Increase font size
Topic Title: Labour rates
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 October 2017 04:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 October 2017 04:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dustydazzler

Some on here might remember me saying we had an issue with the shower in our bathroom. Long story short it leaked behind the tiled stud wall.
I paid to have a quick repair job to reinstate a working shower.

Now I'm thinking of getting the bathroom refurbished next year. Surprise the wife and all that jazz.

Just been quoted £1450 Labour only. To rip out , re fit a suite of our choosing and re tile the walls.
Not including flooring which is tbc.
Estimated 4 days work. So that's £362.50 per day. Yikes

When did Labour get soooo expensive ?
 30 October 2017 05:05 PM

leckie

Yes but your in Londonshire aren't you? They charge more Bob down there
 30 October 2017 05:16 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: dustydazzler

Based on recent quotes I've seen for similar work I'd say that's at the lower end of the day rate.
 30 October 2017 05:18 PM

dustydazzler

Yes. Actually Surrey , but right on the edge of Surrey/London border.
Quote is from a local builder who I have seen working in my area and asked for a quick quote.
I don't think it is necessarily overly priced but perhaps was 'hoping' it would be less
 30 October 2017 05:21 PM

dustydazzler

Originally posted by: mikejumper

Based on recent quotes I've seen for similar work I'd say that's at the lower end of the day rate.

£350-£450 per day is probably ball park for my area these days.
It's actually one of the real disadvantages of living on the edge of London.
Everyone assumes you are wealthy because where you live
 30 October 2017 07:20 PM

OlympusMons

Now I'm thinking of getting the bathroom refurbished next year. Surprise the wife and all that jazz.

I would run it by the wife first. It might cost a lot more than that doing it twice.
 30 October 2017 08:44 PM

leckie

I think that in that area the actual rate lower - about £300 - 320. It is not double the pay of the Midlands. You might get the odd builder ramping it up, but that's a bit high. People listen to all sorts of urban myths when it comes to stuff like this. Remember the Daily Mail reporting on £100k per year electricians?

Don't believe me? Check the labour agencies for the difference in rates between London and elsewhere. It's not double.
 30 October 2017 09:42 PM

Dave69

You're talking about water pipes, that makes it at least £50 an hour,

I pay my appentice (2nd year) £12 an hour and charge him out at £16 per hour along with my son (a qualified sparks) at another £28 per hour, in other words £40 for the pair and pay my son £22 an hour so I make around a tenner an hour from the pair of them, plumbing is a world of its own and a licence to print money, customers can see when water leaks and for gawd sake who would wanna stick tiles to a wall for less £25 an hour? So all in all I think you are getting a good Labour rate.
 30 October 2017 10:06 PM

sparkingchip

It's £300 per day plus VAT for four days rounded up by tenner.

So no mystery there, the only question is whether it is for one guy, a man and boy or two guys.

I'd stab a quest at a man and boy priced at £200 and £100 respectively, though the boy may be an older less skilled person.

After the builders cut that may not be such a high rate considering the area you are in.

Andy B.
 31 October 2017 11:07 AM

jonny705

Well when my friend and I used to do Bathrooms we would charge around 2k for the complete job.
Labour only , but were often well out-quoted at being too expensive, and that was in Coventry a couple of years ago.
That would be include all hidden pipe-work-spots in ceiling etc. re-plastering so neat job.

I stopped doing them as the quality of the products and the design considerations when it came to installing them are often zero , so just too fiddly in the end.
Often wastes would leak because the seals etc would be just terrible quality-I never have yet fitted ANY bath panel that actually fits properly and is well made.

I thought at first you meant the whole bathroom , then realised it was just the shower bit, so too me anyway that seems expensive, but as my Sister lives in London, I know it can me (for me) seem mad labour rates.
If I cannot earn the same or money in the same time frame as paying someone else I would do it myself
 31 October 2017 11:45 AM

dustydazzler

Originally posted by: jonny705

Well when my friend and I used to do Bathrooms we would charge around 2k for the complete job.

Labour only , but were often well out-quoted at being too expensive, and that was in Coventry a couple of years ago.

That would be include all hidden pipe-work-spots in ceiling etc. re-plastering so neat job.

I stopped doing them as the quality of the products and the design considerations when it came to installing them are often zero , so just too fiddly in the end.

Often wastes would leak because the seals etc would be just terrible quality-I never have yet fitted ANY bath panel that actually fits properly and is well made.

I thought at first you meant the whole bathroom , then realised it was just the shower bit, so too me anyway that seems expensive, but as my Sister lives in London, I know it can me (for me) seem mad labour rates.

If I cannot earn the same or money in the same time frame as paying someone else I would do it myself [IMG][/IMG]

The £1450 is to re do the whole bathroom (Labour only) not including flooring as this isn't part of the quote

We had an 'emergency' plumber come out about 6 weeks back to pull out a leaky wall in shower and put a new one in as well as re tile the wall as it all had to pulled down to get to the set in valve.
That cost us £600 inc materials. But I won't be using the same plumber as he was very expensive but did come on a Sunday and Monday. So we had to pay through the nose a bit. £500 for Labour 1.5 days.

Thinking about it £145O seems pretty fair really as I reckon it will take the full 4 days quoted. i reckon the builder will send his plumber and probably an apprentice labourer

Edited: 31 October 2017 at 12:15 PM by dustydazzler
 31 October 2017 12:13 PM

dustydazzler

Originally posted by: jonny705

If I cannot earn the same or money in the same time frame as paying someone else I would do it myself

The builder who we have the quote from has given us a list of preferred suppliers that his plumber recommended.
As like you say , he said their is loads of carp fixtures and fitting on the market that are simply garbage.
Much like kitchens I guess , there is so much cheap rubbish flooding the market it's hard to tell what to buy these days
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.