IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Hager Ashley 32A Maint Free junction boxes J803?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 28 October 2017 05:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 October 2017 05:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TimJWatts

These have been around for a few years now.

Has anyone ever had one fail on a power circuit (eg ring final)?

For better or for worse I happened to have a 32A one and no round traditional JBs which would have worked equally well here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxGOCqCJ0x5FUi00cU1fNE1NRXM

Just curious as to how others have found these in power (non lighting) applications?

I have to admit, the terminals are pretty well sprung as I found out trying to get a wire back out! The only thing I don't like (here and on lighting circuits) is the ambiguity over exactly how much of the CPC actually went in.

It will be interesting to do an end-end resistance test from the CU - did one before joining here and have 0.2/0.2/0.35...
 28 October 2017 05:45 PM

KFH

I have used them without problems. No issues with r1,r2 and rrn values.
 28 October 2017 05:49 PM

ashrow

I use them all the time and so far had no issues.
I do leave the CPC longer and find it "feels" better when using the correct sized sleeving ie i feel it go in
If i have any doubt i always give the cores a small tug outwards
 28 October 2017 06:21 PM

TimJWatts

All sounds good - thanks chaps. I got some 2mm GY sleeve as I find I can feel the conductor better )not just here but everywhere).
 29 October 2017 09:52 AM

Zoomup

If the insulating material was clear then it would be possible to see if the conductors were fully home. The strain reliefs seems to be a bit fiddly and time consuming to fit. The old brown circular junction boxes could have the main 2.5mm2 ring cable run continuously uncut through the open slotted terminals and a spur connected separately as well. Less risk of a bad connection there. A couple of cable clips either side of the old style junction box was good strain relief. Although most of these boxes were just shoved under floor boards or flung into the loft when disturbance was very unlikely.

Z.
 29 October 2017 09:55 AM

Zoomup

I do not think that I have ever come across a J401 30 Amp. old style circular junction box that needed any maintenance at all.

Z.
 29 October 2017 10:46 AM

dustydazzler

I have yet to come across a round jb anywhere that has failed on its own accord without prior physically being damaged.
The only seldom fails I have investigated is in loft spaces where the home owner has been shuffling junk all day in the abyss they call their loft and inadvertently yanked on the lighting cable and pulled so hard they have dislodged one of the live or neutrals.
When my parents pulled their 1940s scullery thing down it had a circular jb buried in the fabric of the flat roof construction for over 60 years and it never failed.
 29 October 2017 11:01 AM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: Zoomup
I do not think that I have ever come across a J401 30 Amp. old style circular junction box that needed any maintenance at all.
Z.

Other than the occasional light dusting.
 29 October 2017 11:15 AM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: dustydazzler
I have yet to come across a round jb anywhere that has failed on its own accord without prior physically being damaged.

Neither have I.

If the traditional brown jb's are not classed as 'maintenence free' then doesn't that suggest the need for a maintenance schedule?

What do you think; inspection every 40 years?
 29 October 2017 11:18 AM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: mikejumper

Originally posted by: Zoomup

Z.

Other than the occasional light dusting.

Very good, ha, ha.

Z,
 29 October 2017 10:51 PM

mapj1

If the traditional brown jb's are not classed as 'maintenence free' then doesn't that suggest the need for a maintenance schedule? What do you think; inspection every 40 years?

I appreciate that the comment is slightly tongue in cheek, but it raises a good point. In general, well proportioned and properly tightened screw terminals can form a connection that simply works, more or less indefinitely. Actually so long as damp air is excluded, and it can be by suitable grease or varnish, then the joint becomes pretty much as good as it can be.
When cables were insulated in rubber covered cotton or any other perishable, there was a natural maintenance period, determined once the cable fell apart and sometbhing went bang.
Modern plastics (be they PVC or XPLE) have a life time that has more to do with environmental factors than age. There are samples of plastic cable still in use, and in a condition to run for man years more, that date right back to the first time it became available. As such any replacements is a moving deadline, and I suspect that like cheap nuclear fusion, will be 'just around the corner', all my life so far, and maybe will be for the rest of it.
We may see in 50 years time, 100 year old cables still in service, that are some of the same 50 year old cables that are in use now, in places where sunshine, rodents and over heating are not an issue. As to joint boxes between them, there will be plenty of those too in original state too I should think.
We simply don't know, as the stuff has not been around long enough.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 31 October 2017 08:16 AM

Zoomup

The Junctions Box Song. By Arthur Thribb 13 and a half.

I'd rather have a grub screw than a spring,
Give it a little turn and it holds so very firm,
I'd rather have a grub screw than a spring.

It's a reliable little worm, so give it just a turn,
I'd rather have a grub screw than a spring.

I'd rather trust a grub screw than a spring,
It is in no way springy, it is a positive thingy,
I'd rather trust a grub screw than a spring.

And when it comes to a ring, a very demanding thing,
I'd rather trust a grub screw than a spring.

I am a poet and didn't know.........

Z.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.