Topic Title: Replace plastic trunking
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03 November 2017 04:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 November 2017 04:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

noobdiyer

Hi I live in a council house and the socket ring main has been done by using external trunking screwed above the skirting boards, I would like the chase the wires and I can't put it into a safe zone or put it 50mm into the wall, my only option according to the new regs is to use metal, earthed conduit, could you tell me what I would need to use and if it would be signed of as safe, I am chasing it into 2 walls around 11ft long with 1 bend, I would like to do a good safe job so your help is appreciated.
Many thanks
Richard
 03 November 2017 05:15 PM

dustydazzler

Chasing in 20mm galv conduit and bending into corners plus treading and coupling it to the recessed back boxes will be a right ball ache unless you are used to installing conduit on a regular basis
 03 November 2017 05:29 PM

noobdiyer

Nope never done it before, was going to buy a diamond head chasing tool, it only has 1 bend but if it works out close price wise will get a pro in to do it, any idea of rough cost?
 03 November 2017 05:38 PM

dustydazzler

Judging by today's site labour rates just getting an electrician round for the day to chop in a couple lengths of galv tube , you are probably looking at £450
 03 November 2017 05:46 PM

noobdiyer

Cheers, that's handy to know.
 03 November 2017 07:22 PM

daveparry1

As long as you can keep the wiring in line with the sockets, thereby it in the "permitted zone" there's no need for conduit, just chase the wall and plaster the cables in.
 03 November 2017 07:25 PM

AJJewsbury

my only option according to the new regs is to use metal, earthed conduit,

Not so - there are several options - a much more convenient one for you might be to use BS 8436 (a.k.a. earthshield or Ali-Tube) cable.

I'm a little surprised you can't manage to keep the cable within zones though - even running horizontally around the room at socket height would comply (even if it means you have to add an extra socket or two if you needed to run across a wall that didn't already have a socket on it), or (using a bit of extra cable) run vertically either into the floor/ceiling void or just to the 6" zone running horizontally below the ceiling.

- Andy.
 03 November 2017 09:08 PM

noobdiyer

I'm not sure what you mean, is that 5he rule where it is because it's in line with the socket, because the main wires will be going horizontal around the rooms only a few inches from the ground then will feed vertical into the sockets, as I understand it the horizontal has to be in a safe zone and it isn't therefore needs the earth? Perhaps I'm wrong? Hope so
 03 November 2017 09:12 PM

noobdiyer

I can't do any of that I'm in a concrete room with concrete walls and floor, the wires are already connected to the mains and run horizontal around the room at a height of only about 5 inches from the ground.
 03 November 2017 09:14 PM

typiod

Draw a line from the socket horizontally or vertically or within 6" of the ceiling or corner of the wall.

Edited: 03 November 2017 at 09:29 PM by typiod
 03 November 2017 09:16 PM

dustydazzler

Then repaint the entire room to cover up all the pencil lines
 03 November 2017 09:28 PM

typiod

Lol no Dusty I use a pencil the same colour as the wall.
 03 November 2017 09:32 PM

leckie

I have the answer to this problem I think, do nothing.

It's not your house, you said it is a council house, so if it's not your house, how can you make these alterations. Or have you bought it?
 03 November 2017 09:35 PM

noobdiyer

How do I post a pic on here?
 03 November 2017 09:42 PM

noobdiyer

Can do what you want in a council house as long as it's legal and done properly, did my whole kitchen out myself and put in a drywall when the surveyor came round didn't even mention it, taken out the fireplace too and blocked it all up they aren't bothered, I am buying anyway
 03 November 2017 10:07 PM

MHRestorations

Adding to all the above: if you choose to go conduit, and have the tools: go with 25mm, it'll make your life easier (if you're chasing anyway, that extra 5mm is worth it).

or maybe SWA or similar. There are many solutions to this.

Also,. remember (given where I am I am risking it!) BS7671 is advisory. You may deviate from it PROVIDED YOU'RE WILLING TO DEFEND THAT DEVIATION IN COURT IF THE WOTSITS HIT THE PROVERBIAL)
 03 November 2017 10:15 PM

noobdiyer

Originally posted by: MHRestorations

Adding to all the above: if you choose to go conduit, and have the tools: go with 25mm, it'll make your life easier (if you're chasing anyway, that extra 5mm is worth it).

or maybe SWA or similar. There are many solutions to this.

Also,. remember (given where I am I am risking it!) BS7671 is advisory. You may deviate from it PROVIDED YOU'RE WILLING TO DEFEND THAT DEVIATION IN COURT IF THE WOTSITS HIT THE PROVERBIAL)

Had a thought could I use d line on top of skirting for the horizontal then chase in the wires vertical to the sockets and just bury those in the plaster?
 03 November 2017 11:06 PM

sparkingchip

Originally posted by: daveparry1

As long as you can keep the wiring in line with the sockets, thereby it in the "permitted zone" there's no need for conduit, just chase the wall and plaster the cables in.

That's the way to do it. Mr Punch and Mrs Judy
 03 November 2017 11:54 PM

mapj1

consider the horizontal line at socket height.

Oddly before 1989 we never had these rules and some folk used to bother to do everything square but plenty did not, and if anything I see more spiked cables in newer places. But I don't do that much out in the wild these days. ...

-------------------------
regards Mike
 04 November 2017 12:43 AM

noobdiyer

Originally posted by: mapj1

consider the horizontal line at socket height.

Oddly before 1989 we never had these rules and some folk used to bother to do everything square but plenty did not, and if anything I see more spiked cables in newer places. But I don't do that much out in the wild these days. ...

The sockets are fixed on the wall externally about 10inches from the floor
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Replace plastic trunking

1 2 3 4 5 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.