered water taps.
EDIT; I might be wrong but I think they don't comply with building regulations which limit the temperature of water coming out of taps.
EDIT 2; There is a requirement to limit the temperature of baths to 48degC, not relevant here. But from Part G
Prevention of excessive temperatures
3.64 Where the operating temperature of domestic hot water in the storage vessel in a dwelling is capable of exceeding 80°C under normal operating conditions (a situation that may occur in vessels used as heat stores and those connected to solar heat collectors or solid fuel boilers that do not have intervening controls between the boiler and the vessel containing the hot water) the outlet from the storage vessel should be ?tted with a device, such as an in-line hot water supply tempering valve in accordance with BS EN 15092:2008 Building Valves. In-line hot water tempering valves, to ensure that the temperature supplied to the domestic hot water distribution system does not exceed 60°C.

might be relevant.

Edited: 08 November 2017 at 05:05 PM by OlympusMons
 08 November 2017 05:00 PM

broadgage

These domestic boiling water taps invariably have a small storage vessel and a loading of under 13 amps.
Connection via a plug and socket is usual and may be a requirement for safe service or replacement without needing an electrician.

Appliances that actually boil water on demand rather than dispense it from a storage vessel do exist but need a vast loading to give a useful flow rate.
I have only ever installed one, IIRC it required a 3 phase 32 amp circuit and the flow rate was considered slow if compared to the gas heated boiling water urn used previously.
 08 November 2017 05:14 PM

mapj1

No more dangerous than a kettle if clearly marked, maybe even safer, as you can't empty the whole volume down your leg at once. You can get ones that have a child resistant actuator that need pressing and rotating or similar so that it is hard to use.

Building regs G regulate water temperature supplied to 'sanitary fittings' which I interpret as baths, showers and sinks intended for the washing of human bodies. Now you or I may wash small babies in the kitchen sink, but I imagine most building inspectors don't.

regards Mike
 08 November 2017 05:22 PM

OlympusMons

Bidets are sanitary fittings, but, unless you are Tom Thumb, are designed to wash parts of the body. Hands are washed in kitchen sinks.
I only mentioned it as food for thought, the bit I quoted mentions "distribution system" at the end which could be construed as the outlet/spout, which could get quite hot on its own, even after use.

Edit; definitions from part G
Sanitary appliance means WC, urinal, bath, shower, washbasin, sink, bidet and drinking fountain. It also includes appliances that are not connected to a water supply (e.g. composting toilet) or drain (e.g. waterless urinal).
Domestic hot water means water that has been heated for cooking, food preparation, personal washing or cleaning purposes. The term is used irrespective of the type of building in which the hot water system is installed.
Hot water storage system means a vessel for storing: a. heated wholesome hot water or softened wholesome hot water for subsequent use b. water that is used to heat other water together with any ancillary safety devices described in paragraphs 3.10 and 3.11 of this Approved Document and all other applicable operating devices.

Edited: 08 November 2017 at 05:53 PM by OlympusMons
 08 November 2017 05:58 PM

sparkingchip

Install a 13 amp single socket located in the cupboard under the sink supplied from a 20 amp double pole switch with a neon indicator, supplied from a suitable socket circuit with the switch located above the kitchen countertop to allow isolation and a visible indication of if the tap is likely to be hot, though it may be hot when the switch is off.

Some people turn them off and empty the hot water away when young children are visiting.

Andy.
 08 November 2017 06:34 PM

davezawadi

I have an instant gas water heater which will give nearly boiling water, but the rating is 30kW. It is great for cooking and washing up on a commercial scale, and water boils in the kettle in less than a minute. You can turn the temp down for the bath, but kitchens need very hot water, and I cannot do without it. Anyone want to sponsor me to go on Masterchef?

Regards

David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.