Increase font size
Topic Title: multi-compartment trunking breakout for cable drops
Topic Summary: how would you do it please
Created On: 31 October 2017 11:07 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 October 2017 11:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

psychicwarrior

Good morning everyone.....musing on trunking

Imagine some distribution (not dado) trunking (plastic if you like) already in that runs horizontally around a room on all walls (at height). At regular intervals there is conduit dropping down from it to sockets and light switches.

Inside the trunking there are two separated compartments...one with the mains in it, the other above for the data (or other lower voltage insulation rated cables etc), but nothing in that bit it as yet.

What's the 'correct'/'best'/'acceptable' way to get any e.g. data cable drops, from a top compartment out the bottom of the trunking past the other stuff that may be in it. How would you do it ?

Cut access through the lower parts, stick in a bit of plastic and drop the cables behind that and out the bottom.

Perhaps running data in separate trunking, but above existing creates same problem... below existing not possible as existing conduit drops prevent running data trunking continuously.

Use same insulation voltage rated date cable and do not fuss.

Other approaches....
 31 October 2017 11:21 AM

AJJewsbury

Check with the trunking manufacturer - I think most will do an adaptor that will allow mini-trunking or conduit tee-offs while maintaining the segregation. (i.e. pretty much your "stick in a bit of plastic" approach, but with the approvals and manufacturer's guarantees etc).

- Andy.
 31 October 2017 11:29 AM

psychicwarrior

Cheers @AJJ - agree....but sadly it looks cheaply constructed stuff (the divider is an insert type thing and not that clever)...no manufacturer markings on it. :-)
 31 October 2017 02:23 PM

mapj1

I have seen the holes for the conduit to cross be drilled through the divider, so the joining /crossing conduit is intact as it passes the compartment it needs to stay out of.
I have also seen plenty where no effort has been made, a great chunk has been nibled from the partition and and there are direct cross-overs between the various cables, and in reality very few problems.
However, if there was a need to add a supplementary divider to correct this, if for example the voltge rating was in doubt, I might consider sleeving, or a section of split conduit cut to bridge the gap.

or threading on a conduit nipple on the wires

Nothing more complex than that

-------------------------
regards Mike
 31 October 2017 06:48 PM

Fm

Use two compartment trunking and a T piece
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.