IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Induction hearing systems - advice needed.
Topic Summary: what sort of microphones to cover a meeting hall
Created On: 02 November 2017 10:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 November 2017 10:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mapj1

I'm hoping that someone has already solved this.
As some will recall I help out with the local scouts here, and from time to time get involved in fixing stuff.
The main meeting hall is a large open space, with a high ceiling - think a bit like a school gymnasium, and I have been asked how we may install a hearing loop system.
Now while I understand the concepts, this is rather off the end of things I have ever had to do before.
So, two big concerns,
1) When there is no obvious stage or any PA to tap into, and sounds may come from anywhere in 100msq area, how does one decide how many microphones are needed, where to locate them etc?. Then I suppose there are issues with level balancing, agc and setting up.
2) Also are there any tricks in terms of loops. or is it as simple as a one turn coil around the hall nailed to the walls at ear height, and how do we prevent it being audible all around the housing estate, or too quiet in the hall. ?

I hope this is an adequate description of the problem - but if more info would help then just say.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 02 November 2017 11:49 PM

KFH

As a user rather than a designer/installer I have always understood that some sort of PA system with mikes for the presenter/speakers is required to provide the source. I have not heard a system which picks up all the sounds in a building as that would make the system unusable for me as part of my problem is lack of discrimination. Having the relevant sound, e.g.the speaker(s) fed to my ears enables me to hear what is going on rather than listening to a general mush of sound which the hearing aids would present if on the normal audio mode.
 03 November 2017 07:49 AM

mawry

Late one Mike!

I usually spec one of these chaps.

https://www.c-tec.com/hearing-loop-systems/200m-sq-hearing-loop-systems-ak-range/
 03 November 2017 07:54 AM

AJJewsbury

On the mic side of things I think our local church just uses ordinary mics - i.e. fixed ones in the pulpit & lectern and radio ones where the speaker is moving around. As KFH says I don't think there's much point trying to pick up general sound - the user's hearing aid will do that anyway on ordinary settings - the usual idea of a loop and T setting (or whatever the modern equivalent is) is to tune into a particular channel as it were (usually the official speaker).. If you're in a public meeting kind of situation then even the BBC still seem to have to send a sound guy around with a mic on a long stick whenever someone on the 'floor' needs to speak.
- Andy.
 03 November 2017 09:35 AM

davezawadi

Mike, Please give me a call, this is much too complex for a simple forum answer!
Regards

David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 03 November 2017 01:41 PM

mapj1

Thank you Dave, and I will take you up on that in due course; -though I want to have a chat with the person who requested it first (I am hopefully meeting up this weekend ) as I fear the idea has not been thought through properly, or the problem is not quite what I think it is.

regards Mike
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.