Increase font size
Topic Title: Plastic consumer unit
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 November 2017 11:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 November 2017 11:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Bewlec

With regard to AMD 3 and a Domestic Installation Condition Report with a plastic consumer unit, what code if any would " Condition of enclosure in terms of fire rating" come under?
Would this be improvement recommended C3, to comply with current regulations or an observation only that it does not comply with current regulations?
 07 November 2017 11:50 AM

davezawadi

Only the observation that it has changed in amdt.3. It is in no way dangerous, although you should check the tightness of all connections.

Regards

-------------------------
David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 07 November 2017 11:53 AM

AJJewsbury

I think the usual guidance is for a C3 if the CU is located where it would impair escape if it did catch fire (e.g. under timber stairs or next to the only external door), no code otherwise.
- Andy.
 07 November 2017 12:16 PM

davezawadi

I disagree Andy. If you remember I protested very strongly at the change, as it was not the plastic which is the original problem , it is loose connections! I suggested that a non metal unit should get a code C1, because it is specifically prohibited in a domestic situation. However I was shouted down, as not requiring an upgrade. Requires improvement is simply not true, just a check that all is well with the connections. This comes from many sources, particularly the manufacturers who are afraid of being forced into "no charge" changes because the product they sold was not fit for purpose. I agree with them that it is fit.

David
BSc CEng MIET
 07 November 2017 12:39 PM

AJJewsbury

The advise I suggested was based not on my personal opinions (you're right Dave, personally I don't think steel CUs are the right answer in many circumstances) - but on "official" guidance - e.g. from the NICEIC http://www.electricalsafetyfir...e-Guide-4-Issue-4-.pdf which seems to be also reflected by CU manufacturers - e.g. http://www.hager.co.uk/news-ex...eakers-story/56586.htm (try the 4th MYTH).
- Andy.
 07 November 2017 12:54 PM

davezawadi

The NICEIC, ElectricSafe or whatever are not any kind of authority, they are effectively a pressure group with members. The IET is an authority but is very quiet, it is taking a safe position!

David
BSc CEng MIET
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.