Increase font size
Topic Title: Floodlight
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 November 2017 10:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 November 2017 10:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

NR316

Hello

I have a customer who wants a floodlight on a sensor but also can be switched on and off aswell. My local wholesaler has nothing with that set up. I am wondering if the best way of doing it is to wire a switch and sensor in parallel that then feeds an ordinary floodlight. Or is there an easier way?

Thanks

Nr316
 06 November 2017 11:13 PM

mapj1

That is the normal way Actually many designs of combination sensor and light have the switched live available so that two or more lights and sensors can be ganged so that any sensor puts all the lights on.
I have been known to have 2 switches, one to force the light on regardless of sensor, and one to force it off, and if neither is on, then its on automatic = sensor.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 06 November 2017 11:29 PM

Nospark

Some sensors/lights can be triggered to remain permenantly on if the line is switched off and on twice in succession. They remain on until switched off.
 07 November 2017 08:47 AM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: Nospark

Some sensors/lights can be triggered to remain permenantly on if the line is switched off and on twice in succession. They remain on until switched off.

Indeed that is so. The modern floodlights can have an override provision that requires the supply to be switched off and on, and again off and on quickly withing say 3 seconds max. This then keeps the light on permanently or until dawn depending upon the design. Turning the supply off for 5 seconds or more then on again returns the unit to totally P.I.R. automatic control.

Some older designed lights will stay on with just one turning off and on of the light's supply quickly. This can be a pain especially if there is a short power cut. The light will then stay permanently on until dawn, or forever. This may be perceived as a fault of the P.I.R. when it is not.

Bye,

Z.
 07 November 2017 10:08 AM

pww235

Can't remember the brand of flood (was probably just off the shelf at one of the sheds/SFix) but at my brother-in-law's place we have it wired to a two-way & centre off grid switch.

Switch positions are either "sensor" or "forced on" while the centre off position keeps it off no matter what the sensor sees.
 07 November 2017 11:27 AM

KFH

I usually use a separate PIR and wire a permanent live to that and a switched live to the switched live (output) from the PIR feeding the light. Some lights incorporating the PIR have the switched live available but I have not seen any LED floods incorporating a PIR with access to the connections.

i have had many users who had difficulty remembering months after installation they could switch the light on by off/on/off/on rapidly so prefer to provide a switch if possible. I have had no problems with PIRs failing due to making the output live.
 07 November 2017 11:34 AM

pal1952

You could consider this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Automation-Remote-Floodlight-TRSKIT04/dp/B01617KFD2

A PIR floodlight with wireless remote.

I'm not quite sure that this is what you are looking for but it is an easy solution.

Peter
 07 November 2017 02:50 PM

ArduinoXR

Just by-pass the PIR with a switched live
 07 November 2017 02:52 PM

pww235

If the difficulty is sourcing a LED fitting with the operation/terminals you require, just buy a halogen one and swap out the lamp for a LED replacement.
 07 November 2017 07:17 PM

Alcomax

Just "by passing " the actual PIR switching mechanism with another switch live will work, but not for long, as the back feed will eventually kill the PIR switching.

Separate PIR detector , stand alone FLOOD and a two way switch is the easier way to go, not so easy to "break in" to all in one LED PIR.

Common of two way is distribution line to FLOOD - 1 pole of 2 way switch is to PL of PIR, other pole is to SL of PIR. So your two way switch has two states: "automatic" [ Flood operated by PIR ] and "over-ride" [ FLOOD ON, completely bypassing PIR switching ] .

So upstream you could have a DP FCU to isolate everything [ if you choose ].....neutral distributed downstream to be common with PIR neutral and FLOOD neutral. Line distributed to one switch pole of two way [ the PL ] and then continuing to PL of PIR. Then you want 2 wires going back the other way....from SL of PIR back to the 2nd switch pole of two way and from line of flood back to common of two way switch.

Distribute earth as necessary.
 07 November 2017 07:24 PM

NR316

Thank you everyone for the replies. Has cleared everything up nicely.

Thanks

Nr316
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.