IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: MK CU's
Topic Summary: Have you fitted any amendment 3 units?
Created On: 03 November 2017 07:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 November 2017 07:55 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

mikejumper

Has anyone used the MK dual RCD amendment 3 CU.

It wouldn't be my first choice but the main switch is on the left hand side which happens to be more convenient.

Are they ok?
 03 November 2017 09:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MHRestorations

Not fitted any dual RCD units, but fitted one with Main switch on left and RCBOs, seemed good quality but the securing screws had a habit of stripping (one did it on the first attempt, 2nd did it on a re-fit after energizing a previously unconnected circuit (rewire being done in stages). Box rethreader for M4 and standard conduit box screws fixed that issue. Other than that, nice quality board.
 04 November 2017 09:12 PM

mikejumper

Thanks MH.
You'd think they'd be able to get the simple engineering bits right.
Perhaps M4 re-threaders should be provided with the boards.
 05 November 2017 03:24 PM

Cremeegg

MK used to be my equipment of choice but then I discovered Hager with much more room and better build quality. Main failure with MK goods is the very poor metal used for their grub screws and earth/neutral bars.

At last weeks Elex I see Hager metal units continue to improve all the time and can now offer reduced height double pole RCBO's. Wylex and Crabtree (just badge engineering I know) also offering reduced height RCBO's. I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I was almost impressed by a Chint CU I saw at Elex.
 05 November 2017 04:47 PM

JZN

When the metal boards came in I tried quite a few. Despite the pricing I've stuck with Crabtree. The main switch is on the left. I tried the MK and it was OK, but I just liked the solid feel of the Crabtree and the click in system for mounting the MCBs rather than cutting a bus bar is very sturdy and 100% reliable.

John.
 05 November 2017 07:42 PM

mikejumper

Never used Crabtree, I presume the configuration in a dual RCD unit is fixed if you're not cutting the busbar.
 05 November 2017 07:44 PM

MHRestorations

We're moving to Schneider boards... although the main switch is on the right. The only thing I *don't* like about them is that the lid can be put on upside down, thus defeating the 'metal enclosure' if the lid is left flapped down.
 05 November 2017 09:04 PM

Ruddy

Hi Mike i used the MK board recently for the reasons you mention the main switch is on the left and i had a mains pos with cut out on the left side of the new C U position. there ok no probs with them only it was pre populated and one of the MCBs was faulty. i usually fit Hager and will still stick with Hager but if the same situation arises again i will fit the MK board
 05 November 2017 10:19 PM

Cremeegg

The new Schneider boards may have a fancy customisable magnetic cover so it can match your wallpaper but for some unexplained reason they have put the DIN rail at least half way up the board so the MCB's RCBO's are mid way between top and bottom. You then have very limited room above the RCBO's MCB's for the wiring but loads of wasted room below them - enough space for a couple of Jumbo Mars Bars. At least you needn't go hungry whilst tidying up your wiring.

Their reps always say it leaves plenty of room for bottom entry cables - true but I've never found a problem with entering cables at the bottom then up behind the DIN rail and into the MCB's RCBO's. My problem is inadequate space above MCB's and especially RCBO's with a bunch of functional earths as well.

Not too difficult moving main switches from one side to another.

I wish MHR luck with Schneider
 06 November 2017 12:01 AM

ebee

Ive no problem with mainswitch being right or left.
What I do not like is some split boards with main switch at one side and RCD at the other therefore you cant see where the "split" occours before removing cover or Dual RCDs you cant see which Breaker(s) go to which RCD

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 06 November 2017 01:33 AM

MHRestorations

Cremeegg, thanks for the luck wish... i agree with you on all points. (although actually bottom entry with 25mm tails...oo err mrs... is difficult given the lack of space behind the din rail!)

When I say 'we're moving to schneider boards' I didn't mean to imply I like them. I subcontract and the schneider boards look flashy. Customers like them. For actual work, I prefer crabtree starbreaker, simply because of the shrouded busbar.. But I go with why my boss/partner in crime (it's a symbiotic thing) prefers. Given a free choice, i'd install industrial 3ph boards with a single phase incomer kit, and glory in the extra space!
 06 November 2017 01:36 AM

MHRestorations

ebee... agreed,. the 'split' should be easily visible without removing the cover. It;'s all about ease of work AND confidence in the finished result (that's where some of the noname brands of accessory fall short... I won't name any in case i insult someone's favourite brand, but if i try to tighten the screw to 2.5Nm and the head falls off... i am not recommending it )
 06 November 2017 08:05 AM

dustydazzler

Fitted lots of mk plastic boards back in my employed days as it's what the company I worked for gave us when to do board changes.
Literally Had a van full of mk split load boards.
Probably fitted 150+. Mk boards over a 6 or 7 year span.
My only gripe was the mcbs when lined up in the board would tend to 'lean'
Other than that have only ever fitted Wylex and contactum
Mk certainly seem to have fallen out of favour these days , new builds I occasionally work on seem to be fitting more and more Legrand Hamilton consumer boards
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.