Increase font size
Topic Title: Smart Meters
Topic Summary: Different approach in Spain
Created On: 06 November 2017 08:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 November 2017 08:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

davidwalker2

Most of the discussion about smart meters on here seems to be generally against and opting to not have them installed. You may be interested in the approach adopted in Spain.

I have had a small apartment on the Costa del Sol for many years, the electricity distributor is Endesa. Generally our supply is good, power cuts only last for 10 minutes or so, although we did have a lost neutral a few years ago which caused most of the lights and appliances to fail (spectacular bright lights, crackles and smoke). However, when I arrived there in late October this year I received a recorded delivery letter. My Spanish is about good enough to get by in shops and restaurants but not for official letters. Thanks to google translate I understand that, according to the law, unless I consent to having a "smart meter" (contadores que permitan la discriminacion horaria y la telegestion) within 60 days my supply will be cut off! No ifs, no buts, a somewhat different approach to here in the UK.

After a series of emails I am now waiting to be contacted by a technician to arrange an appointment for the meter to be changed. Let us hope that it doesn't matter that I am now in the UK (it is an external cabinet).

David
 06 November 2017 09:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mikejumper

Originally posted by: davidwalker2
...unless I consent to having a "smart meter" (contadores que permitan la discriminacion horaria y la telegestion) within 60 days my supply will be cut off! No ifs, no buts, a somewhat different approach to here in the UK...

I wonder if the letter was approved by their PR department.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.